Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

and another pizza closer to nailing what WE like EVERY TIME!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
One thing nice about tweaking a home made pizza recipe is getting closer and closer to what WE love. Tonight's pizza was my homemade dough recipe and homemade sauce recipe. While I did cheat and bought the mozzarella instead of making it the end result was getting closer to what WE love time and time again! I just hope all my fellow eggers keep track of what worked with each attempt and keep zeroing in on what YOU like...not what the rest of the world says it should be! Peace brothers!!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice. That's the best thing about cooking.when you get it exactly how you like it.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Looks Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    That's a nice pie. It's hard for me to do my Italian accent on this thing B-) that's the best I can do for a wise guy
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Just the way I like it...toppings edge to edge. Stupendous! !
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very nice, looks tasty. Any tips on shaping/stretching? I so want to make a round pie. I like some variety when it comes to dough taste, but really want to learn how to make a round pizza consistently. Don't know why, maybe it's from when I was a kid seeing the pizza guy toss dough.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Just the way I like it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Great looking pie Ron!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Thaazzapizza!
    I love a GOOD pie. We have a little.hole in the wall wood oven pizzeria that's the chit. I can't wait to make my own.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    One of the finest pizzas I've seen. EVER!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Looks delish Ron. Mangiare bene!
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    stemc33's last pizza looked like a Rorschach test picture ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Man, that looks good! All the toppings I love, thin crust & all!!  =D>
    You win, Ron. ^:)^
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    That looks great!!! I hope you'll share your dough recipe.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    Options
    @stemc33 @Jeepster47 @QDude
    hey guys - my secret to round pies? I learned the method from pressing my nose against the glass and watching multiple crusts being made at Shakey's many years ago! Roll out the dough and place a round template on top and cut around it! 

I don't consider it cheating as we like uniform thin crusts which stiffen up, but don't get crispy. I roll the dough out with a rolling pin, but if there is one thing I have taught myself by trial and error is I use 1 ounce by weight per inch of diameter of my pies. Hence 14 oz for 14" pie and it works every time! 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    RRP said:
    ... one thing I have taught myself by trial and error is I use 1 ounce by weight per inch of diameter of my pies. Hence 14 oz for 14" pie and it works every time! ...

@RRP ... that approach doesn't sound right. 

1) 14 oz for a 14" pie results in an oz of flour per 154 sq inches of crust ... or approximately 0.09 oz per square inch. 

2) Now, cut the diameter in half to 7" and you've got 7 oz of flour divided by 38.5 sq inches of crust ... or approximately 0.18 oz per square inch. That's double the amount of flour per square inch as the 14 inch pizza.

What am I missing?

• RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    ... one thing I have taught myself by trial and error is I use 1 ounce by weight per inch of diameter of my pies. Hence 14 oz for 14" pie and it works every time! ...

@RRP ... that approach doesn't sound right. 

1) 14 oz for a 14" pie results in an oz of flour per 154 sq inches of crust ... or approximately 0.09 oz per square inch. 

2) Now, cut the diameter in half to 7" and you've got 7 oz of flour divided by 38.5 sq inches of crust ... or approximately 0.18 oz per square inch. That's double the amount of flour per square inch as the 14 inch pizza.

What am I missing?

Tom, My finished dough ball weighs 23 oz time and time again. That ball is from 2.5 cups of KingArthur Best for Bread flour and 7 fluid oz of water, plus yeast, sugar and salt. I weigh out 14 oz and then with the other 9 oz I place it In a mini bread pan for a tasty mini loaf. I let both rise for 90 minutes in the oven that I had preheated to 200 degrees and then turn off once I place the dough ball and mini loaf in.

Being an engineer you might appreciate this picture of my thin crust! LOL
  • Durangler
    Options
    =))
    Caliper crust measurement!
    That's funny!
    Love it!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Good looking ZA. Except for those slivers of green. (can you tell I don't care for them). You made me hungry though. Nice going.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm trying really really hard to stay out of this

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    I'm trying really really hard to stay out of this

thank you, Michael...
  • Jeepster47
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RRP said:

Tom, My finished dough ball weighs 23 oz time and time again. That ball is from 2.5 cups of KingArthur Best for Bread flour and 7 fluid oz of water, plus yeast, sugar and salt. I weigh out 14 oz and then with the other 9 oz I place it In a mini bread pan for a tasty mini loaf. I let both rise for 90 minutes in the oven that I had preheated to 200 degrees and then turn off once I place the dough ball and mini loaf in.

Okay, please do a test for me the next time you make pizza.  Roll out the 14 oz ball to achieve your normal 14 inch diameter crust.  Then roll out the 9 oz ball to the same thickness.  Your rule-of-thumb suggests that it will have a 9 inch diameter.  My guess is that it will be a little over 11 inches in diameter.

Yes, it does sound like I'm tilting at windmills, but ...

Edit ... made a mistake in the calculation and corrected it in the above write-up.

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Okay, please do a test for me the next time you make pizza.  Roll out the 14 oz ball to achieve your normal 14 inch diameter crust.  Then roll out the 9 oz ball to the same thickness.  Your rule-of-thumb suggests that it will have a 9 inch diameter.  My guess is that it will be a little under 6 inches in diameter.

Yes, it does sound like I'm tilting at windmills, but ...

@Jeepster47 - I'll try to remember, but it will be 4 weeks before I make my own dough again. I had another thought though. I use a full packet of yeast plus 1 T of sugar in 7 ounces of 105 degree water to foam for 8 minutes. Could it be that with such a small amount of flour I end up with more volume in my dough ball and therefore have more dough to spread due to the gaseous consistency than the sheer mathematical approach you are using?
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    I made a mistake for the first calculation and ended up with a six inch pizza from your 9 oz ball.  That type of difference would have been obvious.

With the correct calculation, the 9 oz ball will roll out to slightly over 11 inches.  Roll it just a little thicker and it'll approach the 9 inches you're used to getting.  Plus, since you trim the edges, that will cloud the "mathematical" numbers even more.  I'll put my lance away and leave the windmill alone. 

• Durangler
    Options
    Where's that pizza guru with the private recipe he won't share?  :-??
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    **** just got real with the calipered dough, and mathematical equations!! That is what I love about this forum,we're a bunch of overeducated foodies that come together to celebrate, and debate, the foods we love, and the way to cook them.
    :-B :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Ron, could you share your thin crust recipe? I have been looking for one and have been unable to get the thin I want so far after trying 5 different recipes. Your crust looks exactly like what I want.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Ron, could you share your thin crust recipe? I have been looking for one and have been unable to get the thin I want so far after trying 5 different recipes. Your crust looks exactly like what I want.
    Sure! Here you go!

PAPA MURPHY KNOCK OFF CRUST

(actually a variation thereof and tweaked to my liking - RRP)

Preparation time: 2 hours!

Ingredients:

For 14” thin*           

7 oz warm water**            

1 packet active dry yeast

1 T sugar

2 ½ cups flour for bread

3/8 tea salt

* even at this when rolled out thin there is enough dough left over to make a small loaf of bread!

** warm water in microwave to 100 to 105 degrees. (30 sec on high)

Directions:

Mix together the first three ingredients in a glass container with a two cup or larger capacity. Allow to sit for eight minutes. The mixture will froth somewhat.

Place flour and salt in a large bowl or in the mixing bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. Add liquid to flour and mix thoroughly for six minutes on #2 speed on your KitchenAid. The end result should be slightly sticky and firm.

Remove from mixer bowl and place in a metal bowl sprayed with PAM, cover bowl loosely with Saran Wrap and place in warm oven for 90 minute to rise. (Preheat oven to 200 degrees but when reached turn off and place dough in oven.)

Roll out with flour dusted rolling pin.

I bake at 425° dome. BTW I roll my crust out on parchment paper. 8 minutes into the bake I removed the paper and by just 12 to 14 minutes in total that crust and pizza is perfect!

FURTHER HINT:  I have found that this recipe makes 23 oz of raw dough when weighted. Then by weight I divide the ball into one 14 oz piece for making a 14" pizza. the other 9 oz is made into a small loaf of bread.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have never heard of tea salt... is that new???  ;);) 
  • RRP
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I have never heard of tea salt... is that new???  ;);) 

yeah...its on the shelf next to the T sugar
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Ron i don't care how you  get your 14" pizza it looks Great anyway you slice it
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now