Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better than nothing.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
For the past month I have been working some pretty long hours. Haven't got to cook at all. Thought since I got in a tad early today that I would fire up the large and the mini for a quick meal. Steaks and pork loin. The mini will take care of the steaks and the loin will go on the large indirect. It ain't much but it beats the heck out of take out.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Good looking beef
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Are you leaving the wood on the grate for the loin cook? Or is it just for show and tell? LOL
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SGH
    Options
    GATABITES said:

Are you leaving the wood on the grate for the loin cook? Or is it just for show and tell? LOL

It will remain there for the duration.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Steaks real good! 3:-O
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    SGH said:
    It will remain there for the duration.
    Is there a benefit to having the wood on the rack? Oh yeah, I havent seen you post any cooks on the MM. If you did I must have I missed it. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Looking good @SGH

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    SGH said:
    Is there a benefit to having the wood on the rack? Oh yeah, I havent seen you post any cooks on the MM. If you did I must have I missed it. 
    I do not recommend placing wood on the grate. It's something I have done for years and kind of know how to do it without turning the food bitter. I only do it when I'm really pressed for time. Again I do not recommend doing it. I haven't posted any cooks in over a month due to work other than the venison I cooked at work on Unit #6. My MM has not even been assembled yet. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Poor lonely MM :-<
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options

Poor lonely MM :-<

Not for much longer brother husker!!

Status- Standing by.

• CowtownEgger
    Options
    For the love marbling! 8-}
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• SGH
    Options
    Pulled at 133 internal. Nothing special, but not to bad to be done on the fly.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Great marbling on that beef brother @SGH, good to see you post, I know your working a lot, I'll check back for the money shots.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • mitch2264
    Options
    I would bite that!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks good to me!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Brother, I can't imagine a month! I've been traveling all week for work and my egg feels neglected. First night at home and the wife wanted to go out. X( guess I don't blame her as she's been home all week with the boys. Still, I wanna cook! That grub looks great!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pork looks nice. What was your cooking temp? I ask because of the 133* pull temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looking great as usual SCH Hope everything is going good
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
     What was your cooking temp? I ask because of the 133* pull temp.
    Due to time restraints, I ran this one at 425 degrees.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    piney said:
     Hope everything is going good
    Doing good brother. Just working insane hours 7 days a week. Got to do my part to take care of those democrats ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH said:
    piney said:
     Hope everything is going good
    Doing good brother. Just working insane hours 7 days a week. Got to do my part to take care of those democrats ;)
    i'll text you later and tell you about me waking up after the deal Monday They all got a good laugh
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
     What was your cooking temp? I ask because of the 133* pull temp.
    Due to time restraints, I ran this one at 425 degrees.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I'm learning more and more to pull earlier when cooking hot like that and let carryover finish it up.

Those steak shots look like fun, I especially like the one with flame shooting out the top.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    piney said:
    i'll text you later and tell you about me waking up after the deal Monday They all got a good laugh
    Brother I will be free most of the day. They are doing a Dead Weight Survey on the barge today and I don't get involved with that so im free to text and talk. Give me a shout anytime my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:

I'm learning more and more to pull earlier when cooking hot like that and let carryover finish it up.

Exactly brother D. The higher my cooking temp, the lower my internal pull temp to compensate. Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead I would have pulled it at 125 internal but the wife will not eat. Thus im sometimes forced to compromise against my will. Oh well, it keeps her happy.

Status- Standing by.

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'm guessing with the marbling in those steaks they're somewhere in the low standard grade :-\"

Those look incredibly delicious.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    Options

logchief said:
    I'm guessing with the marbling in those steaks they're somewhere in the low standard grade :-\"

Those look incredibly delicious.
    You would be shocked if I told you where those steaks come from. I couldn't hardly believe it when I saw them. And thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Those are some mighty pretty steaks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks awesome - agree, pictures with the raging fire are great! Are you seeing improvement in steak price/quality? I saw some ribeyes at Costco recently for $9/lb that were almost prime quality, and the 15$/lb prime looked incredible.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks pretty dang good! I know you said you don't recommend putting a log on the cooking grate but what is the benefit compared to putting a chunk in the coals?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe