Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Temps

Options
Currently have a butt on since midnight. After eight hours in with a grate temp of 255F, the bone side of the butt is 170F while the other is 190F. I assume the bone is keeping the meat cooler. Do other folks see this as well? The 190 F portion is probing quite nicely, but the 170 F is pretty resistant still. I flipped the butt around to hopefully slow cooking on the hotter temp portion to let the bone side catch up. I realize this is a little over thinking and just cook ti lit probes well, just curious what others do.
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Just give the bone a little twist, it should loosen from the meat with little effort and you know it is done.

Gerhard
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Good point, sometimes I over think things! Thanks man.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did one yesterday, leave it on until it probes tender in most places - at that point the bone is real loose like @gerhardk‌ says.

(EDIT: I think you are in the stall that pork does.. not really a full stall like a brisket, but a slowdown)

I had my probe near the bone and pulled at 195. I went super low, 225.. bumped at the end to 240. 21 hours :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sweet graphic. I pulled the majority of it and left a decent size piece to continue to render down. The bone pulled clean but parts weren't pulling to my liking.

Our guests will be arriving a little later than anticipated so FTC and possibly the fridge is in our future.

@sumoconnell What controller does that software support?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    It is the heatermeter, a great DIY project. I went 'full nerd' on that.. this was my first long cook with it and it did very well. The yellow bars are where I opened the lid (open lid detection). As you can see, I slept soundly from midnight to 8:30 AM, and the thing stayed solid. At noon, I put on some sausages for lunch, took them off a half hour later.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/An-Introduction-to-LinkMeter---HeaterMeter

I was a solder technician wokring through college, so I really enjoyed the project. Just took a couple hours of assembly of the circuit.. Creating the fitting for BGE was the hard part.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.