Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen shut

Anybody have this happen?  Took a hair dryer to it and got the daisy wheel off, but it's a no go on the lid.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!  We have 19 people over for a brunch soon and the Egg is out of commission. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Stuff a starter cube or oiled paper towel into the ash box via the bottom draft door and light. Keep all vents open. Chances are if there was any lump left it will ignite and start warming up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Don't force it, it will tear off the gasket. Starter cubes are your friend
    Fort Mill, SC
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    You can light it from below with a starter cube or an oil soaked paper towel. I have also heard of people light some lump in a chimney and using things dropping some of the lit lump through the exhaust hole on the dome.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Should i drop it down the opening at the top?  I think i have the ar rig in there with the indirect baking stone in there.  I don't want the starter cube to break the stone.
  • grill4us
    edited January 2015
    Thanks DMW & Mattman3969 - I'll try that.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    If using a cube I would put it in the ash tray under the lump Just open the bottom vent screen and slide it in and light it. If there is still lump in the egg it will ignite.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    This is another reason to get the stainless smokeware cap as the lid on it always comes off and doesn't freeze on like the ceramic one does thus making it easy to drop in a lighted cube  etc.It's worked out well for me up here in Newfoundland where it is always freezing,snowy,windy and miserable....geez i'm moving to Florida!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    edited January 2015
    +1 on the cube thru the bottom vent-to keep the lid from freezing, layer some aluminum foil around the lower gasket when you shutdown.  Solves the lid-to-base freeze.  Never have had an issue with the ceramic top and a freeze.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I won't go so far as to say they are impervious to freezing, but rutland gaskets seem not to. Mine is 5 years old and has never frozen.

Won't help you today of course, but something to consider for the future.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    When its freezing here quite often the bottom vent is frozen shut also.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Quick question ... when your egg freezes, was the last cook a low and slow?  So far, my egg has not frozen at the seal.  But, after the last six hour cook at 250 with thee digiQ, the bottom vent froze up.  I've noticed moisture in the digiQ adapter after a cook ... wonder if the low temps contribute to a build up of moisture.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited January 2015
    grill4us said:
    Anybody have this happen?  Took a hair dryer to it and got the daisy wheel off, but it's a no go on the lid.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!  We have 19 people over for a brunch soon and the Egg is out of commission. 

To prevent this in the future try placing a quarter in the between the dome and the base.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited January 2015
    I keep a 60 watt incandescent light bulb on a drop cord hanging through the chimney all winter on all three of my Eggs. Keeps them from freezing shut, prevents condensation which can also lead to cracking, especially in the fall or spring when temp changes during the day/night will lead to condensation along with heating/cooling/heating/cooling from winter cooking.

If it's already frozen shut then droppping a light bulb in now will unfreeze it in about an hour depending of the size of the bulb. 300 watts will get that thing open in about 20 minutes.
  • grill4us
    Thanks everybody.  It is now open!  Starter cube thru the bottom vent worked just fine.  We're in the middle of an ice storm here.  I will try the aluminum foil during the shutdown.  I'll consider the stainless smoke ware cap.  This forum is the best.  Really appreciate the help.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    You can foil your cap too. Won't hurt a thing.
  • DMW
    Another option is to use a wood skewer as a "bite bar" between the dome and base. I did that with mine last night and this morning after a nice coating of ice from freezing rain, they opened with no problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Here's a picture of the skewer in use. Note the sheet of ice on the dome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I agree with @meathead1974!!!  Too bad I learned the hard way.  When you force it the bottom gasket rips off and you end up buying a Rutland gasket.  When that happens get in contact with @rrp.  He will take care of you the right way and quickly.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH