Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where for art mine Turkey Leg!

Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a medium BGE this weekend and it will be delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! I have picked out some great steaks to be the first meal from it but I soon after want some smoked turkey. [p]Every since going to a Renaissance Festival and tearing into a gigantic smoked turkey leg, I have been addicted. I've seen recipes for whole turkeys but I only want to do 4 - 6 legs. What would be the best way to do this? Any secret spices or wood chips that would go well with the bird legs?[p]Thank ye!
PP

Comments

• Pig Picker
    I will answer one of your questions. Without any doubt Pecan is the wood to use with turkey.
    Fireball

• Fireball,
    Do the legs, using th indirect method, at 350 to 375 degrees, 20 minutes per pound. I have never done just legs, however thay should cook about the same as a whole turkey or a turkey breast. The legs should be done at an internal temperture of 180. Take them out at about 175 wrap them up and let them rest, the temerture should rise about 5 degrees.
    Fireball

• Pig Picker,
    Which Ren Fest do you go to? We are going to Michigan Ren Fest next week, for our 17th year of Festing.
    Fireball

• Lord Fireball,[p]I attend the Ren Fest near Charlotte, NC since I live near there. Thanks for all the tips. I look forward to hoisting a leg with a grand Huzzah![p]Good Feasting Milord!
    PP

• My Lord [p]It should be proclaimed that all who cook turkey legs or Scotch eggs at Ren Fests should cook them on the Ye Royal Bigge Greene Egge. Spread the word throughout the land.
    Huzzah!
    Lord Fireball

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Fireball, don't forget ye old brineage, for especially tender and incredibly juicy gobbler gams! Quaffing ale whilst yon smoke tendrils play about their chores is a highly desireable past-time too! Personally, I STILL like hickory in my bird meat. I've tried pecan, it just doesn't have that special something.