Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well doesn't this just suck

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Hose barb in the line from the well let go this morning. Nasty bit of flooding in the basement. All the floors pooched and drywall is all soaked. I love winter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hope you have good insurance.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Ouch. Time to kick back some suds yourself
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ouch- good luck Steven. Hope it all turns out as well as possible
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Been there but, ours is located about 200' from the house outside. Basements in FL are far and few between.
    Silver lining is at least you weren't out of town when it happened. Can it be dried up without losses? Hopefully. Sorry this happened to you man. :-q
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No basements in Texas. Get here as fast as you can.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    72 and sunny here today.....er....I mean sorry buddy. Sucks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Oh man that is terrible. Hope it works outs for you quickly. Water damage sucks big time.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It turns out that it didn't happen suddenly. The drywall, baseboard and quarter round are all moldy as hell. Fun wow!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh man Steve, that does suck.  Sounds like it's been leaking for awhile and finally let loose.  If so, the letting loose was a silver lining ... extensive mold is a **** to get cleaned up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That does suck.  Doesn't take much water to do damage.  We had a 20 gallon fish tank break and ended up having to replace floors in the entire family room. closet, bathroom and kitchen.  Good luck.
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about this Steve. I always worry about that when it gets really cold.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Steve. The only time we ever had water in our poured basement was when we were at work and a stupid water softener pipe broke. At least it was clean water and I caught it that night when I came home, but water is water just the same!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Been there had that.  Sump pump failed during mid winter defrost and rain storm.  Other half had already left MD for CA assignment.  Only good thing, basement unfinished.  Took almost entire day to pump out the water.   
    And yes it really does sucks.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Reminds me of this time last year. At least I was awake when the water line went.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Oh man Steve, that does suck.  Sounds like it's been leaking for awhile and finally let loose.  If so, the letting loose was a silver lining ... extensive mold is a **** to get cleaned up.
    The service company stayed till 11 last night. All the flooring is up and 2 feet of drywall is pulled off. They say the dehumidifiers will have to run for a week. They sprayed mold treatment everywhere. I think it will be OK.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    As mentioned at least you caught it and were in town. Still sucks.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Man that sucks! I went through that Shi$ a few years back. Hope you get back to Egging soon.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Better than finding this is your basement.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I asked you to stop posting that. I was young then.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not nice, hope it all works out as best it can. 

Was it a freeze or just an "aged" vintage part? Amazing how much water a submersible will pour into your house. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thought it was a freeze at first but it turned out to be an eroded hose barb

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    That sure sucks Steve, glad the damage is under control.  Years ago our old water heater started leaking but I discovered it the first night we returned from vacation, got lucky.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That sure sucks Steve, glad the damage is under control.  Years ago our old water heater started leaking but I discovered it the first night we returned from vacation, got lucky.
    Helping a friend (ESL) go through some questions they have regarding renewal of their home owner's policy. They did not realize they had $0 coverage for internal water damage if they were away from home for more than four days and did not turn off their home's water supply. This includes damage from burst pipes due to freezing (for the same four days) during the heating season. The actual heating season is not defined. 
    LS's misfortune might give some of us a reason to check out their policies. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I just told the adjuster that the fitting eroded. He said he would have to check the policy to see if we're covered. Never say anything to an adjuster that they don't ask directly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Shitttty

Sorry to hear dude

Had some water issues last winter

Drums and a Les Paul sitting in water, is a kick in the nutz

Hope you get everything cleaned up quick

with minimal insurance company crap

Gonna get a hold of ya this week

Shane

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Shane. I think that strip loin is just about ready.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, now that you mentioned it I think we did turn off the water main.  I've heard of folks using the toilet one last time before leaving on a vacation and the toilet tank valve malfunctioned and never stopped filling till they returned, ouch!
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, now that you mentioned it I think we did turn off the water main.  I've heard of folks using the toilet one last time before leaving on a vacation and the toilet tank valve malfunctioned and never stopped filling till they returned, ouch!
    THAT is exactly what happened to a neighbor of mine! Ended up doing $80K of damage!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Man that sucks. Hope the insurance covers everything for you and they don't squirrel out of it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker