Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordered a new cutting board today

Options
2»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sorry but I have not had luck with the edge grain boos blocks. I have a large end grain boos rolling butcher block and its great but I am on my 2nd edge grains boos in probably 3 years and its starting to split in several places. I have several boards and know how to care for them and baby them but the edge grain are not near the quality. If you watch the cooking shows that use the edge grain boos blocks look closely when they zoom in I have seen alot of episodes where they are splitting.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Did you look at their tables.... Holy crap, I'd about kill to get one but SWMBO'd turn me into jerky for spending much more $$$ right now!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @lit what is the thickness of your edge-grain boos? Mine is 2.25 inches thick and has zero signs of wear besides knife marks after 4 years of basically daily use. I had some 1 inch JK Adams boards that split within 6 months. My parents have a 30-something year old boos that is also 2 inches thick and looks great.
  • gmoor6
    gmoor6 Posts: 22
    Options
    How do I order one of those knives?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @gmoor6 Google "Bushkill knives" and his site will pop up. Unfortunately, he is not taking new orders for the next 6 months.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Legume said:

knife like that - you not only have to keep it clean (love the dishwasher idea), but you also have to keep it sharp.  get yourself one of these babies.  opens cans AND sharpens knives.  forget that new crap on the market, vintage is the way to go

I used one of those when I was a kid to sharpen my Dad's pocket knife. He never got over that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I got a board from here. http://theboardsmith.com Carolina slab and love it.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @gmoor6 Google "Bushkill knives" and his site will pop up. Unfortunately, he is not taking new orders for the next 6 months.
    @eggcelsior Helps to know him ha. I actually thought outside of the three production models he has it was closed to public for like 12 months. 

@gmoor6 if you want something send me a PM. I can't promise anything faster but if you are willing to be flexible on exact details I might be able to get you something sooner. 

he is such an awesome guy. I have other knives by him including a necker I bought right before Christmas. I intended to give the necker as a gift but fell in love as soon as a held it and have not been able to give it away. I am still going to gift it but I am going to use it a bit first. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Lit said:
    Sorry but I have not had luck with the edge grain boos blocks. I have a large end grain boos rolling butcher block and its great but I am on my 2nd edge grains boos in probably 3 years and its starting to split in several places. I have several boards and know how to care for them and baby them but the edge grain are not near the quality. If you watch the cooking shows that use the edge grain boos blocks look closely when they zoom in I have seen alot of episodes where they are splitting.
    @lit
    That is not great to hear. Hopefully I don't have the same issue but glad you shared 
    Boom
  • Lit
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ mine is 1.5" thick its 18" * 24".

@FanOfFanboys‌ the one in the link looks more finished than the one I have and its thicker. One thing I will suggest is get a spray bottle with white vinegar and keep it around for wipe downs after cutting veggies. Also if you wash it you need to have somewhere for it to dry where all sides are elevated.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Don't waste your money on butcher block oil. Just pick up some mineral oil. It's the same thing.
    Thanks, that was actually going to be a question!
    It may cost more, but I would stick with Mineral Oil that is "food grade".
    Who knows what kind of crud is in generic mineral oil, may have petroleum residue or other crap not meant for human consumption.  You can still save money by not buying the brand name stuff, but I wouldn't use mineral oil from a paint store or a hardware store.  Just make sure it says "food grade" somewhere on the label.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is some cheap good stuff.
    Mineral Oil Food Grade

OK, shipping might not be so cheap if you get free shipping from amazon.

But you can also see what is in the pharmacy dept at Walmart, if it's good enough to be used medicinally, it's good enough for a cutting board.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Amazon has the John Boos RA03 24-by-18-by-2-1/4-Inch Reversible Maple Cutting Board on sale for $79.95 with free shipping. 

Is this a good deal?

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Lit
    Options
    It seems like there are others that had the same experience as me. Several say theirs split. Save money and go end grain if possible. Also edge grain shows wear. I had to take the oscillating sander to mine once already to get the cut marks out and it needs it again and its in the 2 year old range. My end grain shows zero signs of ware and are better for your knives.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @Lit.

I appreciate it.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose