Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some guidance!!!

Options
bigdogk9
bigdogk9 Posts: 69
I bought a 15 pound brisket to throw on the egg this evening. Been wanting to try john Henry's Texas pig rub. Would anyone recommend it? Will be using digiqx2 to control the fire. I'm in no hurry to get done so doesn't matter if takes 12 hours or 20. What's the recommended temperature? Will also put Apple wood in unless something else is recommended. And one last thing. Direct or indirect?

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have never had John Henry's Texas Rub but if it sounds good to you and smells good than go for it. I would recommend 250 dome temp and figure on about 1.5 hrs per pound. Apple is fine, however most people on the forum prefer Oak and I really like a combo of Pecan/Peach. I like to go indirect with an elevated drip pan with 1/2" of fluid and fat cap down.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bigdogk9
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!! Will an xl burn for 22-23 hours at 250? I will load her up before I start.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:
    Thank you for the info!!! Will an xl burn for 22-23 hours at 250? I will load her up before I start.
    If it is loaded up I am quite sure you can burn that long.  I doubt it will take that long- the 1.5 per/lb is just a rough guideline.  

Also have you trimmed it?  You might loose 1-2 lbs of fat when it is trimmed. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Load it up to the gills with lump and plenty of wood chunks throughout. I prefer Oak on brisket but, to each their own. Dry rub prefer simple S&P. Enjoy the sweet smoke. Good eats to you. Will watch this thread.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    Have not trimmed it yet but sounds like I need to. Just left my egg dealer and all they had for wood chips is Apple. Going to go to Walmart as bad as hate to and look for oak!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:

Some brands of lump burn longer than others. These pics show wicked good in my large, before and after an 18 hour 250* cook. imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hello @bigdogk9, welcome to the club.

I've never tried that particular JH rub, but in general I've found their stuff to be VERY good. Apple should be fine for a brisket, but Oak is often best with beef if available. Hickory is nice as well, but can be overpowering for some meats. A brisket can handle a fair bit of smoke flavor, so don't be afraid to use 3 or 4 nice big chunks of whatever you choose.

I would definitely go indirect and probably use a drip pan filled with water if you have a way to do that. 225-250 is a nice temp to shoot for and will probably be finished in 15-20 hrs. If you fill the XL it'll burn that long easily. My XL likes to settle in at about 250 and I really struggle with it lower than that, but the controller will help you there. Be sure to start the fire and let it burn for 30 min or so before putting the brisket on, or you'll get some bitter chemically smoke flavor.

Rub liberally, don't peek for at least 15 hrs, post pics, and most importantly enjoy!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options

Here's one of a series of Aaron Franklin brisket you tube videos that are full of good info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU  Check them out should you get the chance. 

Don't be surprised if you can't find oak (depending on where you are located).  The Jack Daniels chunks or chips are a great substitute.  Others use hickory or cherry.

And if you want more home-work here are a couple of eggcellent sites: This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ Check out the recipe section for brisket.

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. Will be watching
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bigdogk9
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the info!!! I've been an egghead for 7 years now. I don't post a lot but would be lying if I said I didn't read the forum every night!!! I just picked up jack Daniels oak whiskey barrel chips and from the smell of the bag going to have to pick up a bottle of whiskey now!!! Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to post pictures also!!!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    it's been a while since I've used john henry's and I can't remember which rub it was - I would just caution to check the saltiness before you use it.  I've gone heavy with some rubs and ended up with a bark that was near inedible d/t salt, others it's not a prob, but that's the one thing that dictates for me how heavy I can go with the rub
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler and we all love it, not too salty.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I no longer use commercial rubs. Too easy to mix up a batch with my choice of ingredients. These days, salt (lack of, actually) is important to me. Very little, often none, goes into my rub mixtures. Don't miss it at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I'll echo what has already been said, 250 grill temp indirect, drip pan with very little water in it (raised the pan off the PS with balls of foil).  My most recent brisky was rubbed with equal parts kosher salt and coarse black pepper only.  I used 4 good chunks of pecan, worked just great.  My 13.7 pounder was trimmed to 11 lbs, 13 hours later I had a very juicy, tender, flavorful brisket.  Good luck, my friend, and good eats.
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    What's the internal temp. of the brisket I will be shooting for?
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    Here it is. 250 indirect with little water in the raised drip pan. Used big green egg lump, jack Daniels oak whiskey barrel chips, and I went for the Texas pig rub. Did not seem salty at all but it was sweet. Digiq is dialed in at 250.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bigdogk9-With 7 years under your belt we should be asking for enlightenment from you-but glad you came out of the shadows and joined this entertaining forum.  
     About brisket and temps, this one is truly about "feel" (and if good you can feel the "feel" w/o any temperature guidance...but that's a whole 'nother topic).  The key is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat (regardless of a solo flat or packer cut) and get around "no resistance" in either direction; "probes like buttah" is the phrase.
    Depending on the quality of cut (higher end tend to get there at a lower temp) most start checking at around 190*F and then around every 30-45 mins after.  Some yield the "feel" at that temp (very rare) but with most you run up into the high 190's to low200's (*F).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigdogk9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    image I don't know where the 0 went but it's sitting on 250!!!!
  • bigdogk9
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ Thank you for the information. I started with an xl and egging turned into an obsession for me. I now have 4 eggs and can cook just about anything on them but a pizza and this is my first brisket. I hope it turns out. Tried pizza several times and it just never turned out for me!!!
  • lousubcap
    Options

You are welcome-and all we look for is to "pay it forward". 
    All I would now offer is "don't pay any attention to what's happening with the point"-It has enough fat content to ride along just fine with however long it takes the flat to get to the finish-line.  And I am in the "eat the point" and no burnt ends but that is your call.  Aaron Franklin has a good video on how to slice the packer-give it a look and enjoy the eats!
  • bigdogk9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here she is. 14 hours and 10 minutes to reach 190. I hope it taste better then it looks. Wrapped in aluminum foil and going to slice in a couple hours.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Looking good so far.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bigdogk9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have to be honest. It's not bad but not the best I've ever eaten. Lots of room for improvement!!! Will not use the rub again. On the other hand, my wife and 2 little girls are eating the heck out of it. I believe I will just use salt and pepper on the next one.
  • bigdogk9
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Options
    Looks incredible.
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    @TEH68‌ Thank you!!! Not bad but feel like the rub took away from the brisket.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bigdogk9-every cook is a learning eggsperience.  That said, if the texture and moisture are what you like then changing the rub is an easy plus-up for the next-one.  Humor us-don't wait seven years to give the brisket another go!!  Great eats right there!  Enjoy.
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ Lol!!! Will not wait that long. I'm kind of person if I get in my head I will get it right sooner than later!!! Like I said, it wasn't bad but I will never do the rub again. To be honest, I like just salt and pepper on my ribs, chops, and loins.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You will not go wrong with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper-add a little garlic powder and you are "home-free".