Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO OT - maybe it's just me but this drives me bananas

blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
I'm a fairly recent BGE fan.  Ok, if I'm honest, it's more of an obsession.  That said, until I joined this forum I had never seen SWMBO.  I looked it up on urban dictionary, and to my dismay it stands for SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!

This phrase seems to  be used widely on this great site; used commonly by many of the the sites most respected, and helpful posters.  In addition, I'm sure that I have some phrases that irk some others, so I'm not being judgmental of those who use this phrase.  I also have the greatest respect for a healthy marriage, and it's nice to see a husband or a wife show respect to their partner.  

That said, I've got to be honest, when I see this specific phrase I have an instinctive negative reaction.  My stomach tightens up and my muscles tense.  I feel sympathy for the man who is reduced to using this phrase.  He is on a manly forum discussing manly things and he is reduced to talking about his spouse as if she is his mommy.  I fully embrace equality.  I have difficulty accepting the man being the obedient child doing only what he is allowed.

Ok - rant over.  You can completely disregard me, as I'm single and happily divorced for a many years.  Maybe I should have led with that as it would serve to explain my disdain for this acronym.  Carry on, and have a nice day.
Phoenix 

Comments

• blasting
    edited January 2015
    Just for reference, when I use it the BO = Bend Over.  Has a much nicer ring to it.  Man I hope she doesn't read this. 
    Ok, if that is the underground useage, maybe I need to retract my post, lol.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Jeremiah said:
    @Blasting: HWIWTT "he who is way too touchy" is your new name here. <:-P
    Thank you, that is the nicest thing anyone has called me in a long time.

Maybe it's a me thing...
    Phoenix 
  • Its called Humor. Not many take it literally
  • blasting
    edited January 2015
    Before this spins out, just to let you all know, I'm not actually bent about this.  It was meant as a humorous rant by a single guy who has no dog in the hunt.
    Phoenix 
  • That's the key.......  SINGLE guy!!! 

He just don't know yet!!

Kidding, brother @blasting.  Welcome to the madhouse......  Consider yourself to have been baptized by the forum!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    blasting said:

Before this spins out, just to let you all know, I'm not actually bent about this.  It was meant as a humorous rant by a single guy.

Now you know why. You don't obey ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Can we ban yolo and brraa while were at it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting

That's the key.......  SINGLE guy!!! 

He just don't know yet!!

Kidding, brother @blasting.  Welcome to the madhouse......  Consider yourself to have been baptized by the forum!

Ahhh, or am I cagey like a fox?  Nevermind, you'll all get to know me and find out that's not true anyway.
    Phoenix 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I have to laugh, my best friend refers to his ex-wife's new boyfriend as the perfect guy for her because he is "obedient", just what she needs in a man that my buddy couldn't give her.

Happens to be, for me, the funniest insult I've ever heard.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blasting
    WeberWho? said:
    what does brraa stand for? (it isn't on urban dictionary)
    Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ever see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? There's a scene where the lady who hopes to be a bride asks her mother why she so readily consents what dad, the husband, demands. The mother's answer, as best I can recall goes like this:

"Your father is the head of the family. But I am the neck, and where the neck turns, the head will follow."

SWMBO is a husband's way of doing much the same thing. Just a little deference to keep communication channels open.
  • blasting
    Funny, my dad used to say "she tells me to jump, and I just ask how high".  He was doing the same thing I'm sure.
    gdenby said:
    Ever see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? There's a scene where the lady who hopes to be a bride asks her mother why she so readily consents what dad, the husband, demands. The mother's answer, as best I can recall goes like this:

"Your father is the head of the family. But I am the neck, and where the neck turns, the head will follow."

SWMBO is a husband's way of doing much the same thing. Just a little deference to keep communication channels open.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I ordered a Stoker yesterday and still haven't told SWMBO...

You don't have to obey if you don't ask permission.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You just have to know where the flower store is @DMW
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    blasting said:

Before this spins out

#-o Too late Homie! This is the official Friday rant while your three sheets to the wind thread.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    DMW said:

I ordered a Stoker yesterday and still haven't told SWMBO...

You don't have to obey if you don't ask permission.

Ooooh big man....until MaMa gets wind. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • blasting
    Before this spins out
    #-o Too late Homie! This is the official Friday rant while your three sheets to the wind thread.
    NPHuskerFL - that's ok - let it run and I'll see how badly I've been skewered when I get back later today.  Maybe next Friday I'll post my dislike for the idea of men being pushed into a small part of their homes called the man cave.  That ought to win a few people over, lol.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    blasting said:
    Before this spins out
    NPHuskerFL - that's ok - let it run and I'll see how badly I've been skewered when I get back later today.  Maybe next Friday I'll post my dislike for the idea of men being pushed into a small part of their homes called the man cave.  That ought to win a few people over, lol.

I'm not pushed to my man cave, I run to it. That's where my bar is...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited January 2015
    I don't particularly like the saying. The only SWMBO is my mom. I'm 37 so I haven't had to obey anyone for the last 18 years. It's used on too many forums far too much. I can imagine it was funny when it was first said, but now it's just insulting...

I can't imagine the day that my wife said do-this or don't-do that or-else... like wise she'd never hear that from me either...

Aurora,OH
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    \:D/
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I call my wife "Bridezilla". I don't know if that makes a difference or not. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @blasting‌; I have used the SWMBO before, but not all the time. My better half knows it all in fun. My 5 year old son keeps saying daddy your older, your in charge right? I tell him no that for mom and I are both in charge, but she sometimes has the final say. We both talk about everything we do and spend money on even if it is just lunch. There are times when wants something and ask if it is ok and there are more times that it goes the way and she says we can't afford it. My wife was skeptical about the Egg, because of the price, but now she sees how happy I am and I do most of the cooking now. Today I get to egg again for the first time in 2 months. I will be doing a new later. Trying pizza for the first time this weekend. Today I am prepping some of my meats for either Saturday or Sunday. By the way welcome to the Eggdiction. Being that you are single you can get all the toys you want for the egg, just be careful it adds up quick.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Wife. Not SWMBO. Remember to be your wife's knight in shining armor not a PITA. And there's always time for a kiss. Just saying.
    Woman Kisses Man Next to Her on Kiss Cam After Da…: http://youtu.be/Qh0BwuxHRAg
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    SGH said:

S= She

W= Who

M= Must

B= Be

O= Obedient

Or else she gets the big hand to the head.

:D
    LOL!!!! There is nothing funnier than domestic violence! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    blasting said:

WeberWho? said:

It went from brother to bro and now bro to brrraaaa.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    It went from brother to bro and now bro to brrraaaa.
    I thought it was "brah".