Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement Poll

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a little trouble getting my Egg to settle down the last couple of cooks, and seeing that I get a pretty good view of the fire through the space between the base and the dome where the gasket used to be, I figure it's time for some gasket replacement therapy.[p]Being that I haven't needed it before now, I have largely ignored all of the gasket replacement threads on this forum over the past 7 years, so I find myself wondering, what's the best material? BGE felt? Rutland rope? Other? What size? One side or both? [p]Thanks & Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Citizen Q, I use the BGE felt. nI do the felt I clean the whole thing real nice. A few days later I'll fry the gasket and wait 6 months to replace it.

• HolySmokes
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    with a good fit, in 18 mos. I haven't had to replace mine
    yet, but I'm thinking I'm going to opt for a ceramic
    replacement on at least one surface, which I expect to be
    semi-permanent, and if it isn't a good enought seal, I'll
    use a replacement for the mating surface which has somewhat longer life than the felt.
    will post when it's happening!
    good luck. let us know what you find and do.
    HS

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Citizen Q, I went with the Rutland on my large, then my small, then my other small. I'm happy with them.

• OctoberGlory
    Options
    Citizen Q,

Installed the Rutland on my large years ago - no problems.

OctoberGlory
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Citizen Q,I used the BGE felt last time. Put a double Layer on the bottom, nothing on the top. Works Fine. Looks like the Felt works good as long as you don't get the Egg hot enough to burn it up.

• SuperDave
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p] I put a Rutland on and didn't feel right about the fiberglass being around the food. The mothership suggested I take it off and replace it with the felt for safety, so I did. Until Big Green Egg releases a new gasket I plan on using the felts.
    Don't want to eat fiberglass, regardless of the other opinions on the forum, I'm sticking with whats safe... That is if I ever get to use it again! Oklahoma is under a burn ban since Christmas! Please pray for rain for Oklahoma eggers!!!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Replaced mine about 4 times in the past 7 years. I use the BGE felt. not really that difficult. Just make sure you clean the surfaces really well before you apply the felt. Take about an hour or so. At the same time I give the big silly a through cleaning. Eggie always feels so refreshed when I re-gasket and clean him.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    have you tried loosening the bands and reseating the dome. i have 2 eggs with practically no gasket and after reseating the dome every thing was fine again. i will not be replacing the gasket on those. my third egg has a wavy surface and i have a rutland on it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smoke 'n Things
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Just replaced mine last month and used the BGE felt gasket. I did a major overhaul of my six year old BGE and replaced the gasket, draft door, and hinge.[p]My original gasket lasted 6 years. No problems with frying the gasket, gaps/leaks, and top/bottom alignment. Maybe I was lucky with a good aligning egg.[p]I think the key to the replacing the BGE felt gasket, is doing a real good job of removing the old gasket. I tried various things and what worked for me was a razor blade scraper that got the bulk of the old gasket off. Then used my MAPP torch and a stiff wire brush. I heated up a 3 inch section for about 10 seconds and then would use the wire brush.[p]Smoke 'n Things

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Gene,
    That double layer thing seems like a pretty good idea. But, I was thinking, wouldn't it be more effective putting it on the top instead of the bottom? It seems like most of the gasket damage I get is on the bottom as flames lick up around the platesetter and pizza stone. [p]Anybody else tried the double layer trick?

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    edbro, Don't have to worry about flames or heat with the Dome open.

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Gene,
    It is while opening I usually get the flames licking up around the platesetter. Sort of a mini-flashback. I can sometimes see flames come up and seem to bend back down over the bottom dome gasket. If the fire is hot enough, even with the dome already open you can see flame coming around a pizza stone (and right back over the gasket). [p]