Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slumming on an Akorn

Options
I am too cheap to get an Egg (much to the dismay of my son Travisstrick) but the price of the  rod and reel I used to catch this halibut would exceed the price of a medium egg and all the accouterments .  To admit my fishing addiction, I have more than a dozen rod/reel combo’s that exceed the cost of a BGE.  I caught the halibut in Homer Ak last summer.  

I used the internet to search for recipes to make my halibut meal.

i settled on this for the fish sauce:

Zest of one lime
Juice of two limes
2 tbl spoons of Dijon mustard
1 tbl spoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl spoon of finely chopped green onion
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper

mix in small bowl and smother fish in the sauce.  I used a ceramic bowl but aluminum foil would work too.

Broccoli:  

6 cups fresh broccoli spears
3 tbl spoons lemon juice
3 tbl spoons olive oil
1/4 tea spoon salt
1/4 tea spoon pepper
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 

Combine lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper and drizzle over broccoli and let it marinate for a while.  Put cheese in a large zip lock and put broccoli in bag and shake to coat the spears.  

Potatoes:

I used small baby dutch and cut in half, placed in a small bowl, then cooked in microwave for 3 minutes and placed butter on top to melt.  Then salt and peppered prior to placing on the grill.

Wine:  Inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc in a jelly jar

I used indirect heat at 300 degrees and started the fish first.  It was about 15 minutes when the fish was at 110 degrees internal temp. I then placed the broccoli and potatoes on the grill and allowed the grill to flame up.   Another 12 minutes the fish was at 140 degrees and the veggies were done.  

I confess to being a bit of a fish snob.  That being said, this was delicious, first rate.  Any white fish would work great, snapper, grouper etc.   I added sour cream to the potatoes and mopped the last of the fish in the sour cream to great effect.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Go dad go!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've never pulled a fish out of water that was bigger than 2 hands together, and that was when I was a kid. I think I've missed out on a part of life I need to experience...

That meal looks great!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Don't eat fish...but love fishing. Never caught a halibut but that ones looks nice.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @travisstrick ... come on ... this is the man who raised you?  And, you're not showing your love by buying him an egg?  What kind of a son are you?  Poor man has to fish just to eat.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• travisstrick
    Options
    He's made more money in a day than I make in a year. He'd have 10 if he wanted one.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I did give him a lg plate setter to use. It's the one Mickey gave me.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I don't see the family resembelance.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking grub brother. Nothing wrong with slumming either. I cook on a ole wore out and broken down Weber myself.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Welcome aboard.

Nice meal.  Several of my friends have Akorns and I cook on them from time to time.  It's an excellent grill. 

Halibut fishing in Homer is a real treat.  When we went, it was more like "harvesting" than fishing.  From the time we put our lines in the water to the time all 6 of us had our 2 keepers only an hour and 15 minutes had passed.  The captain knew we would get some goodWe probably threw back two dozen that weighed between 15 and 20 pounds.  We spent the rest of the day catching salmon. 

Do you go there often?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard-I'm sure Travis has alerted you to all the workings of this forum.  Regardless, great catch and cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    nice looking meal, might try that with some haddock this weekend, been along time since ive seen a halibut on this coast. nothing wrong with to many rods and reels, i wouldnt trade any of my good ones for an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That's an awesome fish. Looks like so much fun. Nice cook.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    nice- everyone has their passions. You don't have to have the best to love it, but when you really enjoy something it makes the nice equipment worth the ride. Done a lot of fishing in my life but would love to do the Alaska trip sometime soon
    Greensboro, NC
  • buddyclaude
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Welcome aboard.

Nice meal.  Several of my friends have Akorns and I cook on them from time to time.  It's an excellent grill. 

Halibut fishing in Homer is a real treat.  When we went, it was more like "harvesting" than fishing.  From the time we put our lines in the water to the time all 6 of us had our 2 keepers only an hour and 15 minutes had passed.  The captain knew we would get some goodWe probably threw back two dozen that weighed between 15 and 20 pounds.  We spent the rest of the day catching salmon. 

Do you go there often?

No,  it was the first and most likely the only time for me.  I am lucky I have a friend who has a killer lodge outside of Homer and I stayed for a month.  Roger on the 'harvesting' the halibut.  I did catch the first, most and biggest flattie on the cattle call charter out of Homer.  While I was there we had two days fishing for Sockeye.  Also I helped my friend fire up his BGE for the first time.  We feasted on steak and salmon most every night.  The sockeye was outta this world when grilled on a cedar plank with fresh dill on top.

After cooking a few meals with the Akorn, I find myself thinking about getting a minimax.