Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snake River Farms vs Costco/Sams Choice Brisket

Options
Is there much of a difference to justify the added cost to buy from Snake River Farms versus a choice brisket from Costco or Sams?
McKinney, TX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, the results aren't even close. If you have access to good prime grade brisket locally, maybe not. But run of the mill choice, yes, big difference vs. SRF.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Can you make a great brisket from Costco or Sam's, of course you can. Can you make a "make your wife/significant other weak in the knees" brisket from some where else, yes you can. If you can afford it SRF is undeniably a great product. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Learning to cook the brisket perfectly is a challenge in itself.  The Egg does give you advantage in doing so, I would suggest work on cheaper briskets and then move up when you feel you have the cook down. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    SRF vs Choice brisket from anywhere - not even close. Like NFL vs High School. If you compare to a Prime or CAB Prime, you may come closer.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're good, no.
    Options
    I agree with the "trial" on a lesser brisket...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I wouldn't know...never had a SRF Brisket :-<
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    snake river farms briskets are hand cut, says so on their site
    :-\" 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

There is a definite difference between the SRF brisket and a prime or choice cut.  Does the cost justify the difference...a personal decision.  Better quality of meat reduces the challenges of hitting the "sweet spot" on a brisket cook and to me has a better flavor.  A good prime cut brisket is definitely my routine brisket selection.

However, around 3-4 times a year I will spring for the SRF "black" brisket.  I enjoy the cook and the flavor profile.  It's all in what you value.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Dang, @lousubcap‌ you were a capt and you're not splurging for the gold?! Haha

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried one yet either...it is on my to do list one of these days when there is a sale.  I don't think I could find a prime brisket in the metro-atlanta area for much cheaper.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• greenenvy
    Options

What are you guys paying for your packers? Around here, I usually get them at HEB, where occasionally their Prime 1 packers run around $4/lb, but usually closer to $5/lb. Costco usually has Choice, but I haven't had much luck with Costco briskets or steaks for some reason.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one from SRF and looking forward to the cook.
    McKinney, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
     I ordered one from SRF and looking forward to the cook.
    Once Waygu loses its edge, give Akaushi brisket a try. It's a real treat as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Last time I was at costco they had prime stickers on their briskets. They weren't bad at $4.29/lb
    Also I love costcos prime steaks in the blue styrofoam. Super good.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    ummgood said:

Last time I was at costco they had prime stickers on their briskets. They weren't bad at $4.29/lb

Also I love costcos prime steaks in the blue styrofoam. Super good.

@ummgood‌ just make sure you're cooking said steaks to 160F as recommended since they blade tenderize their beef.
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    Wow crazy I never knew this. I just checked the label and sure enough. I have been cooking them warm pink center for years. Bummer.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No harm, no foul-and @ummgood-I'm with you on the Costco prime packers (when in stock).  The best deal going in these parts!  I load up when they are available.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's not fair, Costco doesn't sell brisket in CA.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA