Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Firebowl is Magically In One Piece!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I use the Mini and Small almost exclusively now and haven't cleaned out the Large for ages. I decided to clean it out today. The firebowl has been in three pieces for about 10 years, and of course I can live with that. A few years ago I noticed it was kind of glued together, I guess with grease. 

Today I lifted the firebowl out by grabbing the vent hole and holding the other side carefully. Still in one piece! 

I used a bubble level to make sure it was in right when I replaced it. 

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That's cool Judy! You, my friend, are a real trooper...not everybody even knows how to use a bubble level! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    I've got to ask, why the bubble level??
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • RRP
    Options
    noregard said:
    I've got to ask, why the bubble level??
    LOL - Judy lives in California...get it? LOL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... and you've accused me of being OCD with my egg!!!! 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @RRP ... and you've accused me of being OCD with my egg!!!! 
    Last I knew you and I don't rock and roll here in IL! Judy can Jitter Bug daily out there!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    A bubble level is put on a horizontal surface to see if it's even with the ground. If the bubble is in the center of the display you're good. If it's off to the side, readjust.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry ... okay, but you told me that you cook on your patio, which I assume has a level floor.  The nest (or table) was manufactured with parallel surfaces ... extremely hard to distort.  And, it would be next to impossible for the base of the egg and the fire bowl horizontal surfaces to get out of kilter.  Thus, it seems like overkill to check for a level fire bowl.  But then again, I could be a half bubble off.

• Judy Mayberry
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47: You know what ASSUME means, don't you? My concrete patio tilts away from the house and it's hard to find a level spot. Let's just assume I know what I'm doing after 13+ years at this.
    Judy in San Diego
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Hmmm…. I still don't get it.  (not the function of the level, I'm well versed in tools), but why the need to get the egg so level.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Self healing from usage. That's pretty freaking crazy. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @Jeepster47: Suppose you have a skillet on the grid that has oil in it. Now picture it tilting downhill. Is the oil still level in the skillet? Tell me.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    If your bubble level is off, how do you level the fire bowl?

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @Jeepster47: Suppose you have a skillet on the grid that has oil in it. Now picture it tilting downhill. Is the oil still level in the skillet? Tell me.
    Now Judy..the real question is......if johnny runs faster than mary,,,and mary is running down the hill the BGE is tilting on....how long will it take henapple to make naked bacon pictures...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Judy Mayberry
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dear @Jeepster47: Move the Egg to a spot where it's level.

Dear @bsnave: IF Johnny runs faster than Mary...that is not going to happen.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Touche' Judy..well played

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI