Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pasties for dinner

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Pasties were imported to the UP of Michigan with the miners from Europe.  The mines have long since closed down, but pasties are still a local specialty.  Since I married one of the locals, pasties have been in our family for quite some time.  We decided to give them a try on the egg tonight.

The ingredients, and even how to cut them, are a source of disagreement among the locals ... much like our lump discussions on the forum.  These "traditional" pasties were assembled with a course ground mix of beef and pork; sliced carrots, potatoes and turnips (rutabaga is normal, but wasn't available); and diced onions.  Salted and peppered to taste with a dab of butter added. The ingredients were wrapped in a "secret family" pastie crust.

Egg was set up with Rockwood, a PSWoo, plate setter, and grill.  The pasties were placed on a CGS stainless steel drip pan ... looks like it'll now become a baking pan.  Temp was dialed in at 400 degrees and the pasties were baked for 52 minutes.

And the final view ... with the obligatory silverware.

Both of us were pleasantly surprised with how the eqq baked pasties tasted.  The moisture in the egg contributed greatly towards preventing the crust from drying out ... hard to explain, but easy to eat.  Although we did it as a novelty, we'll be baking pasties on the egg again.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Sounds like an interesting flavor blend & I think I would like it. Nice cook

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Cornwall is the home of pasties. They rock! Miners would take them down pit for lunch.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great! And how did you arrive at the 52 minute timer setting?  8-}
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    That's cool, Tom! I only know that term from an earlier life...but those look tasty! I assume the miner's wives cooked them and the miners ate them cold the next day. Right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    @DMW ... pasties are cooked until the potatoes are soft - via a fork test through the slits in the crust.  Taters passed the fork test at 52 minutes.  :P

• rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Where is your wife from? I'm from Sault Ste Marie, MI.
  • Jeepster47
    edited January 2015
    @rosem ... Hancock, MI ... further north than you are ... I was once told that half the Canadians live south of there.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    That's not what I call a pastie >:)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Yeah, pasties mean something entirely different down here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks like an empanada. ..regardless, looks awesome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    @henapple ... did not know that ... thanks for the connection.

It's also amazing how every culture seems to have their own "egg roll" like food ... egg roll, chimichanga, lumpia, etc...

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Pasties were, and still are, very popular in NE PA coal region. A hearty meal you could easily carry into the mines.
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited January 2015
    Pasties are phenomenal. We go up to St Ignance and just to the west of I75 is the best Pasties in the UP....we go snowmobiling around Bond Falls and Copper Harbor..the bars have Pasties all the time

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• I grew up just south of the bridge (yeah I'm a troll not a goat) Cheboygan. Used to eat these with the pasty in one hand and a packet of McDonald's ketchup in the other. Ahhhh memories!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Me and the family were lucky enough to make the trip up to Pictured Rocks. Pasties were wonderful. One place somewhere on S.R. 28 (I think) had the best. It was a converted house, one of just 4 - 5 buildings along the road. The pasties were just about perfect. Pure comfort food.

I've since tried making them a few times on the Egg. Not nearly as good, but still really satisfying. Rutabaga adds a nice bit of peppery flavor.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks good!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Hey where are mine? I believe I was the one who asked Mrs. Jeepster for some.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    RRP said:
    That's cool, Tom! I only know that term from an earlier life...but those look tasty! I assume the miner's wives cooked them and the miners ate them cold the next day. Right?
    @RRP ... when fully cooked, the pastie was said to stay warm in the miners lunch box for six to eight hours.  Can't say if that is true or not since we either eat them or freeze them when they come out of the oven.

The best pastie I've ever eaten?  The pasties my wife cooks ... plain and simple hands down.  Her mother cooked the first one I ever ate ... and my wife has slightly modified her recipe to improve it.  But, I'll still eat store bought ones.  Right after Christmas we brought home a cooler full from a bakery overlooking Portage Lake in the Copper Country ... sadly they're gone already.

• Jeepster47
    Hey where are mine? I believe I was the one who asked Mrs. Jeepster for some.
    Son, you really need to learn how to cook.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I've been to the UP several times and was always surprised to see a pastie shop pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Kind of like bars in Wisconsin. If two county roads cross, build a bar there. LOL Not necessarily a bad idea.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I love pasties!  My grandmother used to make them and the bakery on the main street of town had them (tasty breakfast pasties with sausage and potatoes!).  It's not a common food item out her in Kalifornia unfortunately and the bakery has long since gone away. 
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    caliking said:
    Yeah, pasties mean something entirely different down here.
    Yep, same here!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    I grew up in northern Minnesota, and we ate a lot of pasties.  I used to get them shipped down here, but haven't had any in a few years, I liked mine with ketchup on it. 
    Rowlett, Texas
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Wow!
    Double yum!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    I like mine with brown gravy...and my wife makes great Pasties

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Last summer, my lovely wife and I found a little restaurant on the east side of Allegan owned by some former Youpers. Pasties were excellent. Now, if you were going to try some chicken, would you start with raw chicken?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Jeepster47
    @erniemcclain ... have no experience with other than the traditional beef/pork mixture. 

The cooking time should be close for chicken as compared to the traditional meat.  The white meat from the chicken will be dryer than beef/pork, so you might have to experiment with adding butter. Try one and report back ... would love to hear your results.

• rtbarry
    rtbarry Posts: 33
    Great idea! Love pasties. Have to try this.