Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone order a stoker recently? I am trying to be patient but I want it bad!!

Options
I ordered my stoker for my LBGE and extended the probes to 6'. My order was on 12/27 and they charged my card on 12/29. The email said all orders ship in 5 to 7 business days. Well even if I don't count NYE or New Years 7 days was this past Friday and my order still shows in process. I will probably call on Monday I'd it doesn't change. If anyone has ordered recently about how long did it take to get shipment notification?
Austin, TX
BGE-Large, Weber EP-330

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    When i ordered mine it said 5 to 7 days also but it took about 3 weeks to get it.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    bo_mull said:
    When i ordered mine it said 5 to 7 days also but it took about 3 weeks to get it.

Thanks! I guess I am too spoiled by Amazon Prime.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    It's worth the wait tho. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Got mine within a week of ordering it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Birthday coming up next month.  Whats the verdict?  Stoker, DigiQ, CyberQ?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• ummgood
    Options
    Birthday coming up next month.  Whats the verdict?  Stoker, DigiQ, CyberQ?

First decide if you want wifi or not. If you don't save yourself money and get a digiQ or partyQ. If you want wifi do you want to control multiple pits or not. The stoker is the only one for multiple pits. I only have one smoker but who knows what the future will hold. For me the Stoker was slightly cheaper, was metal, and I am a nerd and it is more my style.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Stoker for me.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ummgood
    Options
    Got mine within a week of ordering it.
    Wow that is fast.  I am guessing they are back logged because of all the people ordering at Christmas like me who got some money and knew exactly where it was going :)
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    My history with them is they are slow to deliver and respond.   In the past I got no email response but when I called them, they were very helpful and "johnny on the spot".  I have the older non wifi unit and a newer wifi unit.  Very good.  You will love it.  Good luck
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ummgood
    Options
    I called today and they said it is due to ship out today or tomorrow.  I can't wait!
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ummgood said:

I called today and they said it is due to ship out today or tomorrow.  I can't wait!

You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Fantastic product.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ummgood
    Options
    haha Well in reality I have only been cooking on the egg for a little over a month so I didn't wait too long.  
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ummgood said:

ummgood said:

haha Well in reality I have only been cooking on the egg for a little over a month so I didn't wait too long.  

\m/ B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My wife said in 5-7 days. ..took 3 months.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ummgood
    Options
    henapple said:
    My wife said in 5-7 days. ..took 3 months.

It took you 3 months? Wow.

Well if I don't have any shipping notification by end of next week I will contest the charges and buy a cyberq.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Ok I am let down by this whole thing.  I might be being impatient but I am unimpressed by the service thus far.

Monday I called and the phone was immediately answered.  The person who answered said he didn't handle orders and the guy who did was on the phone and took my phone number and said he would call back in 10 or 15 minutes.  Never got a return call.

Tuesday I called and the person seemed to know about shipments and said he would check on my order.  He told me that my order would go out either "Today or Tomorrow".  Ok awesome!  Well "Tomorrow" was yesterday and I didn't get any shipping notification and my order status on their website says "Pending" like it has since Dec 27th.

I don't mind them taking awhile since they are a small business but 

#1 Either update your email/website to let people know you are backlogged.  
    #2 Don't make estimates on the phone you can't guarantee.  I am more than willing to accept when you are back logged because you have a great product and it is the holiday season.
    #3 Don't charge my credit card weeks before you ship me a product (it was charged on 12/29).  I have a limited amount of time I can contest the charge and you better believe I will contest the charge if I don't have something in my hands within 30 days.

Am I being unreasonable?  I really wanted the stoker but they are killing my excitement over it.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ummgood said:
    Ok I am let down by this whole thing.  I might be being impatient but I am unimpressed by the service thus far.

Monday I called and the phone was immediately answered.  The person who answered said he didn't handle orders and the guy who did was on the phone and took my phone number and said he would call back in 10 or 15 minutes.  Never got a return call.

Tuesday I called and the person seemed to know about shipments and said he would check on my order.  He told me that my order would go out either "Today or Tomorrow".  Ok awesome!  Well "Tomorrow" was yesterday and I didn't get any shipping notification and my order status on their website says "Pending" like it has since Dec 27th.

I don't mind them taking awhile since they are a small business but 

#1 Either update your email/website to let people know you are backlogged.  
    #2 Don't make estimates on the phone you can't guarantee.  I am more than willing to accept when you are back logged because you have a great product and it is the holiday season.
    #3 Don't charge my credit card weeks before you ship me a product (it was charged on 12/29).  I have a limited amount of time I can contest the charge and you better believe I will contest the charge if I don't have something in my hands within 30 days.

Am I being unreasonable?  I really wanted the stoker but they are killing my excitement over it.
    I do not judge a company like this by their customer service/website, etc. I judge them by the product. If they have the customer service, that is a bonus. The product in this case is worth whatever short term setback you have.  

That being said, I bought a DigiQ....And from the local retailer.  Took it home the day I bought it.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Jerald
    Options
    Did you get it yet?  What is the verdict on the product?

• ummgood
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jerald said:
    I do not judge a company like this by their customer service/website, etc. I judge them by the product. If they have the customer service, that is a bonus. The product in this case is worth whatever short term setback you have.

Thanks! I really do take customer service into account when I purchase something. If two companies make a comparable product and I'll choose the one with better service. What if it breaks and I need a replacement and I don't know if I can trust them to replace it in a reasonable time. If it has a warranty the customer service matters. That is why I love Apple products and the Apple store. 

It is like considering Time Warner Cable. I have their cable internet and I like the "product". But the customer service is Hell! When I have a problem (which has been 3 times in maybe 8 years) I go through hell. I get crap added to my bill, I have to deal with someone in another country that makes me do things over and over again that I already tried (I am a computer engineer). I have to call every 6 months to a year because they want to increase my charge by 50 or 100%. I would take a speed cut if half if there was a reliable customer friendly company that would take my money but there isn't.  So it isn't just about the product because I would take a lesser product for the same money to get better customer service.  I can't wait for Google Fiber.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Jerald
    Options
    I understand completely, I am just saying sometimes the product is the product you want and I am not going to do without because of the bad service.  I cannot find a phone company with great customer service, but I still have one.

• ummgood
    Options
    Jerald said:
    I understand completely, I am just saying sometimes the product is the product you want and I am not going to do without because of the bad service.  I cannot find a phone company with great customer service, but I still have one.
    I gotcha!  Well in my case I might have to get a CyberQ if this doesn't pan out.  Both are very similar I just liked the raw programmability of the Stoker better.  Plus I tinker in software for Windows and iOS and would love to make some stuff to make my life easier and I think the Stoker lends itself to that more.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Jerald
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dude...I am a tech junky like you would not believe (Geek before it was "cool").....However, I am big on appliances too - Things that just do the job and do it well, like the DigiQ.  

I wish I could put a big on/off button with a turn knob for sound and channels on the front of my TV so that my wife could operate without using me as tech support.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I remember reading of experiences like yours when I was looking for a controller about 5 years ago. Still at it I see. That's one of the reasons I bought a Guru. Well that and the fact that I couldn't care less about wifi cooking, connecting multiple cookers or (especially) graphing the meat temp from one minute to the next. I just wanted a plain old temp controller.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If you are a mac user, go get the Stoker X software.

Very helpful.  You can see the entire cook which is reassuring when you wake up in the morning and you start wandering what happened the last 8 hours. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Any company should be judged as a whole and that includes customer service IMO!

One thing I hate with a passion is someone lying to me. Whether it be about a ship date or whatever. I can accept that it's going to take a bit longer than expected, just tell the damn truth. When a person lies, it just makes it worse because now it's being expected.

However it's only been 17 days since your card was charged which isn't too too long considering the holidays just went by. I would give them another call and demand the truth or ask for a refund.

On another note, I got a Guru and have been very pleased with my purchase.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Customer service is part of what you are paying for. I like the advice from @r8rs4lf. Either get the order info accurate or refund my damn money. Thats what business competition of for, having options. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • ummgood
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    Any company should be judged as a whole and that includes customer service IMO! One thing I hate with a passion is someone lying to me. Whether it be about a ship date or whatever. I can accept that it's going to take a bit longer than expected, just tell the damn truth. When a person lies, it just makes it worse because now it's being expected. However it's only been 17 days since your card was charged which isn't too too long considering the holidays just went by. I would give them another call and demand the truth or ask for a refund. On another note, I got a Guru and have been very pleased with my purchase.
    I'll probably call Monday if they don't ship it by then.  I have a kid with the Flu and have been on the phone a ton for work so I just don't want to bother.  I agree about the days it really isn't that bad except for the fact they set false expectations.  Here is the start of the email I received on the 27th.

Thank you for your order.

** ** All orders ship in 5-7 business days. ** **

It has been 13 business days since my order and if you take off 2 days for NYE and NY you get 11. So they are already way off that mark. Then they made another estimate they didn't keep.  And I hate the lying as well.  Just tell me "hey we are working on orders and are backlogged.  We appreciate your business so just please be patient with us or if you are unable to wait we'll issue a refund".  If they said that I probably wouldn't have my panties in a bunch.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Plus it doesn't help that I have everyone asking when I am going to try a brisket here.  Then I always tell them when I get my stoker and they say "oh you haven't gotten that yet?"  It just intensifies it.

4Runner said:
    If you are a mac user, go get the Stoker X software.

Very helpful.  You can see the entire cook which is reassuring when you wake up in the morning and you start wandering what happened the last 8 hours. 
    Thanks I plan on it!  I have both windows and mac machines so I'll be comparing :)

Jerald said:
    Dude...I am a tech junky like you would not believe (Geek before it was "cool").....

Me too.  I had a linux box as a router on a DSL line in '96 before they even made stand alone routers for home use.  If you wanted a router you either had that option or you had to buy an industrial router built for office networks that were insanely expensive.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@ummgood I have ordered 5 Stokers for both myself and family. Only once did I have shipping issues. It was an out of stock issue due to model change. I needed the next model and not the current at the time.

I will say I am extremely pleased with the new Stocker II. It has a couple of new items in the software.

I would just give them a call.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    On that topic....will they upgrade your unit if you have the first WIFI unit or is that not possible?...anyone know?