Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine & Dine

Options
Barefoot Pinot Grigio. Used the vinturi and it definitely made a difference.
imageimage

RW with a couple of Applewood chunks.

CI pan blackened Grouper.
imageimage

Pears from Harry & David from our good friends in PA from Christmas.
imageimageimage

Plated.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks good Blake! Your wine thing to me is what my rack was to some. #-o
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    If I had to guess...does it add air to your wine?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Two thumbs up. :-bd Is the MM the favorite now? Way to sneak in the BGE S&P shakers. I like mine, salt pours out like a McDonalds shaker salting fries.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great looking meal... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Thanks Carl! Yes, the vinturi instantly aerates releasing aromas and exquisite flavor that would normally require a bottle to "breathe". This does that to each glass poured through it instantly. We have one for white wines and one for red wines. There's definitely a difference in flavor etc. using the vinturi.
    @stemc33‌ Thanks man. The MM is used a lot for sure. Not sure about favorite. I love em both. But, the MM size compels me to use it in smaller cooking situations. I do tend to use it a lot. This was a meal for 4-5 people. The MM is definitely earning its keep around here. B-)
    @johnmitchell‌ Thank you :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Nice...very nice

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    cazzy said:

Looks good Blake! Your wine thing to me is what my rack was to some. #-o

@cazzy‌ You have a rack? That explains a lot... :-\"
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • VandyCatGator
    Options
    Meal looks awesome (and healthy). Can you give some more info on your setup? Looks like you used a plate setter? What was your temp? How long does fish sear for? Thanks for the help. Been wanting to try more fish besides salmon on the egg.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I let my beer breathe only the amount of time it takes to pick it up and swill it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    We have a venturi we got at Costco but is there a different one for white and red wines?
    Dunedin, FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks awesome. Blackened grouper sandwich is one of my favorites. What seasoning do you use?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Looks great, I have some cod I need to cook tonight, I think I know how it is going to happen now.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    yzzi said:

We have a venturi we got at Costco but is there a different one for white and red wines?

Yes. Two different venturi for red & white. Don't ask me the difference ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks great, I might need to pickup some fish today while I'm out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking cook for Wine Wednesday.  I might have to look into one of those aerators. I have had success using an immersion blender but the presentation leaves something to be desired. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    We have a venturi as well.  How is this one for you....

A very unscientific blind taste test was done by drinking the wine from the same bottle among 10 different Cab Sav wines (the type of wine they say benefits from breathing the most) ranging from $8 - $63/bottle.  One glass went through the venturi and the other did not. Among 6 of us, we were able to tell which one went though it exactly 50% of the time. Interestingly, we did notice a big and better difference in both the least and second most expensive bottles. Like day and night difference. It was the bottles in between which yielded different results to different people as to which glass tasted better after going through the venturi.

Fast forward a few weeks: we did the same test, but no venturi. 9 of the 10 bottles were the same wines used in the previous test. We opened the bottles 4 hours before the test began. Immediately upon opening, we decanted 12 oz of each wine into brand new glass jars, filled them to the rim, and put the glass lid on it eliminating as much air as possible. The balance of wine was left in the bottle with the cork removed to allow it to breath naturally. Results: 4 people chose the wine allowed to breath naturally as being better 7 out of the 10 glasses. The 2 people chose the naturally breathed wines in 9 of the of 10 glasses as the preferred glass.  What was more interesting: one wine that was chosen to be better among all taste testers when it did not breath.

Interesting, huh?

Since we usually know what we will be eating well before we start cooking, we open the bottle and decant it into a decanter between 2-4 hours before drinking whenever possible. If we will not be home in that time window, we will sometimes open it in the morning, and leave the cork off it to allow it to breath all day in the bottle.

We are not wine snobs but we do like wine. A lot. We drink it often - 2-4 bottles a week.
    We have a good idea of what to pair with what dish. 90% of our wines are between $8-$14. Of course there are some bottles that are for special occasions and opened only when it is the two of us. ;)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

@Sea2Ski, our results have been similar although our experimental methods are slightly different.

We drink 1-2 bottles a week.  When I open a bottle, I typically pour one glass through the aerator and one glass straight from the bottle.  Then I have my wife taste them both without knowing which is which.  She usually (maybe 60% of the time) prefers the aerated wine.  I taste them both but I am obviously not blinded.  I usually prefer the unaerated.  I then let her drink whichever glass she prefers.  What has become very interesting to both of us, is that when we don't aerate, we can really appreciated how the taste evolves over time.  We particularly like how most wines taste about 20-30 minutes after they have been poured.  This has made me suspect that using an aerator provides an immediate 1-2 hours of "breathing" such that some wines benefit, but some others overshoot the mark? 

Regardless, as long as you don't take it too seriously, it is a lot of fun to play around with this stuff. 

@NPHuskerFL, great cook.  The Barefoot wines are some of our favorite inexpensive wines.  How did you cook the pear?  How do you know it is done?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Meal looks very healthy. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'll describe the cook later. Working... :D
    imageimageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    very nice cook - that is my kind of meal!  Also, that minimax looks bada$$
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    very nice...can I ask where you got that CI pan?
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Love my Venturis. Makes me feel sophisticated.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Love my Venturis. Makes me feel sophisticated.
    Are you implying that wine in a blender lacks sophistication???

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

very nice...can I ask where you got that CI pan?

HuskerMaMa got that one on Amazon when it was on sale a while back. I don't see it on there anymore (shows unavailable). It is a 10" Camp Chef fluted pie pan and it's available at many different locations per a quick Google search. It works perfect in the MM.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Oh biff, is it from Napa or Murfreesboro?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Foghorn‌ the pears really don't get done per se. The only thing I would have done differently is removed the plate setter so they would have got more radiant heat for better color. On these I was at 450℉ indirect with PS Woo set-up. They were real ripe and already soft so I didn't want them to become too mushy. They were on the egg maybe 5-7 minutes.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌. ..red pears halved and hollowed, goat cheese, walnuts and wrapped in bacon. Match with a nice Chardonnay.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    @NPHuskerFL‌. ..red pears halved and hollowed, goat cheese, walnuts and wrapped in bacon. Match with a nice Chardonnay.
    I thought you just followed recipes???

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @blind99 the seasoning I used on the Grouper (and most of the blackening I do) was Badia Gourmet Blend Blackened Redfish. I like it. Some blackening blends are too salty and this one has great flavor (I just dust it and let the pan do the work).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014