Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: headed to Costa Rica - suggestions?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Wife and I just used our FF miles / Hyatt points to book a 5 day trip in Costa Rica.  So far, just got hit with $90 for airline tax - not to hateful.  We will be gone the first week in March.  Has anyone spent time in Costa Rica?  Any suggestions for things to do  . . . and of course, things to EAT !?!?  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• NDG
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just realized that my 1,000 post    :-bd

PS as I am sure you are all wondering  . . . last trip of pure freedom as this is our baby making trip . . BROWN CHICKEN BROWN COW! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    My wife and I spent time at Punta Islita resort on the beach. I can't wait to go back there. We also spent a few days at Tabacon hotspring resort. We flew small planes between each resort, and contrary to America, everything went without a hitch. Those Costa Ricans treat you very well.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The best food we had was in the Sodas. Just the front of people's homes opened up with a few tables. The food is called "typical food" and is a rice and bean based cook with proteins and veg thrown in. Had an octopus one that was absolutely great from a soda right on the beach. I guess it depends where you are but the locals fry whole snapper on the beach and serve it with rice and beans (could be called rice and peas or peas and rice). We went to a few restaurants but I preferred the local fare.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I was there about 8 years ago. We stayed at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens for a few days before heading west to the Arenal Volcano area. Then we spent a few days at the rain forest before heading back, Depending where you are staying, I assume the Hyatt near the beach area, if you can take a day trip to La Paz it would be worth it. They have their own private waterfalls (7 waterfalls), a butterfly house, frog house, humming bird garden and restaurants. We saw groups being bussed in each day we were there.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Don't drink the agua

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    I have been a couple of times. I second Tabacon, spend a day in the thermal springs and a night at the hotel watching the volcano erupt. The rain forest close by has some great zip-lining. 

We stayed at the Best Western in Tamarino and had a great time fishing, even found a restaurant that would cook our fish for cheap. Los Suenos ( http://www.lsrm.com/ ) is close to Jaco and really nice but $$$$.

If you have an early flight out or get in late, I highly recommend Xandari resort ( http://xandari.com/ )
    close to the airport and very nice.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Manual Antonio is my place of choice or Look up house of flying monkey's ... fly from place to place trust me!  Only take the red taxi's in town as those are regulated by the state however make sure the driver turns on the meter once you are in or you will have to negotiate your fee once you arrive at your destination.  Other then great cigars hand delivered to you on the beach and the beautiful weather it is hard to want to go anywhere else!  

imageimage
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    oh yah an no matter what don't feed the monkeys the population is diminishing over the past 15 years because the tourist are feeding them and they are developing diabetes.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Buckegg
    Buckegg Posts: 13
    Options
    Fishing
    ATV tour
    Canopy Tour
    Hiking
    Rafting
  • NDG
    Options
    yzziLittleStevendstearnProserMcStew  I really appreciate all of the tips . . and McStew the pics are cool.  I have copy/pasted everything on a word doc so I can do some serious research/planning . . . thanks again!
    Columbus, OH

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have been, canopy tour (zip line), Horse back through the rain forest and the natural spa were the best. We went to the Arenal hot springs all three were on the same tour.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    We stayed at Arsenal one night. Ate in the restaurant and stayed in the scientific villas. I could  feel the resonant frequency from the time I got there till we left. It made me queasy. The whole volcano was covered with fog the whole time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Which Hyatt?  We spent a week in Papagayo/Guanacaste (NW corner) and had a great time.  Good fishing, diving, snorkeling, canopy tour, nature/boat tours, waverunner tour

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Oh yeah, and a whale - and a family that has some volcanic elements and a mudbath on their property that have some concrete-working skills - so they home-built a water slide.  imageimageimage

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    Options
    @foghorn . . Woah  :-t  
    We are staying at the "hyatt inspired"  ANDAZ PENINSULA PAPAGAYO RESORT
    Columbus, OH

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Best trip you'll probably ever take. And the last one where you exoerience freedom. :D We went to Costa Rica for a little over a week a few years back, right before we had kids. Skip San Jose, the capital. It's pretty dirty. We only spent one night there, and I wish we hadn't. Unless you're into underage prostitutes. If so, then you're in luck. They're everywhere. La Paz waterfall gardens is awesome. Great way to spend an afternoon. Volcan Arenal was amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't try to find the nicest hotel in Arenal. We stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge and it is the closest to the base and has an amazing view at night. Arenal us one of the most beautiful, amazing things I've ever seen. We didn't have time for the cloud forest, but that would definitely be on my left if we ever go back. I've heard it's awesome. From there, we traveled to Tamarindo, an old beach and surfing village. Great place, especially if you like deep sea fishing. We had a great trip with a really cool captain....American guy from Florida who "retired" to charter trips down there. While there, we stayed at Cala Luna. Really nice little place. It's more of a small, boutique resort, but has an onsite restaurant that was really good, and an open air sushi bar that was great. I hope this helps. It is a great country to visit. Congratulations on the baby!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • McStew
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Best trip you'll probably ever take. And the last one where you exoerience freedom. :D We went to Costa Rica for a little over a week a few years back, right before we had kids. Skip San Jose, the capital. It's pretty dirty. We only spent one night there, and I wish we hadn't. Unless you're into underage prostitutes. If so, then you're in luck. They're everywhere. La Paz waterfall gardens is awesome. Great way to spend an afternoon. Volcan Arenal was amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't try to find the nicest hotel in Arenal. We stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge and it is the closest to the base and has an amazing view at night. Arenal us one of the most beautiful, amazing things I've ever seen. We didn't have time for the cloud forest, but that would definitely be on my left if we ever go back. I've heard it's awesome. From there, we traveled to Tamarindo, an old beach and surfing village. Great place, especially if you like deep sea fishing. We had a great trip with a really cool captain....American guy from Florida who "retired" to charter trips down there. While there, we stayed at Cala Luna. Really nice little place. It's more of a small, boutique resort, but has an onsite restaurant that was really good, and an open air sushi bar that was great. I hope this helps. It is a great country to visit. Congratulations on the baby!
    I couldn't agree more on skipping San Jose ......also if you have any plans on going white water rafting it is a blast! You will have a blast, now you got me itching to go back.  I have been everywhere in central America and by far Costa Rica is the best place you will go unless you want to party you ass off go to Columbia!
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I forgot to mention the river boat tour. I captured the image of the crocodile from the boat. The Red Eyed tree frog was taken at La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
  • Givengold3
    Options
    When in de Arenal, take a night
    tour. The small groups and the wildlife that you see are memorable. We also took one in Monte Verde.
    Go to Manual Antonio. You won't believe the monkeys and iguanas. In LaFortuna, Rainforest Cafe (not the chain) is small and great for breakfast. There is a really friendly place for dinner a couple of doors down. The rafting is more daring than the US. Very fun. If driving between Arenal and Manual Antonio, you will cross the crocodile bridge. You'll know it when you see it.
    Zip lining in San Ramon, on your way to and from Arenal has the worlds longest line. Also doesn't require rappelling which some do.
    Last is the Refugio Asis. You can take a tour and the choose to stay and volunteer. You prepare the food for the animals and then each member of your group feeds different animals from birds to monkeys to javelins. Pretty much everyone from our group stayed for this part. Intimate and enlightening.
    Concord, CA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    That
    NDG said:
    @foghorn . . Woah  :-t  
    We are staying at the "hyatt inspired"  ANDAZ PENINSULA PAPAGAYO RESORT

That's a great area.  We stayed just across the bay.  We did day trips to Palo Verde, and Rincon de la Vieja among other things.  We (meaning SWMBO) are not really "sit and enjoy the beach" types for more than a day or so.  Depending on the level of security on the beach, you may be approached by locals fronting for "tour operators".  We did a couple of trips with them - including a fishing trip - and had a good time.  Through your hotel you will probably also be able to book excursions for about twice the price, but they will be nicer excursions (nicer boat, nicer van, whatever) and the people who take you will speak excellent English.  My wife and I speak some Spanish so the cheaper trips worked out well for us and were part of the adventure.  If there are some rocks on/near the hotel beach, make sure you go snorkeling there.  We've never seen so many pufferfish as we did there.  You can explore the bay by kayak and you'll probably be able to rent waverunners which is fun.  We also did a guided waverunner tour of the bay and some areas of the coast just outside it. 

Have a great time.  It is a great country to visit.  We are toying with the idea of going back this summer. 

San Antonio, TX

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My wife and I stayed at a B&B on a horse ranch and rode everyday.  I highly recommend this place even if all you're interested in is a one or two hour ride.  They are in Guanacaste, not to far from Tamarindo.  If you're interested in  horseback riding and are in the area, definitely give them a call.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Good coffee.  If you'er into home roasting, bring back a bunch of green beans.
  • GoinOnce
    Options
    I have been several times on vacation and on business. I flew into San Jose and drove the Arenal area (La Fortuena). When you rent your car, get the insurance and make sure you rent one of their GPS units. 95% of the roads are not marked. I wouldn't rely on a smartphone for GPS. We stayed at the Springs Resort which was really nice. Did the zip line deal but I can't remember the name of the company but I can tell you that you take a tram to the top of the mountain and it is a blast. We repelled down waterfalls, watched the volcano and ate mostly at sodas except for seafood and etc. Drove to Tamarindo and stayed several days in a new beachfront condo. Not a high rise and we were ground floor. Great night life, took surfing lessons at Witches Rock, good food, got a local fishing to take us on a 3 hr trip up a small tributary for only $50. Note on beer. You can buy American brands but they are expensive. Imperial is the CR brand and not bad. It is $1 a beer....whether you buy 1, a six or a case. No need to ice down beer and lug a cooler to the beach (in Tamarindo) because guys walk up and down the beach pulling coolers full of beer that are iced down and cold and will serve you right on the beach for $1.50 each. Depending on what you are into, there are some nice resorts that make you feel like you are in the US. I choose to stay in nice places but not on a compound and I like to rent a car, see the sights, meet people and get a taste of the local culture. Either way, you will have a blast.
    Gadsden, Alabama XLBGE - fast talker - slow cooker - blonde lab - brunette wife
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Reading this I'm getting eggcited. I am leaving for Costa Rica the beginning of March for 8 days. It is also my first time there. We are going to Papagayo and have booked 4 days worth of fishing.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Tinyfish, the Pacific in that area is incredibly rich with sealife/baitfish. I saw a school of dolphins actually change how they surface and breathe because the feeding was so good.  They were heading parallel to the coast - maybe 600 yards offshore - when they came on a school and just started diving vigorously, staying down longer and surfacing for very abbreviated breaths.  We also saw a huge school of tuna feeding as well, but unfortunately didn't hook one.  We did catch some jacks and a roosterfish. 

San Antonio, TX

• matt121966
    Options
    good thread, my wife is researching Costa Rica now for a summer family vacation. There goes probably $12,000
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks to all for the the new posts . . @goingonce appreciate the detail - awesome stuff!
    Columbus, OH

• thegooddocta
    Options
    My favorite pictures from a Costa Rican soda... Poor Gordon...

Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI