Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best CCW - OT

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Here is my carry weapon. Nothing fancy, just a stub nose Smith. imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Kahr CM9 here and love it, the trigger is like butter!
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • SGH
    Bbquru said:
    Wow @SGH I shouldn't be surprised given your ridiculous grill collection, 
    Brother you should see my gun collection. You really would not believe it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Ya'll may laugh at me, but I love the S&W M&P 22. It's lite, less expensive, easy to shoot, ammo is cheap, I can shoot it on the back of the property without alarming the neighbors, and I can teach my 10 year old to shoot without him fearing the recoil or noise. For CCW I love .22's. But my S&W 357 revolver w a six inch barrel is my home protection. That is after I run out of shotgun shells.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • 9mm Shield here. Handled quite a few guns before purchasing. Shield fit my hand better than any others. If you decide on pocket carry, get a .38 snubby with bobbed hammer.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    @SGH, just like you to get the NFA stuff going. Love me some stamps.  I will throw my votes in for the Glock 26 with mag extension for pinky and Smith MP360 in 357 as an ankle gun. But do try to test them out. I like not having a safety but don't love the Glock trigger. Sig makes a phenomenal gun and while it is more expensive you get what you pay for.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2015
    Got them both at the same time... About 20 years ago. The 915 is up top and is a 9mm 15+1, the 3913NL is the little one and is a 9mm 8+1... Hogue Grips and upgraded the sights, had the feed ramps and triggers worked as well when I got them. Carry the little one often, the bigger one occasionally. Very comfortable, reliable, and easy to maintain. image
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I carry a .380 Keltec with a front pocket holster.  Nothing fancy, but small, compact, and fires when pulled.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    WC1 said:
    @SGH, just like you to get the NFA stuff going.
    I have always been a huge fan and collector of the class III devices.

Status- Standing by.

• weekender
    weekender Posts: 61
    edited January 2015

Again thank you to all who responded and it shows that many do carry.  Very nice guns BTW. 

What I have decided to do as I researched this more and more is to use my .38 special right now and then soon take some training from a local group which can teach me more about CCW.  They will train on the legal aspect of CCW, awareness of predatory techniques, gun selection, holster selection, and of course range drills plus alot more.  This way I can try different guns along with holster styles so I can chose my best EDC CCW.   By taking the class I will also be much more aware of the law and my situation so I can hopefully avoid trouble before it may even begin.  

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited January 2015
    Doesn't hurt to do all those things above as you noted.  All this really depends on the person really.  I personally do not want to be weighed down, so weight and compact were high on pritority.  

I bought a M&P 40c to carry too, but personally could never carry it.  It is too heavy to carry.  

The Keltec is great.  Many others have copied their compact design.  Had mine for almost 10 years now.  

This is a picture of the Keltec.  This isn't my picture, just from Google.  

With the Desantis Nemisis holster...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have carried a little 22 Magnum in my pocket for years. People laugh because it is so tiny, but it is still a 22 Magnum!image

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2015
    SGH said:
    WC1 said:
    @SGH, just like you to get the NFA stuff going.
    I have always been a huge fan and collector of the class III devices.

You mean "Title II devices".  :)

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.  Class III a dealer's annual special occupational tax paid to transfer Title II (NFA) stuff.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    weekender said:

Again thank you to all who responded and it shows that many do carry.  Very nice guns BTW. 

What I have decided to do as I researched this more and more is to use my .38 special right now and then soon take some training from a local group which can teach me more about CCW.  They will train on the legal aspect of CCW, awareness of predatory techniques, gun selection, holster selection, and of course range drills plus alot more.  This way I can try different guns along with holster styles so I can chose my best EDC CCW.   By taking the class I will also be much more aware of the law and my situation so I can hopefully avoid trouble before it may even begin.  

Good, do your research and be informed. I attended a siminar this past Sunday with Massad Ayoob and if you ever get the opportunity to do so jump on it. He is the authority on personal defense and a personable guy.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Keltec 3AT. If I want bigger then sig 229
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Another vote for the shield.  Mine is 40 cal.  Ive carried a Kahr k40 and a Glock 27.  So far the shield is the best all around for quality, reliability, comfort, and concealability.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    weekender said:

I owned a gun shop for 25 years. You just gave yourself the best advice Ive seen. If your not familiar with an automatic it'll get ya killed. A wheel gun is a no nonsense.no brainer squeeze the trigger personal protection weapon. Been away from it for.many years but the principle remains. Personally id.never get a cwp. Big brother just draws.another bullseye on ya. I frankly don't much care if carrying a concealed weapon is permissible. I do and will regardless.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Just my two cents, a carry gun SHOULD be laser equiped.  If a red dot on a perps chest ends the confrontation a lot of paperwork can be avoided. I hate paperwork!
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • henapple
    Respectfully, I disagree. In a confrontation I'm not worried about their feelings, instilling fear or their perceptions. Split second decisions will be made and either the shooter or perp will not notice or recognize a laser. By my research most shootings happen at close range and actual sight aiming won't happen. I have a Ruger .380 with a Crimson Trace. ..cool to play with but I hardly see using it other than punching paper. Again, jmho.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Just my two cents, a carry gun SHOULD be laser equiped.  If a red dot on a perps chest ends the confrontation a lot of paperwork can be avoided. I hate paperwork!

You may be putting a red dot on them, but you're also showing where it came from. Maybe an infrared one on a SBR/CQB if you're using NVG's, but otherwise, no thanks.

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Ive always been of the mindset that if I have to pull my pistol, its going to get shot.  Using it for intimidation will get you killed.  If youre pulling your pistol in a situation other than a life-threatening one, you are in the wrong.  I have a laser on my glock, but have trained myself to only use it for reference.  If you rely solely on the laser and it malfunctions, youre screwed. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Like others have mentioned, the Glock 26 or other Glock sub models is a great carry pistol.  I just picked up a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9MM that I really like too.  It's possible to carry, but they make a PX4 Storm Subcompact too that would be better for carry in my opinion. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    CCW? I had to look that one up. Seriously? $450 for a gun?!!! And that's cheap?! Sure am glad I have no need or desire for such a thing. Honestly, what do you guys DO with these things? I am far from a youngster and I have never owned or wanted to own a gun. Not trying to start an argument. I truly have never understood why anyone would want a gun. Except for hunting I guess.

Tons of reasons from hunting (my biggest reason and most vast array and what you mentioned) to target/skeet/trap shooting, recreation, family heirlooms, collecting, and yes, even personal protection, whether carry, vehicle or homebound. 

Like others, I was raised around them and have owned them pretty much all my life and never have considered not owning one....or many actually.  However I totally get it if someone doesn't want to own one and respect that to the highest order.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    FWIW I agree with the range, you need to handle, fire, and get familiar with several ones and you will find one that you shoot well and feels good. Lots of great guns listed above but try them out some factors will be your holster and body type. Comptac makes a terrific IWB http://www.comp-tac.com Whatever you choose make sure YOU are comfortable and proficient with it, good luck and have fun.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    AUCE said:

I owned a gun shop for 25 years. You just gave yourself the best advice Ive seen. If your not familiar with an automatic it'll get ya killed. A wheel gun is a no nonsense.no brainer squeeze the trigger personal protection weapon. Been away from it for.many years but the principle remains. Personally id.never get a cwp. Big brother just draws.another bullseye on ya. I frankly don't much care if carrying a concealed weapon is permissible. I do and will regardless.
    I'm not sure just how wise it is to admit, on a public forum, that you routinely violate the law. Florida is a pretty gun friendly state but so I can't see the wisdom in your statement.
  • Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • henapple
    I've heavily considered the Hk 45. Research the difference in a 9 and 45. There's not much between a 9 and 40. Usage is usually close range, few shots. The military carried 45 forever but went to a 9mm. Maybe travis will chime in.