Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple wood question

Options
My mother had her apple tree pruned today and has a bunch of apple wood laying in her yard.  I wondered what I need to do in order to use that as smoking wood.  Does it need to dry out, be cured, is there anything special I need to do before I throw it in my lump to smoke up something?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some people here will say no, but personally I dry my "found wood trimmings". Whatever you do don't let that apple wood go to waste! Even 6 months out of the elements will be worth your effort. I then use a band saw to cut trimmings to lengths I like. Dryer wood means little if any gummed up blades!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Some people here will say no, but personally I dry my "found wood trimmings". Whatever you do don't let that apple wood go to waste!
    Terrific, thanks.  For how long would you dry it before using?  I have a planned bacon smoke for next weekend, is that not enough time in your opinion?
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @RRP is right. You should let the wood dry. Was the tree dead already when it was cut down? If you have a large amount of wood cut, split and stack like firewood to dry. Sun and wind dry out firewood. If you want to use some asap cut to your chunk size and leave out in the sun and wind to dry.
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    No reason to not use the wood right off the tree, as long as you let the smoke settle to nice light gray color and a sweet smell.
    Otherwise, don't over think this..For a lot of wood, my practice, with alder and apple, is to cut the branches into about 4" pieces, then split or quarter those, then give them a bit of time in a warm environment, in the sun or a warm room, (made a mistake.. just once... using the wife's oven) to let the "sweat" dry off. Otherwise, here in the northwest, I've seen a tendency for the wood to get a bit moldy over time...like in 4-6 months.
    One of those alder quarters is what I use when grilling a salmon filet for the wife and me. And a couple of the apple pieces, spread out on the fire, gets me thru a turbo rib cook.
    Go Hawks.
    scott
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Looks like I'll be cutting it up in chunk sized pieces, so maybe I'll throw them in my burlap bags and let them dry out in the garage for a week.  Sound reasonable?
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    Maybe, but look and feel is what counts, especially here in the NW...assuming you are around Seattle.. Throwing the wood in a bag is not going to promote some drying.
    But, if it was me, for the upcoming bacon, I would go ahead and cut a couple of pieces, put them on the fire, but then wait until they burn down and smell good. If it doesn't smell good, it won't taste good..
    scott
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Terrific, thanks.  For how long would you dry it before using?  I have a planned bacon smoke for next weekend, is that not enough time in your opinion?
    We all have our methods of doing things, but here is a general guide that works pretty dog gone good. For pieces 2" and less in diameter, 3 months is usually sufficent if stored in a dry environment with good air circulation. For pieces larger than 2" thru 4" in diameter, 4 months is usually sufficent if stored properly. Any thing over 4" in diameter usually requires 6 months give or take a little to take on the tell tell ring when hit together. Now please bare in mind that I live in Dixie where it's hot in the shade year round. This makes a huge differnce in seasoning time I'm sure.
    Here is my take on burning green or unseasoned wood. I have done it for years on a stick burner with good results. However it's much easier to F up if burning only green wood. Green wood if not prepped correctly will give off tons of white acrid smoke when added to the firebox.  White smoke is not your friend unless it's being produced due to the use of a massive water pan in very close proximity to the fire. Short of this, white smoke is not what you want to see. The end result will more often than not be bitter. However if you are mindful of your fire, you certainly can use green wood with good results. Just be cautious and mindful of your fire and all will go well. No matter what fuel you are using, proper fire management is the main concern. A clean burning fire will yield good results no matter if it's achieved with seasoned or unseasoned wood. It's just a little easier to achieve with seasoned wood. I also find that the milder woods (Apple, cherry, fig, etc) are a little more forgiving than hickory or oak when burning them unseasoned. Still fire management is the key to victory. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    All of this is great information.  Thanks a ton you guys!