Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who claims to have the best burger?

Options
I want to try a new burger recipe, even though folks love what I do:

Garlic Salt
Garlic Butter 
Pepper
Red Peppers
Slap Ya Momma
Heavy Hickory Smoke

What are your guest's favorites, cooked from an Egg of course?

Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

Comments

• tyrrionn
    Options
    A favorite in our house is ground chuck stuffed with smoked gouda and bacon bits. Grilled to medium with no extra smoke.  Very gouda.  :)
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    I have Gouda- I use that in my pizza. I will give that a whirl.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do brown sugar and onion burgers that always go over well. Usually throw some cow lick in for a little spice.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    80% beef
    Caramelized onions
    Swiss cheese
    Blend of 1T mayo + 1/2 tsp Dijon + chopped chives

Love this burger. Pretty sure I've never done it on a grill, egg or otherwise. You could of course. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Jucy Lucy is a favorite around here or anyone that comes and visits Minnesota
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

50/50 ground beef, ground bacon

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited January 2015
    Options

75/25 lean ground chuck. Stuffed with gorgonzola and Nueske's applewood smoked bacon. Sprinkled with salt and pepper. That mix of chuck is perfect 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174526/ok-ya-asked-for-it-yer-gonna-be-black-and-blue#latest for a very juicy burger,

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Well, my favorite is not likely to be your favorite, so what I think is the best may or may not be what you think is the best.

For me the best burger will have a light airy bun.  I don't eat a burger for the bread, so fancy bread that is a heavier dough is out.
    My favorite cheese for burgers is swiss.  Cheddar is OK, American is tolerable, Blue cheese just ruins the whole thing for me.
    I don't like raw onions or tomatoes so they are out.  Lettuce and dill pickles are good.
    I do like sauteed carmelized onions and sauteed mushrooms.
    My favorite "secret sauce" is thousand island, however, mayo, ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, & A1 steak sauce are all OK and one sauce on one bun and something on the other is OK.
    Oh, and I also like sweet relish along with dill pickles on my burgers.

For the meat, a grind of short ribs and bacon makes a killer meat patty.

And for a different twist, I can enjoy a teriyaki burger with teriyaki sauce and a slice of pineapple.

So while some restaurants can serve a pretty good burger and there are some fast food burgers I enjoy, the best burger for me is one I make to my own idiosyncratic desires.

I expect the same should be true for most of us Eggers.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good grassfed beef. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Hot cast iron pan on the egg
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cook raised direct 375* dome temp
    Ground ribeye, salt and pepper. Spoon a little melted garlic butter at finish.
    Toast buns. Top with grated medium cheddar.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    Great information here!  Thanks...Nothing like learning from others.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Not only do you need a burger recipe, but you need the technique mastered as well.  The right Egg temp, the right setup, the right handling of the burger, and so on.  Here are tips from Michael Symon.  I've had a burger from one of his B Spot restaurants, and they really are very good.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2014/05/michael-symons-burger-commandments.html

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Did some ground chuck burgers last week stuffed with pimento cheese and bacon.  Brushed with Bone Suckin Sauce 5 mins. out.  Oh man they were awesome!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Maybe it's disgrace but usually I do bubba burgers... After seeing this post and bookmarking it that's gonna change now. @Carolina Q‌ , how do you cook yours then?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Just give a grilled burger with catchup and a toasted bun. Simple

Give me a hotdog with mustard and relish. SImple

Can't beat simple
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    This thread could lead to a throwdown.

A BURGER THROWDOWN. B-)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    who has the best???  Why me, of course....

lattice bacon wrapped burger with simple S&P.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    For many years my green chile cheeseburger (a New Mexico specialty) was the best burger you or anyone could have:

But, using the "Umami Burger" recipe from this site, elevated it.  None better.  Sorry.  
    [-(

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Botch said:
    For many years my green chile cheeseburger (a New Mexico specialty) was the best burger you or anyone could have:

But, using the "Umami Burger" recipe from this site, elevated it.  None better.  Sorry.  
    [-(
    Sorry, but on so many levels, that burger just doesn't "do it" for me.  Would you mind if I chucked your bun, your chili pepper, & your cheese and let you know what I thought of the patty?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Sean Brock recommends grinding ground bacon in with the ground beef, then two thinner patties with two slices of cheese.  Here it is on video (a Breville ad though) plus it is in the Heritage cookbook which I also just acquired.

I got a grinder for Christmas, this is on my short list.  Maybe this weekend.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    +1 on that green chili burger, that looks AWESOME!

Heading to Denver tomorrow for a couple of days, might have to stop by Cherry Cricket...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Maybe it's disgrace but usually I do bubba burgers... After seeing this post and bookmarking it that's gonna change now. @Carolina Q‌ , how do you cook yours then?

I can't speak for Carolina, but I almost never bother with the egg just for burgers. Most of the time I usemy gas grill, occasionally the stove and oven.

What I do is set the two left burners on the gas grill to medium heat, that generally get the temp up to around 350. I put a cast iron skillet on the side burner and let it preheat for about 15 minutes while I form the patties (usually ground brisket, with salt, pepper, garlic powder and worcestshire sauce). Then I drop a couple tablespoons of ghee into the skillet, swirl it around and add the patties. They sear for about 6-7 minutes, then I shut off the side burner, flip the burgers, and put them into the grill on the right (indirect) side. They take about 10-12 minutes in the grill, and I pull at 145ish, (we like ours rare and I grind the meat myself - store bought ground beef I would take to 160).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i like burgers unground, take your favorite marinade and pour it on 3/4 inch sliced fillet mignon and marinate for a couple hours, grill hot and fast and put on a bun.
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    edited January 2015
    Options
    this one was stuffed with a buttery shrimp diane
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Wow... this could get more contentious than the Republican or Democrat thread. Why not just throw out an Ohio State vs Oregon discussion?

I like my burgers thick, medium, no smoke, but has to have cast iron grill marks, 400f on the dome. Shrooms and raw tomato, melted cheese of any kind.

Toasted bun, Heinz 57. Two at a time.

If you can eat it without bending over, you've done it wrong.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Wow... this could get more contentious than the Republican or Democrat thread. Why not just throw out an Ohio State vs Oregon discussion?

I like my burgers thick, medium, no smoke, but has to have cast iron grill marks, 400f on the dome. Shrooms and raw tomato, melted cheese of any kind.

Toasted bun, Heinz 57. Two at a time.

If you can eat it without bending over, you've done it wrong.

@Henapple likes it when guys named Diesel tell him to bend over, eh Hen?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    I like my burgers stuffed with pepper jack.  I use the grain fed ground beef from Costco.  It tastes great.  Then I form the patties and salt/pepper.  We like them but they aren't fancy.

My favorite burgers in the whole world are made by a restaurant here in Austin called Jack Allen's.  He has two amazing burgers one called the Fat Jack which is a spin on a BBQ bacon burger and the other one is a green chili cheese burger that is out of this world.  If you are in Austin or live here you gotta try them.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Botch said:

[-(
    In the summer, I make them like this when I can harvest fresh chilies, roast them on the egg, and then crank up the temp and put a simple burger patty on.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.