Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging 101

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
I'm thinking of buying an egg and have no idea where to start. Just my wife and I. What size egg? What accessories? I don't want to go broke!Help!!

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    condodog,
    Do you have a local dealer where you can go look at one? I have a large and it is just the right size.
    Do you entertain?[p]I shopped at a local dealer where I could see the different models but I ended up buying online. Much cheaper and easier, they dropped it off at the door.[p]There are no must have accessories but there are lots of nice to have ones. The first two accessories I would buy would be a platesetter and a thermometer. Lots of recipes call for indirect, which the platesetter gives you. Look on TNW's site for other indirect setups. [p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm[p]You will need some kind of digital, in the meat thermometer. The Polder brand is popular but I have a cheap version bought at Lowes and it works well.[p]If you want to buy online, I can recommend Hearthside Distributors. That is who I bought from and they were the cheapest at the time. The benefit of buying from the local dealer is they will set it up for you and adjust the top. But, that is not difficult. I put mine together in 25 minutes and was ready to cook. [p]Good luck with your decision. No matter which BGE you get, you will not regret it.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    condodog,[p]This thing will SAVE you money, in the long run. Pretty soon, your food will be so good that your family won't want to go out to dinner. Let's say you used to go out to dinner once a week, and you usually spent $40 for four people, which is probably on the low side. Instead, you will now Egg, which will probably cost about $20 per meal, at most, which is probably on the high side.[p]So if you save $20 per week, at 50 weeks a year, the Egg more than pays for itself in a year. And it lasts basically forever.[p]You think I am kidding, but I am not. Our restaurant expenses have dropped like a rock since we have been Eggers. Why go out and eat mediocre food when you can stay home and have the best food you ever ate? No joke.[p]Join the Club -- you will not be sorry!

• condodog,
    As a long time user of the Egg, I would recommend that anyone buying their first Egg get the large first. The size is just right for most cooks having friends over or just you and your wife as it is most of the time here.[p]Happy Egging and this forum will guide you all the way.[p]Chef Jerry

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    condodog,[p]Go for the large. You won't regret it. On buying one I strongly suggest buying from a local dealer whenever possible. I bought from my local dealer almost 7 years ago and I've never regreted it. If anything goes wrong I land on his door step. Frie box broke (no big deal) and when I told him he handed me one from stock. I get a nice little discount on my charcoal (which he always has in stock - several kinds too). Not sure just how much some of these guys save buying on line and the potential for trouble that comes with it. My dealer even delivered it for me. I want those guys in business so I'm not inconvienced when I want something. BUY LOCAL!BUY LARGE!
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    Corndog,
    I don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but you might be able to get a really good deal at an eggfest. They sell the setup with a stand, some eggcessories, charcoal and at a price you can't beat. If you have an eggfest coming up in your area, it might be a good option.

I am new to the world of the Big Green Egg, new to charcoal cooking as well, I used to be one of those guys that swore by gas grills, but I have really enjoyed the egg. I do think it requires a little more time and planning than a gas grill, but it is worth it. You will not believe how little charcoal you use and how easy it is to get really good results even on your first attempt. I have only used mine a few times (we have a burn ban, very little rain since 10/05) but have had great results my family really enjoys. This forum is a great resource, you can really find anything you need to know here.

Mine is a large and I find it to be a great size. The only reason I would buy a smaller egg would be for tailgating or to add to my large. Get a plate setter and a thermometer (look through the posts to pick one) and you will be in good shape. Also, make sure you use good lump charcoal, like BGE or Wicked Good, check out the Naked Whiz's site.

Enjoy!
  • condodog,
    I'll be the odd man out and say a medium will work just fine for two to six people or even more. On my medium goes up to four full slabs of ribs (using a rib rack, ribs are on edge); 8-10 lbs. of boston butt no problem, 12 lb. turkey no problem, two whole "beer butt" chickens no problem. Unless you have a table to install the egg in go with the egg nest (which has wheels), a plate setter for low and slows, ash removal tool, and maybe a V-rack to hold various chunks of meat. Eventually you may want to investigate a BBQ Guru (check for posts on this forum) for overnight butt smokes. I went for a year without and then got one and have never regretted it. I also bought an electric fire starter and use it most of the time, but it's not necessary.