Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Issues with new BGE XL

I received a new XLBGE for Christmas. My wife paid for delivery and installation. Well the installation sucked because of the fact when trying to align the top and bottom, it was left with an underbite. So I went back to the dealer and was told that there is nothing he can do. I was contacted by the local BGE rep and told me how to correct the issue and if I couldnt, he would be down on Long Island in a couple of weeks and would help. Well, this Sunday the ash grate split in half.....WTF...., so today I cleaned out the lump and ash and I noticed a crack on the fire ring. Not the one it comes with either. I have done less than 10 cooks on this and I am pretty upset at the moment. Would a Primo have been a better choice??
1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    how did the grate get broken?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I would bet that your ash grate was installed upside down (bevel up). Different co-efficient of expansion between iron and ceramic...iron forces crack in firebox. That is common with all the eggs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I would bet that your ash grate was installed upside down (bevel up). Different co-efficient of expansion between iron and ceramic...iron forces crack in firebox. That is common with all the eggs.
    On my first egg mine was also installed upside down. Hopefully you will get all of this sorted out soon @MadcapMagician

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Big deal. .they'll be replaced free of charge.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Wait a minute.........it matters which side is up in regards to the metal lump grate?!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I know it is under warranty, but...I have to pay shipping on everything. To me that seems a little unfair
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Your dealer needs to step up.  If your wife paid for the setup install, they should come back and adjust the bands to make the lid fit right.  As far as the grate and firebox, your dealer should swap you out new ones considering the situation of this being a gift from your wife.  At least order new ones ASAP.  If you don't get satisfaction from your dealer, call BGE directly.

Living Large and XL

• Little Steven
    You shouldn't have to pay. If it was the dealer that installed the grate inverted they should replace it right away. You don't need a new firebox to continue cooking with it but that should be included in a dealer order. That is if the grate was in fact installed inverted.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited January 2015
    I completely see why you are frustrated! Contact the rep again. Give him a chance to make it right. Maybe he will deliver the parts?

From my unserstandably limited view I think your dealer or rep should deal with shipping. Especially since you paid for delivery and setup.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I had two domes replaced. The first for minor dings inside the ceramic and the 2nd for glaze that was chipping. In both cases I called BGE service and they took care of it without getting the dealer involved. Call BGE Service and report the dealer. You should not have to pay for shipping.
  • Little Steven
    YEMTrey said:
    Wait a minute.........it matters which side is up in regards to the metal lump grate?!
    Yes, bevel down.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• High heat can cause all these conditions, bands will adjust themselves after high heat as well. There is after purchase maintenance that needs to be performed by owner on all Eggs.

Learning to control temps is the first hurdle most new owners have to deal with, not only can you ruin a lot of meat your equipment can take a beating in the process.

It's all under warranty.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    It IS a big deal.  When someone purchases a product and pays to have it delivered and assembled then it should be done correctly.  It should also last more than 30 days without breakage.  She made the correct choice buying you a BGE and BGE should take care of you.....if not, I would be quite surprised.  Good luck and keep us updated.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    YEMTrey said:
    Yes, bevel down.
    Wow.  I had never heard that.  Learn something new everyday.  Thanks for the info!!!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    btw, awesome wife getting you an XL BGE. She deserves a big hug and thank you!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • High heat can cause all these conditions, bands will adjust themselves after high heat as well. There is after purchase maintenance that needs to be performed by owner on all Eggs.

Learning to control temps is the first hurdle most new owners have to deal with, not only can you ruin a lot of meat your equipment can take a beating in the process.

It's all under warranty.

Smitty,I'm have less than ten cooks and only one high heat event. The first three cooks were under 500 degrees
  • I'd be back on the phone with the rep or directly with bge. Dealer oughta be taking care of you.

Little Rock, AR

• Oh, I am truly blessed to have her.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sorry to hear about the trouble.  I agree with others that you shouldn't have to pay shipping.  If you can't get satisfaction from your dealer I would contact big green egg directly.  Note you don't have to handle the warranty claim with the dealer where you purchased your egg.  Any BGE dealer can handle the claim.  

You may have to wait a little while for the parts to come in if you don't pay for freight.  I think many dealers will just order it and it will come with the next shipment so there is no incremental cost. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I received a new XLBGE for Christmas. My wife paid for delivery and installation. Well the installation sucked because of the fact when trying to align the top and bottom, it was left with an underbite. So I went back to the dealer and was told that there is nothing he can do. I was contacted by the local BGE rep and told me how to correct the issue and if I couldnt, he would be down on Long Island in a couple of weeks and would help. Well, this Sunday the ash grate split in half.....WTF...., so today I cleaned out the lump and ash and I noticed a crack on the fire ring. Not the one it comes with either. I have done less than 10 cooks on this and I am pretty upset at the moment. Would a Primo have been a better choice??
    Call BGE headquaters and speak with them. They were very pleasant when I called. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Talked to Bruce at BGE and the new ring and grate are on their way. It appears that the have been having issues with the ash grate cracking, I'm my case when it cracked, it cracked the fire ring.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Awesome.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BYS1981
    @MadcapMagician‌ I think it's you pay the shipping to your house, or a distributor will put it on a pallet to a local store for free. I have done it the later 3 times.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    BYS1981 said:
    Actually, it is a big deal. If once out of every ten cooks resulted in something broken, that would be a very big deal. Warranty or not, can't use something that is broken.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    If u paid over a grand 4 something it shouldn't break in less than a year. Totally Unacceptable. Hopefully everything works out.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    edited January 2015
    wow, i just checked my new XL and found the fire grate installed upside down too, i can totally see how this would happen as it has about a 1/4" play installed the right way and was snug and stuck in mine when installed upside down.  Luckily i've only done a couple of low heat smokes so far, so nothing was cracked yet, but I can see how it would happen.  There should really be a "this side up" on that part.  

Btw, mine was dealer assembled too and put in this way!

Hope everything works out with getting yours fixed.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @MadcapMagician‌, what about the dome alignment?
    I understand that parts break and need to be replaced under warranty, which BGE seems to be great at doing. However, if I paid for something to be assembled and it was apparent the item was not right, there would be no telling me what I need to do to fix it. I would flip out on them £!+c#'s and demand that they come and fix it. I'd be like...£!+c#, come this fix this $#!+. Not only do they need to fix the alignment, they need to give you an accessory, discount coupon for next purchase, a gift certificate to the local butcher, or something to keep your business. If you were a BGE collector like @badinfluence‌, they'd lose a lot of future business for the crappy treatment. People think they can treat you like that Comcast video and get away with taking your money for nothing. Sickening.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BYS1981
    ads75 said:

BYS1981 said:

Actually, it is a big deal. If once out of every ten cooks resulted in something broken, that would be a very big deal. Warranty or not, can't use something that is broken.

But everyone knows that isn't the frequency, and the reason of why it broke has verb discovered. ... so... big deal.

Not to mention you can still cook with cracked stuff, so c'mon down from that high horse bud.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Glad to hear they are taking care of you.  FWIW I think folks have used a weber charcoal grate to replace the stock grate:

If it will take a while to get your replacement parts for $11 you could use that grate on the cracked fire box.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Although I like SmokeyPitt's suggestion, you could shoestring the grate together with some bailing wire to get by.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max