Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide searing

Options

Good day folks,

All of these threads about sv had me wondering how many of you actually used the egg to pre-sear or final sear when cooking sous vide? With the weather being very cold here lately (Ottawa, CA) and the time to get the egg up to 600 degree (about 10 min.) for about a 2-3 min sear, I haven't got the motivation to do it.

I've been just doing it on a hot pan and blowtorch. It is worth the extra time to get that charcoal flavour?

Cheers on a very cold day!! (-32 C)

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    At -32C, I don't have the motivation to get out of bed.

IMO, the Egg sear is slightly better than a pan sear, but not enough in nasty weather.

One thing I did find quite good as an SV - Egg method was to SV lightly rubbed pieces of pork butt, and then do 20 - 30 min on the Egg for final smoke flavor. Doing it in reverse concentrated the smoke flavor in the SV bag too much for me.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I cold smoked a brisket for about 2 hours before SV and the smoke flavor was just right.
    Duncan, SC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tixunau said:

Good day folks,

All of these threads about sv had me wondering how many of you actually used the egg to pre-sear or final sear when cooking sous vide? With the weather being very cold here lately (Ottawa, CA) and the time to get the egg up to 600 degree (about 10 min.) for about a 2-3 min sear, I haven't got the motivation to do it.

I've been just doing it on a hot pan and blowtorch. It is worth the extra time to get that charcoal flavour?

Cheers on a very cold day!! (-32 C)

It's only -24 here in the banana belt. You need a while on the egg to get any appreciable smoke flavour. If you are doing a steak or a chop it doesn't make a lot of difference but for roasts ore bone in cuts you can do a longer finish cook at a lower temp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    To be honest even when the weather is nice I just don't find it worth the trouble to fire up the egg simply to sear.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I usually do appetizers first anyway, so opening the vents for the sear is no big deal.  I've found that a 700 degree sear on cast iron is much better than a pan on the stove.  

We haven't had a ton of snow in Madison, WI yet so walking out onto the deck at -10 hasn't been all that intimidating.  If I have to scoop a foot or two of snow to get to the eggs, I may think about it a little longer.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    To be honest even when the weather is nice I just don't find it worth the trouble to fire up the egg simply to sear.  
    +1
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think I fired up the egg a couple of times to sear after SV, but didn't think it was worth it. I mostly pan sear in CI now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Too much hassle to get the Egg up and running for the post-sear .. I now use the Weber Gasser and a Cast Iron Pan or use the Bernzomatic TS8000 and my Searzall attachment.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Jaredbe
    Options
    I had this very question with the Minnesota cold last weekend.    I am glad I did it with my pork loin roast. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @fljoemon - how do you like the searzall? Is it that much better than a torch?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options

@jaredbe. Wow nice cook!! Looks like you nailed it completely!

@caliking asked before me but yes; @fljoemon, how you do you like the searzall? My friend has one and loved it. He keeps on triggering the smoke detector from his condo everytime he uses it tho but said that it is an amazing tool. I asked him to bring it with him next time he is in town so I can try it before buying one.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    What kind of steak?

I usually sear on the egg directly on the coals caveman style. About 1 minute per side. It does not impact the gradient at all.

I am in Ottawa too.

Options
    @caliking & @Tixunau,

I just got the searzall last week and have only done 4 sirloin steaks with it. Turned out fantastic .. much better than using the blow torch by itself as the searzall has flame diffusion with its stacked diffussion screen and sears really well. The best thing about the searzall .. the WoW factor! you should have seen the looks on my kids face ... I felt pretty cool using it and bonus it worked great too.... perfect sear on the top and did not mess up the insides of the steak and no gas aftertaste on the food either.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A couple of my buddies got the searzall and they like it but it takes awhile if you are searing very much surface area. I had just finished ribs when one of them brought it over so we sauced them with a thin sauce and it took a couple minutes to do one side of a rack of ribs.
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options
    That is the only negative thing I keep reading about. Awesome tool but takes a little more time than anticipated to sear big surface cooks. But beside it, most of the folks that have it are really happy with it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Anyone here with a BLACKSTONE oven tried using it for a post SV sear?  I am looking at you @DMW !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    NDG said:
    Anyone here with a BLACKSTONE oven tried using it for a post SV sear?  I am looking at you @DMW !!
    I have not, but great idea.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker