Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel for Large Egg

Options
What size are you fellows using in the large eggs? Looking at getting some Baking Steel, to use for some pizzas but also to use as a griddle, for burgers, even steaks and stuff of that nature on the large.
Can't figure out what size might be best.
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I have the 16 inch from bakingsteel.com. Love it!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking 16, but wasn't sure what was too big or small. Will be ordering one so I can make some pizzas and ditch my stone, and so I can use it as a griddle!!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I bought a piece of 1/4" plate from a local steel supplier, about 14 X 16", cost about $15 ($1.00 per lb).  Not as pretty as the baking steel (which my son has), but works just as well.  It does make a great griddle.image
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I have the 16, I think it's a little too big. I think the 14 would allow more heat to go up to the dome.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌ that what I was wanting to know.. If the 16 would end up being a bit too big to allow much heat to rise around the plate... Much like in the minimax where the platsetter is a bit large and doesn't allow a ton of great airflow around it, IMO.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I have the 16 inch. @Cookinbob‌ pretty the first few times until it's well seasoned, mine now looks just like yours. Quite frankly, that's the pretty look when it's nice and black. I rarely use for pizzas, but it's well used as a griddle and steak searer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Martello_Penne
    Options
    I actually went down to the shop where they are made and spoke to Andris for a bit. Really great guy and very passionate about his Pizza's. He's well aware of people using them on the egg and he was very willing to cut me a round steel, that allowed for plenty of airflow. I'd just reach out explaining how and where you want to use it and they'll customize the steel to meet your needs. 
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    BGE sells a 14" pizza stone for the large. I always figured they knew what they were doing in that regard so that would be the optimal size for that size egg.

Also keep in mind that if you raise the stone/steel higher in the dome, that's going to reduce airflow around it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @FATC1TY Get the smaller...most of my pizzas are only about 12".

Honestly though, and I am sure @Carolina Q will agree, pizza is easier in the oven.  Much easier. I only use the BakingSteel for searing steaks on the egg.  If I had to do it again, I think I would have saved the money and bought something else...like a KickAshBasket...seriously.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

@FATC1TY Get the smaller...most of my pizzas are only about 12".

Honestly though, and I am sure @Carolina Q will agree, pizza is easier in the oven.  Much easier. I only use the BakingSteel for searing steaks on the egg.  If I had to do it again, I think I would have saved the money and bought something else...like a KickAshBasket...seriously.
    Of course I agree. Been two years since I last egged a pizza.

As for a steel, buy a piece of steel from a scrap metal dealer. Or a steel yard that sells cut offs. About $1 a pound. I think mine cost about $12.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut