Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I really need a Polder to smoke a boston butt?

truhokie
truhokie Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have one that I was planning on smoking overnight on my new Egg. Typically with a Weber, I just could tell when it was done. However, most techniques I have seen here recommend a Polder. Thoughts?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    truhokie,
    You know how to cook a butt, and how to tell when it's done... Do you need a polder? Probably not. The techniques and recipes you see here were (mostly) written to encompass everyone from the least experience newbie to the old pro.[p]What's the advantage of using a polder? It will let you know when the butt is at temperature, without having to open the dome and so lower the heat.[p]HTH
    Ken

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    truhokie,[p]I agree with Ken. I don't even stick my probe in a butt or brisket until 6 or 8 hours into the cook. I do however monitor grate temperature.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • truhokie,
    It is very convienent to have one, but you don't have to have it to finish a butt. Personally, I would get one as soon as you can.[p]Chef Jerry

• BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks. This is my first smoke on Egg. Guess I just don't know what to expect. Going to try to keep it 250 for about 14 hours or more before bumping up the heat to finish. That seems to be about the norm.[p]I might also try some wine barrell chips/stave to change up the flavor a bit.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    truhokie,
    Unless you are pressed for time I see no reason to bump the temp up after 14 hours...let it run it`s course, the longer in the plateau ( anywhere from 150°- 175°) the better...but again, if you are pressed for time, as in guests arriving, go ahead and crank it up to around 300° to finish it off. The results will be very close to a 250° cook, maybe a little drier, but good just the same...HTH[p]Wess

• Be sure to let us know how it all turns out. I smoked two at once that went for about 12 hours and I still had to bump up the heat to finish. If I were you, I would figure it will take a lot longer than you think, and if you finish early, you can always wrap it up and put it in a cooler. My butts were very tasty and tender, but not the fall apart story I am looking for. Next time (when the burn ban is lifted) I will let it go overnight and just let it go at 250 until one of us gives in.