Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another reason the get a Rutand gasket! Cold weather Eggers check this out!

jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I live in CT and have been egging year round for about 3 years. Each year when the temps are in the 20's my XL and more recently my Medium would freeze shut. It would be a hassle to break it loose or I would just wait until temps would rise. Well this summer I bought Rutland gaskets from @RRP. I only got the XL done. So far this winter the Medium has frozen shut a half dozen times and the XL has yet to freeze closed at all. It I also remains uncovered. This could be a major plus for switching to the Rutland alone. It's great to know it's ready for action regardless of the weather. I would like to ask other Eggers in cold climates to let me know if you have a Rutland and your egg still freezes? Thanks in advance!
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks for sharing that info.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine has never frozen and this is my 6th CT winter with two eggs stored out in the open. Had a rutland almost since the beginning since my original gasket lasted a whopping 2-3 months.

I posted this theory quite some time ago and still think it's true.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I really should pick one up from RRP.  I have never had it freeze shut, and a great deal of time here is winter, but I have melted the gasket together after I took it nuclear to clean it.  I have never gone that hot since, but boy was it a nice white after that.  I managed to get the lid open without to much damage to the gaskets though
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for the tip of the hat! BTW your point is an interesting observation that I have never heard nor thought about. It stands to reason that Rutland will not absorb water, therefore no freezing, but I suppose if wet enough and cold enough freezing might still happen, but for sure would not be as bad or as water soaked as the other gaskets.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Thankfully it doesn't get that cold here! I will however need a Rutland soon. My gasket on my original egg is almost shot. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I'm as big a fan as anyone of the Rutland gasket, and I've referred lots of folks to @RRP to put one on their eggs the way I did on my XL, but I will say I've had her freeze shut a number of times since relocating back to Wisconsin this year.

In this case I think a nice cordless hair dryer is your best friend!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The Rutland kicks ass. Best accessory that I have bought for my eggs. I even run the Rutland on Unit #1. Thinking about putting it on the other big units as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I believe the reason it doesn't freeze shut is not because of the rutland gasket material but because it is only on the bottom piece of ceramic.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    @SGH as a new member I hear you refer to your cookers as units 1 to 9. Have you ever posted pictures of all your units at one time. I hope you will not take offence.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    @marysvilleegger, that might help, but I only have my Rutland on the bottom and I still get a frozen egg from time to time. you guys just don't get any real cold weather (haha).

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Tinyfish said:
    @SGH as a new member I hear you refer to your cookers as units 1 to 9. Have you ever posted pictures of all your units at one time. I hope you will not take offence.
    No offense taken at all my friend. I have posted Unit #1 several times. I even took it to the brisket camp back in August for eggheads to look at in person. I have posted Unit #6 quite a bit as well. I have posted Unit #4 a couple of times. The other units don't see much use any longer. They are old and have seen their better day except for Unit #7 & #9. I keep them for sentimental reasons more than any thing else. As far as taking a group photo of them, no I havent. However now that you suggested it I think that I will. It's actually a cool idea. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jhl192
    Mine has never frozen and this is my 6th CT winter with two eggs stored out in the open. Had a rutland almost since the beginning since my original gasket lasted a whopping 2-3 months. I posted this theory quite some time ago and still think it's true.

I must have missed your theory post but I can say that you are correct. Up till now I've had plenty of planned cooks delayed or cancelled due to a frozen lid but not since the Rutland. Thanks for the feedback. I did know you were a fan of the Rutland.
  • Carolina Q
    RRP said:

Thanks for the tip of the hat! BTW your point is an interesting observation that I have never heard nor thought about. It stands to reason that Rutland will not absorb water, therefore no freezing, but I suppose if wet enough and cold enough freezing might still happen, but for sure would not be as bad or as water soaked as the other gaskets.

How quickly we forget, eh Ron?
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1350202
    :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    How quickly we forget, eh Ron? http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1350202 :D

OK, Michael - you win. I forgot that post essentially from 1 year ago, but having supplied these Rutlands now since 2002 I still won't be adding a comment about "will never freeze"! LOL! Just the same thank you for your FIRST observation which I forgot!
  • jhl192
    edited January 2015
    @CarolinaQ , that explains it why I had not seen your post. I rarely spend any time on the Greeneggers forum. BTW, I am going to get a pick up load of WGWW from Holyoke as soon as the weather cooperates if you are interested in some.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited January 2015

RRP said:

How quickly we forget, eh Ron?
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1350202
    :D
    @CarolinaQ, I am new here so I don't know the history behind your dig (maybe it is good natured ribbing) but,

The post you quoted mentions the reason as the gasket is only on one side.

This thread talks about the reason being the material doesn't absorb water.

Maybe it is a combination of both?

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Both I suppose - but yes Michael and I go way back...
  • Carolina Q
    I enjoy jerking Ron's chain. He enjoys feeling put upon. :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    My XL froze shut last week.   Being that I plan on cooking on it tomorrow I started a fire behind the air vent.  Finally got the lid open and the gasket peeled off.  The funny thing is that this is the second winter with my Lg and it has never frozen shut.  This year with the first real cold weather and the XL freezes.  Rutland they will be.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • RRP
    jcaspary said:
    My XL froze shut last week.   Being that I plan on cooking on it tomorrow I started a fire behind the air vent.  Finally got the lid open and the gasket peeled off.  The funny thing is that this is the second winter with my Lg and it has never frozen shut.  This year with the first real cold weather and the XL freezes.  Rutland they will be.
    Good idea! Proper application to assure years of service is more important than you might think. Simply laying the Rutland down doesn't hack it! I've been doing this with my hints and instructions as a break even service for over 12 years now. 

Off to bed now - got a warranty covered hot water heater repair job early in the morning! No more cold showers for this family LOL!
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I have never had my frozen shut. It was -40 with the windchill today haha
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I moved to the Swamp in anticipation of this problem. No problems with eggs freezing shut over here :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I changed to a Rutland as soon as I bought my BGE. It has seen three Canadian winters and so far has never froze on me. On the plus side it has warmed up today to a balmy - 8 C ( 17.6 F) today.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    SGH said:
    The other units don't see much use any longer. They are old and have seen their better day
    SGH - just wondering, when you say this ^^, what do you mean?  I thought eggs were good to go indefinitely, as long as they aren't in pieces.  Thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    both my large and small freeze shut i switched over
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175824/frozen-not-the-movie#latest

They do freeze. Mine stuck a little the other night but I'm in Tennessee. ..not that bad here.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23

SGH said:

The other units don't see much use any longer. They are old and have seen their better day except for Unit #7 & #9. I keep them for sentimental reasons more than any thing else. 

Brother, does this include Unit 14?  If so, I guess Ron Jeremy and I may be the last of a dying breed.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Since I have been going commando it hasn't frozen shut either and I have not experienced temperature control issues.

Gerhard
  • I changed to a Rutland as soon as I bought my BGE. It has seen three Canadian winters and so far has never froze on me. On the plus side it has warmed up today to a balmy - 8 C ( 17.6 F) today.

Tomorrow we are going to see +1 in saskatoon. Its been a great winter so far
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797

They don't freeze in Florida either. Not sure why

St. Johns County, Florida