Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig opinions?

Options
The better half got me a $100 Ceramic Grill Store e-gift card for Christmas and I plan on getting an AR set-up, likely the R & B oval combo.  Thought I'd see if anyone had any strong feelings on oval vs round stone rig.  I like the idea of more indirect coverage and being able to easily slip in wood chunks with the oval.  And sliding grids seem nice with a big rib cook or what have you.  FWIT 100% of my cooks at this point are low and slow ribs and butts, first brisket venture is underway at this moment.  Happy New Year's Eve, meatheads
Minneapolis, MN

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have the AR with the R & B and the oval stone, I love it. I also added the grid extender which is great for cooking apps at the end of a low and slow, getting ready to do that now actually.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I got that set up for Xmas from SWMBO. Rig seems to sit too low for the slide Ti work with much in it...haven't used it yet but it could be my error. Well built though.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Looks like the rig extender is a must
    Minneapolis, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Since this is the end of the year, I would offer the following thread as an alternative (warning-pic heavy);  Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier on the Mini Max .
    And full disclosure-I have a two-tier swing rack from CGW (got it in Aug 2011) for the LBGE and it is a great rig.  Comes at the "improve the cooking volume of a BGE" issue in a different way but whatever works.  No compensation for any posts!  Happy New Year 
    :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    When I had a large, I had the R & B with oval stone.  I loved it.  If you go that route, get the foil ring.  That was one of my favorite add ons.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    R & B combo with extender for sure. Tons of options with this setup. Here are six racks of spares laying flat.image

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @ Brisket_Fanatic. Is that direct or indirect. If indirect where is the stone. How are the grids set up. The lowest grid is it on slot 1.5? Middle grid is it on top of the AR and is the grid from Tom. The top grid is on the rig extender with the oval grid.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Old thread, I know, but @Brisket_Fanatic where did you get that gasket?  I've seen several pics around here but can't find it online for purchase.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Also, update fwiw: just ordered the R & B oval combo, and I'm pumped.  Will get the extender at some point as well.  Thanks everyone for the feedback
    Minneapolis, MN
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If you have a large, @JRWhitee‌ hit the nail on the head! That what I have and love it. Sliding d grids so I can swap top to bottom and back again.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @CoalCreek‌ Its a Rutland! Contact @RRP‌ for info as he sells them to eggheads

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Can you get me a $100.00 dollar gift card too ?
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @jhl192‌ exactly and the raised grid is the bomb for raised direct spatchcocked chickens!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Be sure to watch the 2 videos of the CGS website that show the AR R&B Combo in Action. That's what closed the deal for me.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I got the AR combo for xmas and have used it a lot and love it...... but I am lost what an r&b combo is?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $100 nice 2-3 more hundo to go and you are set.

Go oval , extender and extra oval grid at the least.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @stompbox R+B combo is the rib and brisket Adjustable Rig. It has the oval stone and oval grid.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

@stompbox R+B combo is the rib and brisket Adjustable Rig. It has the oval stone and oval grid.

Well you learn something new everyday. Never saw that combo before. Mine came with an oval grid but I got the round stone.

Funny enough, I plan on just using the stone for a pizza stone as I already have a bge ps.

Is the only benefit of an oval stone that you can add charcoal/smoke wood? I have never had an issue of running out.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Yes being able to access the charcoal is one and the shape of the stone protects the longer shaped cuts of meat.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love the oval R&B combo because of the added length to protect long cuts (ribs and brisket), and ability to add wood chunks in from the side. Plus, you can set a round pizza stone down in it if you don't need the oval stone for a particular cook. All kinds of options with this setup.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Pardon me again for reviving this dead thread, but I'm about to hit order on an extender... can't decide between the 16" D grid or the 13"x17" oval.... Anyone have any strong feelings towards one or the other?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have the 13x17 oval and wish I had the 16 in D-grid. Mine is older and doesn't have the slide feature and I've nearly ordered it several times to upgrade. It really just depends on how you want to use it. I would like the ability to slide it back but I have to remove the top grid on mine as they have changed the extender design since mine was made. 

Just my opinion...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    When i got my setup i got two oval grids and the d grid. I like the top rack being larger and sliding, just a personal preference. Plus the d grid will fit down in the rig at all the other levels and you can use it like a regular grill rack.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• wepinsf
    wepinsf Posts: 49
    Options
    Have to admit when my r and b combo with oval arrived I wondered if I had wasted my money. Now I wonder how I lived without it. I'm a youngster to the egg world but the veterans here definitely were right about it being worth the purchase price.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    ^^^^^+1 I put the AR in the shopping cart then took it out and said "too much money" did that a bunch of times. I finally bought it and said the same thing...why did I wait so long. I now have two AR's a L ans XL w/ woo2.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lol^ this for weeks and weeks
    Btw buy the sliding D and the oval as an extra. It's good to have if you do ribs up top.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Yea got it all sliding D and extra oval grid for large and and a extra round grid for the XL AR cheaped out a bit and will use the oval for the L AR on XL AR if i need an extra grid .