Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teenagers (Daughters)

Options
   Anyone ever created  a recipe that actually was appreciated by a teenager Daughter?  

i

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you kidding me?? Mine is 24 and there is always something to complain about when she comes to eat. Too much salt,not enough salt and this tea taste funny.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Yes
    1 part me
    9 parts her

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ made a Bieber loaf.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • HuskerMaMa
    Options
    No daughters but, why not involve her in a cook or a bake. I think she would appreciate the time with her Daddy. It's not just about the cooking it's much deeper than that with a girl. We're complex like that. Girl power!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    My daughter is 13 and my son is 16. Someone we knew died and we were all talking about it. My son said that if I died he wanted all of my guns. 

I asked my daughter what she wanted and she said she wanted my Eggs. I was impressed! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    All boys here. <:-P
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter wanted me to teach her how to do BBQ pulled pork that was better than our favorite BBQ shack. That was a good 20 hour smoke!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am lucky my kids are all pretty easy to please.  My oldest daughter just turned 15 yesterday and requested steak for her birthday.  I agree with @HuskerMaMa it is good to get them involved.  My 15 year old when she was 11:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    My 2 daughters like pretty much everything I cook in the Egg. They really like when we do pizzas and can get in on the action...have a few friends over to make pizzas and such.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter is my sous chef.  She's right there by my side prepping cooks and helping out. 
    She's absolutely one of the best things to ever happen to me and be in my life.  Love her more than life itself.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stemc33
    Options
    That's awesome @SmokeyPitt‌. I don't think my kids would've pulled the silver skin off at that age, even if I paid them.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    I agree with those that say get them involved. Have them add the ingredients and taste as they go(stuff that can be tasted). They're more likely to eat something they create. The pizza idea is a perfect time for them to make their own. A wise dad would take notes so the recipe could be recreated when they can't be around for cooking and are just grabbing food on the go.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

My 13 year old daughter is my sous chef.  She's right there by my side prepping cooks and helping out. 
    She's absolutely one of the best things to ever happen to me and be in my life.  Love her more than life itself.

I think you just described my 2 1/2yr old granddaughter. She is way young to understand but she has to be with Poppy anytime I'm in the kitchen. Way cool!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MadcapMagician
    MadcapMagician Posts: 89
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My wife has a saying "every man wants a son, but every dad needs a daughter" I have to agree. Now that my kids are living on their own, the only time they call or text is when they need...and it's not money...its cooking advice. Plus they love the All Clad I buy them as presents now.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Raideregg
    Options
    Yes, agree too!  My 5 year old grand daughter loves being my sous chef!  She is going to rock the BGE someday.  My Daughters (3 of them) are all grown, of course wanting their own egg now!  They love when I cook on the egg, only time I get them to come over! 
                      Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's one thing I appreciate about the Egg as much as the incredible eats that come off of it.  Spending time with my baby girl planning and executing cooks. Having family over and cooking for them.  Keeping my family around because they're afraid to leave when dad fires up the Egg because they all know something goods about to happen.

The Egg is truly life changing in so many ways.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't have a daughter, but I have been teaching my niece (14) and nephew (13) about barbecue since they were much younger. The have picked up a lot of info along the way, because we always talk about what I have cooked for them while we are eating. My niece noticed the first time I made spare ribs instead of babybacks. The last time they visited, I wasn't home one day, and she pointed out that my sister had cut the leftover brisket the wrong way (with the grain)! A couple of years ago, my nephew formally thanked me for introducing him to brisket. I love those kids! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have two daughters & no sons. My youngest is 6 and is happy to eat my chicken legs everyday. My oldest is 20 & is my toughest critic. She used to say "This tastes eggy!" Not a compliment. I haven't heard that in a while, but I really have to hit a home run for her seal of approval. Everything else earns a "Meh" or a shoulder shrug.

Tough room!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@legume - or maybe the bar is set high at home :) Thus, they take it for granted and are genuinely unimpressed. Until they eat somewhere else, and come to the same realization as your son.

I remember once as a kid, I begged my mom to let me stay over later at a friend's house to eat dinner with them - they were having soup and sandwiches, which was exotic to me at the time. Mom's rule was that you had to be home by dinner time to eat with the family. We usually ate Indian food at home, so what we were going to eat sounded blah, but  sandwiches for dinner sounded really cool!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Pretty much everything I cook, as long as it does not have mushrooms in it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @caliking‌ agree - context and perspective are so important, but the bar really isn't that high in this house. We just shoot for basic and balanced most of the time and some of the stories I've heard from my kids help explain why we have nutrition/weight issues in this country. Gotta serve balanced meals to your kids!

I've seen that dorm food and having to cook for yourself really change their attitudes. Suddenly they're calling and asking 'how do you make this?' for really basic stuff they crabbed about when in HS. We just laugh and give them the 'recipe' for everyday stuff. I'm glad they're interested enough to take it on, but I would bet just about everyone's kids on this forum will take a better than average interest in cooking at some point based on watching their parents.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

As others have stated, kids - particularly daughters - are good at acting unimpressed.  However, they are often taking in more than they admit, and sometimes demonstrate how impressed they are in a delayed fashion. 

To answer the original question - "yes".  Twice.

Pineapplebaconshrimp.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149483/pineapple-bacon-shrimp-with-raspberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce-recipe-from-salado/p1

And, I also noticed that when we ate out, she ordered pork chops from time to time and seemed to really enjoy them, so based on some info here I've done them a couple of different ways and she has been pleased.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No daughters-so I cannot directly relate-but growing up with a sister and now with 30+ years of SWMBO interactions, I can say that there is a "Venus-Mars" thing out there.  And at this point in my life I don't worry about it.  Good luck to all-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I raised three daughters, each two years apart, so I'm very qualified to answer.
    No it's not possible.
    "It's too spicy" "too smokey" "not cooked enough"...." taste weird "........
    It might t be possible to please only one. Definitely not with three daughters.
    I came close once after cooking a beef tenderloin. After slicing I had to keep going back and forth to the egg getting each steak to their specific doneness.
    Closest I've come.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I feel like the luckiest dad on earth. My 28 year old daughter loves to hangout with her old jarhead dad.. We cook and do canning ,kayak and star gaze. And here she is at nasa on vacation and text me this picture. " testing out the Wolowitz toilet "and yes she helps egg.image
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    They grow up and then they bring grand teenagers home to Grandpa.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I feel like the luckiest dad on earth. ....image
    UrbanForestTurnings ... You will be the luckiest dad alive if she lets you live after posting her "bathroom" picture on the internet.  You might not want to tell her about this.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    And here she is at nasa on vacation and text me this picture. " testing out the Wolowitz toilet ".

Don't you mean the "Wolowitz Waste Dispersal System"?

Flint, Michigan
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Pizza on BGE is always hit with teenage girls.  did it for niece who is picky beyond picky and a few of her friends last summer, she's not stopped talking about it and has requested an encore multiple times.  her mother exclaimed that she was amazed that her daughter ate something besides gummi bears and pop tarts.  I made a veggie pizza- green peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, a little fresh tomato sauce (homemade) on some scratch-made crust all on the Big Green Egg, and well, let's just say it was a home run that is still zooming through the air.

You will never, and I mean never ever ever go wrong with pizza for teens- especially on the Big Green Egg!