Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

blasphemous post

Any suggestions on healthy noodles? Set down...any app wrap ideas other than bacon?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Healthy noodles - get ya a spiral veggie slicer.  Assume noodles.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Don't know of any healthy bacon substitutes depending on what other foods you are eating bacon may not be that bad. For noodles I have used zucchini noodles for the last year and don't really miss the pasta noodles.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    First off... There are no healthy noodles... Just egg/grill a protein and pair it with a big fresh salad.
  • +1 on the zucchini "pasta".  Just julienne lengthwise or slice into ribbons.  A mandoline makes this MUCH easier, albeit more dangerous.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Using "Against The Grain". Good stuff on there. Go Broncos!!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    henapple said:

Any suggestions on healthy noodles? Set down...any app wrap ideas other than bacon?

Ok..for real...spaghetti squash...very good

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Try shirataki noodles- they come in spaghetti and fettuccine styles. Very low carb
    Greensboro, NC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    OK, when I was young, my parents went on a health kick and started using bean sprouts in-leau of pasta.  They cough up moisture after covering with spaghetti sauce, so your plate ends up with a sea of water, but it doesn't taste bad and adds an interesting crunch.

For me, the real secret to starch is portion control.  just put less pasta, potato, rice, bread, whatever, on your plate.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    +1 on the veg spaghetti.  my wife bought one of those 'as shown on tv' spiral slicers for making veg noodles and I laughed (mistake). it works really well, easiest way to make noodles from zucchini, etc.  It's kind of cool.  It's NOT pasta, but it's not like you're eating a plate of zucchini either.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    We ordered one of these to make zucchini pasta. 

Haven't tried it yet...will report back tomorrow.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Zoodles +1. Veggeti
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    Zmokin said:
    OK, when I was young, my parents went on a health kick and started using bean sprouts in-leau of pasta.  They cough up moisture after covering with spaghetti sauce, so your plate ends up with a sea of water, but it doesn't taste bad and adds an interesting crunch.

For me, the real secret to starch is portion control.  just put less pasta, potato, rice, bread, whatever, on your plate.
    @Hapster has a good thought to go along with the above and that's cook protein and serve with veggies, either salad or just a simple veggie. If your intent is to limit carbs, this might be the most appropriate way to go. 

Not much different than wheat noodles but rice noodles are a favourite around our house, Singapore style being the #1. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    My wife served me zoodles with pasta sauce. I thought, boy, this is good vegetable pasta sauce, itd be great on some noodles.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmokeyPitt
    P.S.
    You can sub prosciutto or pancetta for bacon for wrapping purposes.  I don't think these are necessarily healthier per volume, but they are typically very thin so you will simply get a smaller serving. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

+1 to what @Zmokin said. Portion control is key. I've seen dry ramen noodles that were not fried at the Asian supermarket here. Spaghetti squash is really good stuff, and that zoodle maker is supposed to be good too ( I have one, but yet to use it).

Lastly, turkey bacon is healthier, but much leaner than regular bacon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Paderno spiral slicer is great for making zucchini noodles.  I would recommend the newer four slicer version.  The design of the four blade slicer is more stable, compact, and it stores in a contained rectangular unit.  The design used to push the food through the slicer is more efficient.  The fourth blade makes angel hair style noodles as well.  I have both the three and the four blade unit. Will be giving the three blade unit to my daughter-in-law to make zucchini noodles for our grandchildren. She has a much bigger kitchen and storage space!  It's also great for slicing apples, cabbage, carrots, and making home made spiral potato ships or french fries.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    My wife bought the spiral slicer to be healthier, but chances are I am going to use it 90% of the time to make curly fries topped with chili and cheese.

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    hapster said:
    First off... There are no healthy noodles... Just egg/grill a protein and pair it with a big fresh salad.
    This is very incorrect on the noodle front.

You have 3 options for healthy noodles..

1- squash noodles using the vegetti that was previously mentioned.

2- the spaghetti squash that was previously mentioned.

3- and the most interesting of them all is the shirataki pasta.  It's an asian noodle, made from a vegetable root that has no calories, carbs, or basically anything!  It takes on any of the flavor you add it to.  They are more expensive, take a bit of getting used to, but help substitute fiber and keep you full.

Source- I have lost over 50 pounds this year on a low carb, high protein diet.  Hapster did have the right statement about eating a protein and a some green foods, however.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Rice noodles are healthier but consider spiraling veggies as said above..
    Beaufort, SC
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    AUCE said:
    Ok..for real...spaghetti squash...very good

This! Spaghetti squash. It is natures pasta. It is the weirdest thing nut when we were eating paleo it was awesome.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    hapster said:

Agree w @hapster‌ We've been doing this a lot lately. I love carbs but this has been great. We'll grill a little chicken, or a dozen shrimp, or a small piece of salmon and pair it with a nice big green salad. It stretches the protein and is delicious and filling. No bacon, no carbs, low fat.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • As I'm reading this I'm eating chicken curry with apples,carrots, bell pepper,onion, Vermont Curry sause, and Nasoya Pasta Zero fettichini.  This is the second time trying the Pasta Zero and it's GREAT.

I dropped 35 lbs going to no carbs ( but a lot of egged meat).  Spaghetti squash is good but I craved the noodles , in soup , under sauce, ect.  

I rinse the noodles and then add them to the recipe and cook it very little.

Give them a try and I hope you find them a good alterative to High Carb pasta.

Chris 
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    henapple said:
    Whole Foods has lentil noodles.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    We had these tonight for the first time. Pretty good. Costco sells them. image
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @theyolksonyou‌ what are they like? I keep trying to convince my wife every time I walk by them at Costco.
  • theyolksonyou
    @Eggcelsior‌ we had them in a taco bake in place or tortillas tonight so they didn't shine in the meal. My wife over cooked them a little so they were a little chewy going in. They are very similar to regular pasta in that they don't have a lot of flavor. No black bean taste at all. Al dente, I think they'd be a good choice, definitely over other whole wheat or gluten free noodles. I ate one raw and it was similar to regular spaghetti.

ultimately, my 8 and 13 yr old boys ate every bite. That says something.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do the zoodle...
  • theyolksonyou
    We do the zoodle as well. Love the zoodle.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Try some shirataki noodles.  They are made from elephant yam, have close to zero carbs or calories, and take on the flavor of whatever you put them with.  We get them at a local Korean grocery store.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nobody like elephant yam more than ...@Mickey‌