Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon In Progress

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
First time curing salmon for cold smoking. Looks like it will be really cold when its ready for the smoke. Will try a 100W light bulb to add some heat. Any thoughts from those who have done this before on what flavor pellets to use in the AMNPS for salmon?

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I can't help but I'm following this. I want to try some.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Options
    Based on the forecast ambient temps will be way too low for cold smoking when its ready. So I rigged up this 250W heat lamp. Have the platesetter in, will put the AMNPS down beside the heat lamp somewhere. Need to elevate it a bit to get airflow. Just plugged it in with platesetter and the Maverick is watching temps for me for a test run. I'm sure the AMNPS will give off some heat so I figure I can just unplug the lamp if it gets too warm.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Ok, this seems to work. Ambient temp is 30*F and in 10 minutes grid temp is 57*F. I might need to drop back to a 100W bulb...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I'm also watching this to see how it turns out I'm planning on doing it myself 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMW
    Options
    Ok, just took it out of the cure, rinsed, and patted dry. The texture has definitely change, firmer/denser like expected. Now back in the fridge to form a pellicle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Alder or maple pellets would do nicely - or both.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq I have Oak, Apple, and a Hickory/Cherry/Maple mix on hand. I doubt I could find anywhere with pellets open on New Year's Day. Out of what I have would Apple or the Hickory/Cherry/Maple be the best choice?

Thanks!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Hickory and Apple are both good for salmon. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @dmw let us know you're this turns out, I'm definitely interested in cold smoking salmon.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    I've done this quite a few times. I typically use apple. We've never been disappointed.
  • DMW
    Options
    Ok, not as cold as I thought it would be. Ambient temp is 36*F. I have the 250W heat lamp in and it looks like I'll need to cycle it on and off to keep close to 54*F. My last 100W build in the house had a broken filament and I'd go get more, but oh yeah, can't do that...

@MacKay52 Thanks for the input, have apple pellets going.imageimageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    Just came off. I only needed the heat lamp for the first 15 minutes or so to get it up to temp. After that the heat from the AMNPS and the insulation of the eggs ceramics were enough to keep the grid temp at 55* the entire 6 hours with ambient temps around 30*. Looking forward to some for breakfast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    OK, first of all if any of you have been delaying the purchase of Charcuterie by Ruhlman & Polcyn, stop what you are doing and go buy it. Now.

OK, back?

Just had it for breakfast on a bagel with cream cheese. Wow... I followed the Smoked Salmon recipe in the above book exactly and used apple pellets in the Amaze-N-Smoker. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks awesome. I have the APL cookbook also. Highly recommend!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    Do you have the instructions / step by step on how you did this? It looks like you lite the pellets before putting them in the egg?? Is that correct?

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    DMW I'd eat that before it even hit the smoke. That, sliver of onion, bit of dill on dark rye bread. 
    A little smoke would only make it better.

=D>

The Finns would call that 'suolla kala'
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • DMW
    Options
    @bvdw - Cen-Tex did an awesome tutorial on how to use the AMNPS:

Yes, you light it outside the egg, then set it in once the pellet smoke is established.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Great job. Love salmon any way that it's fixed
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother D, sorry I missed this post earlier. This working crap is really interfering with my cooking and forum time. As always, the grub looks spectacular. Believe it or not, salmon is one of my favorites.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH - No worries, this post was from over a year ago before you were even on the forum. It just got bumped again today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA