Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I like big... Pork butts that is. Help me!

Options
ummgood
ummgood Posts: 120
I got a big pork butt at Costco tonight. It is near 14 pounds. I think I am going to cut it in half and freeze half. Anyway this is my first butt. I have done ribs and chicken. I plan on rubbing tonight and cooking tomorrow. About how long at 250 for 7lbs? Do you let it come to room temp? This is for my lunches next week so I don't need it done at a certain time. I just want it done when I am awake.
Austin, TX
BGE-Large, Weber EP-330

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    From costo it is probably two pieces already. 1,5-2 hrs per lb. No room temp, just season and throw it on. Mustard is NOT necessary. Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A lot of those Costco butts are two packs, so up you may have two already. I'd cook between 250-275 and expect 12-14 hours depending on the stall. It'll stall around 160 for awhile. If you don't have a deadline, just let it ride till it probes like buttah somewhere between 195-205.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ^^^^ good advice.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My temps are for pulled pork, if you want chopped, pull at 185ish. Either way, you're in for some good eats.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't cook to time cook to tenderness. Start checking around 185-190. If it probes tough let it go another 5 degrees or 30 minutes. Keep checking till probe goes in like warm butter and the bone wiggles easily

I've had butts done at 190 and some at 205. All depends on the piece.

Also count on an hour rest wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler.

If time is an issue you can wrap at stall and it will power through. I usually wrap once the bark gets to the color I want.

One thing nice about pork butt is if it is over done it will crumble instead of pull. It will still be tender and taste good.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ummgood
    Options
    Thanks! I put mustard :(. Oh well it should still taste good. I did end up having two. I froze one and had to tie the other because it was pretty loose. Here is what I put in the fridge.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    Nothing wrong with mustard at all. Lots of good rubs use mustard as a base.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Mustard won't hurt anything, it just isn't needed. You're gonna love this cook.

Oh and no need for the foil towel cooler thing unless it finishes early and you need to hold it til dinner. I never rest mine. Cook pull eat.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HostileHarry
    Options
    I use mustard all the time. I typically go a little heavier in the rub to make sure you no longer see yellow. It will turn out great!

Agreed with @Carolina Q‌ You don't have to FTC unless you see need to hold it!
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    anyone ever inject their pork butt?  If so, any recipes?
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @beatarmy ... Google "Chris Lilly pork butt" and you'll find his recipe for an apple juice injection and a YouTube video of how he does it ... and cooks it in an egg. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Options
    beatarmy said:

anyone ever inject their pork butt?  If so, any recipes?

Nope. Rub only. Sometimes just s&p. Mighty tasty either way.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I usually don't bother injecting because the butts turn out great with just a rub.  It is fun to try different things every once in a while though.  I did this method once:

Basically you strain the solids out of Italian dressing, inject the liquid, then make a slather with the solids.  It was really good and I will probably give this a try again one day. 

Here is the vid that describes it (starts around 1:45)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ummgood
    Options
    Bootylicious
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    We are getting there. I stopped to help my daughter wrap a present for a bday party and the temp went crazy for 30 minutes or so. I got it back under control.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    At 4.5 hours I am already at the stall. Seems really fast.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I would say that is fairly normal. 7 pounds and I am guessing it is boneless since it came from costco. I have bone in 8-10 pounders that will get to 150-160 in 5 or 6 hours.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• ummgood
    Options
    Thanks! I have been in the stall for over 3 hours. It really intrigues me. It actually has dropped 7 degrees IT.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Now over four hours. I cranked up the temp another 30 degrees or so.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You might try moving your probe. Make sure you're not in a fat pocket.
  • ummgood
    Options
    I can try moving it. Wouldn't the fat eventually end up at the same temp?
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah that's a long plateau. Move the probe and also try another thermometer if you have one. Just to double check.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    Options
    I average around 2 hours a pound around 250. From what I gather you went on at 10am and have not hit 10 hours yet on your way to around 14 hours. All seems normal to me.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• ummgood
    Options
    It just went up instead of down. I am guessing I have about 6-7 pounds so I have some more hours.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    It is starting to climb Yey. I am back at 160 now.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Getting close now?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• ummgood
    Options
    I just pulled it 15 minutes ago. The taste is amazing! My dog wouldn't leave the kitchen. I ended up pulling at 200 IT after 12.5 hours. I could have probably let it go to 205 but I was ready for bed as there was a small bit that was "slightly" tough to pull. As a whole it was great. As a side note I had some strange egg behavior I haven't seen before with my shorter ~6 hour cooks. A couple times I had steep temp climbs over a period of 10 minutes after 2 hours of stable temps and I didn't touch the egg at all. Then one time the temp dropped suddenly 50 degrees and stabilized. This was both measured at the grill. The egg dome thermometer seemed to closely match. I can't wait for my stoker to arrive. I am overall happy and it really wasn't a big deal.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Oh and thanks everyone for your help! I love this Egg!
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Looks good enjoy!

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    I do 225f until internal temp his 200.... It usually takes me 12 hours...