Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not another spatchcock...

2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @DMW or @theyolksonyou ... please explain the "salt trick" and why you use it.  I'm missing something with adding salt when you're simply going to roll up the aluminum foil/salt/drippings and throw them all away ... why add salt?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    DMW said:
    ... The salt had absorbed all the drippings and I simply wrapped the edges of foil in and dropped the foil/salt/grease in the trash.

It's kind of gross, so I won't embed the image, but the thumbnail is there if you want to see what it looked like.

wat? you didn't save that to brine your next bird?  =))
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @Jeepster47 - No matter how hard I try, somehow grease manages to get underneath the foil and in the drip pan. Pinholes, poor wrapping, I have no idea. The salt absorbs the grease as it drips. The other advantage of this is if you want to remove the drip pan to switch from indirect to direct, etc, you don't have to worry about spilling the grease on the deck, or worse yet, on lit lump in the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good looking bird! And your little dude looks like he definitely approved :)

I tried the salt in the pan method once, but thought it was wasteful. My drip pan come from the dollar store, so I just pitch them after the cook. Which is also done what wasteful I guess. I need to check how much a box of kosher salt costs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I'm with @dmw here. I was tossing dollar store pans, but I was reorging the kitchen and found a 16" deep dish pizza pan. Perfect for the large! Forgot salt on my meatloaf the other day, huge pita cleaning the drip pan!
  • DMW said:
    Thanks guys. I did have one oddity with the skin. I had dried it overnight in the fridge, and for the most part had perfectly crisp skin. 

However, a circle of skin directly below the chimney was damp and rubbery. It almost seemed like it had been rained on, but there was no rain. You can kind of see it in the pic on the lower part of the breast skin.

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm thinking that with the chicken being so close to the dome and the cold ambient temps, condensation of some sort gathered? I really have no idea and this is a stab in the dark.

Also, pulled the drip pan out last night and set it out to cool. This morning I brought it in and the salt made cleanup so easy. The salt had absorbed all the drippings and I simply wrapped the edges of foil in and dropped the foil/salt/grease in the trash.

It's kind of gross, so I won't embed the image, but the thumbnail is there if you want to see what it looked like.

Now I read your post. Have a duck on high in the dome. Think you might have it figured out.