Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Dark on Social Media

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Side note. Whether people want to believe it or not prospective employers often check these things
    So do burglars, crack heads, meth monkeys, thieves, sex offenders and thugs.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Meth Monkeys! Awesome!!! =)) =)) =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Allstate'S 'Mayhem' Ads Warn Against Oversharing …: http://youtu.be/w__xMWbNrHg
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Allstate Mayhem Sale: Items for Sale: http://youtu.be/Mb7QQZStHuk
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited January 2015
    @NPHuskerFL -- Okay, that makes sense. I can totally understand setting examples and doing things for the benefit of the family. Sure hope your son learns the message.

I personally feel that social media can be a very positive part of our lives. Face it, it's here to stay and growing. It's such a great source for instant information. Just today i got a tweet that the I-10 ramp near my house was closed and traffic was back up. I was sure glad I was on Twitter. Traffic, weather, news alerts, It's awesome.  We all just have to use common sense, when it come to giving out personal information and don't say anything you might regret. I think Social media is wonderful.
    FB and Twitter can become addicting, just like almost everything, moderation is the key. I limit my time on social media and never neglect my responsibilities for personal pleasure or addictions. Family first.

Glad you didn't leave the forum. You are fun and informative.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    @TigerTony‌ I can't leave. It's contractual in the egghead nuthouse =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Unit #9 will easily hold a whole cow and two medium size hogs at the same time. Unit #9 is a formidable smoker for sure. I have the door bracings positioned to allow me to use the fork lift for loading and unloading whole carcass. The fork lift takes a lot of the aggravation out of it. Unit #1 and Unit #7 will both sit inside of Unit #9 at the same time.
    =========
    Like I said earlier, @SGH has a big unit. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    Somebody buy it now! Before I ditch it in a lake! =))
    Thief sells stolen car in clever Allstate 'Mayhem…: http://youtu.be/2zFkGK8agA4
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Gotta tell ya I was ROTFLMFAO reading the comments, gifs and videos. I watched the Playa video a few times along with the Chicago one. Y'all are awesome! All of y'all!!! Thanks! This is what I saw once I logged back in.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I applaud and respectthe way and manner in which you are teaching your son lessons of the technical age. Parents that teach as an example to their children are few in numbers. I wish you success.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Lets face it the real info you don't want out is held by tons of places where it can get hacked/stolen.  Things like social security, credit cards etc are out there and not in our control.  I'm pretty sure nobody gives a damn about me posting that I thought the roughriders should have won the football game over the BC Lions on facebook, or tweeted that I went snowboarding.

As an example I got a message from the place that carried my student loan, some employee lost a portable drive that had all of my (and hundreds of thousands of others) student loan info on it.  This included my SIN #, banking info and address.  Very important info for hijacking my identity.  The company has paid for credit protection for 5 years, but I find those things way more important to keep secure than posting a couple pics and status updates on social media.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Glad to see this was a short lived hiatus. Would have missed your posts.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    Are you just peeking out of the closet or are you fully in the light?? Totally agree you have to show the the kids how its done every once in a while

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @bigalsworth‌ information security leaks are also a huge problem. One of which I'm acquainted with DOD (approx 38 million affected) and VA (2x which affected at least 26 million Veterans information was breached). These type of things we have little to no control over. But, info we Willy Nilly release to anybody looking on Social media which is then shared and reshared. We do have control over the information we put out over the social media sites. A lot of people CHOOSE to publicize literally everything from Birthdays, deaths, anniversaries, vacations, etc...you name it and somebody has likely shared it. People love to publicly air their own dirty laundry. Makes no damn sense.
    I agree nobody probably cares that I can't wait till the Broncos play tomorrow at 430 PM EST. Or that I just planted flowers, picked oranges, blah, blah. But, why put out anymore secure info than we need to.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I know I just came in….actually no idea when this thread started. But I was hooked once I started reading, and 5 pages later I feel like I just watched a wild movie!! I popped off the forum grid a ways back, mainly due to lack of time…well, not off, off….but popping my head in once in a while.

Reading through, and seeing the relationships and people helping each other out reminds me of back in the day. Posting every night….wife wondering why. The more I learned, the more I wanted to share. I see that is still going on….and it is great to see.

I'm so glad that over the time I started to read this thread, Blake is back. The world is good, and a good point was made. This big brother thing is kinda scary. I learned something tonight.

I love happy endings. Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • @NPHuskerFL‌ no doubt probably to much info is shared, I myself don't twitter and only use FB to easily keep in contact with friends, rarely do I post and what I do is trivial. I guess my comment was aimed more at the tinfoil hat, watch out for the man guys. No judgememt intended on what you are trying to teach your boy, I think its a great idea to lead by example.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    Good to see ya back in the saddle @Nature Boy‌ This place is like the dysfunctional family I never had. How could I possibly leave that? B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL

Are you just peeking out of the closet or are you fully in the light?? Totally agree you have to show the the kids how its done every once in a while

I'm completely out of the closet. Whoa! Wait just one damn minute! You got me pegged all wrong unless this wasn't....metaphorically speaking. =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I feel the true problem with FB & T is that once you send a message to friends or family, they can easily forward it to someone else that they feel needs to know. That person can forward it to another that they think should know and soon you may have reached the six degrees of separation and a bad guy somewhere knows it. That is where the trouble can begin. Of course exactly the same thing can happen with emails etc. Just be aware of what you put out in the world on transmittable media.

If you are a stand up sort of person what Big Brother knows about you (basically everything) is generally inconsequential although misinterpretations of things can and sometimes do happen.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ya, Blake….It's easy to get close to this group…but it will always be there, just maybe a different group down the road. I think my first post was somewhere around 1998. Not sure how many I got now…but it is an extremely wild ever-changing family…all with a common goal of cooking the best food ever in your mouf.

On this social media thing, hard to say….but what you teach your kids about it is real important. Bottom line always seems to come back to whether the content is something that is okay to go public with. If you are good, you are good. If you are an idiot, you are an idiot. It comes through in your posts. Idiots get noticed. Hard to hide these days, but precautions are not a bad thing.

Cheers!! 
    Nature (looking back over my shoulder) Boy
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Welcome back Blake. It is good to know that the planet will still rotate for at least one cycle (24hrs) while you stepped away.
    Now quit messing around and call @fusionhq‌ back.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Side note. Whether people want to believe it or not prospective employers often check these things before hiring and can be used for termination. It is a 100% fact. It's easy to hide behind a computer etc and spout crap but, there are sometimes real consequences that follow as a direct result.

College and NFL teams have staff that check prospects twitter and FB, employers check it, it can all be used against you.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    It's not the typical Joe Schmoe I'm worried about with social media, it's Big Brother and Corporate America. Also, just seems like too much drama on FB. Never had an account, but hear people talking about others or feeling bad/guilty because they didn't accept a friend request. Blah, blah, blah

I will give FB credit though. They're trying to fight subpoenas and warrants. They said something to the effect that letting the courts look into accounts isn't like going into someone's house and seizing their property, but argues it's like a search and seizure of an entire 400 house neighborhood and it violates the IV Amendment.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited January 2015

@NPhuskerfl

Heeee..ssssss Baaaack!

Dude you gettn the jitters?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I don't have Twitter, but I do have Facebook. I guess I am what you would describe on FB as a lurker. I very seldom post, but I do look at the postings of others often. 

One thing I have learned from FB is that there are real crazies out there and a lot of people needing attention. 

Some of the public rants that people do on there counts as entertainment. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @johnkitchens‌, I think people lurk on forums. I've never heard of a FB lurker, on FB it's called a FB stalker.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Nice publicity stunt Blake!!!

Only kidding! Glad you teach you son..I can't stand people who are on their devices 100% of the time during dinner and meetings and such.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Side note. Whether people want to believe it or not prospective employers often check these things before hiring and can be used for termination. It is a 100% fact. It's easy to hide behind a computer etc and spout crap but, there are sometimes real consequences that follow as a direct result.
    I think like any social interaction you have filter out the weird thoughts that pop into your head which I think a lot of folks fail at on line and that is what causes them problems.  If you are walking down the street you would never yell out look at her fat ass but lots of folks seem to do it online.

Gerhard