Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying chicken wings

Options
I'm just curious, I've never bought chicken wings before. But recent posts make me want to try some on the egg. :)

Where do you by them? How much do you unusually pay? I know there will be differences by region. I just checked at my local grocery store and they only sold frozen for about $2.75-3 a pound.

My first thought is it seemed expensive since you can get drumsticks or hindquarters for much cheaper.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They are more expensive than other parts of the bird. I buy them in the 6 - 6 packs at Costco, not frozen. When I get home they go straight to the deep freezer usually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    :-O
    Jacksonville FL
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was just at coscto earlier today. I should have checked. Surprises me they are expensive. Must be because to get ones big enough for you to want to eat you need some large chickens or something. Whenever we get a rotissaire from coscto or cook one on the egg I usually toss the wings.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's what they look like. I try to keep them in the freezer at all times, never know when I decide I want wings...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I usually buy the frozen packs at Costco.  They are already cut, with the tips trimmed off and they are individually frozen.  So, it makes it easy to just take out as many as you need and keep the rest in the freezer.  If you are not seasoning them, you can even take them right from freezer to grill (i know, that sound sketchy but since the wing is so small it seems to thaw quick and has no effect on the finished product...it also says you can do that on the bag).  I used to get them in the food store "fresh" but then, they're just a mess to deal with.

If I'm having a party and want to spice/marinade them ahead, you can even take the frozen ones and mix them up with all your seasoning in a bag the day before.  They'll thaw and get the spices on them just fine.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Brddog
    Brddog Posts: 18
    Options
    Strange as it may sound Wal-Mart has the best chicken wings in my opinion. You can find them fresh and unfrozen in the chicken section sold by the dozen.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Where you from @Froman‌ ? Costco wings are good but someone local to you may know a better place.
  • Froman
    Options
    @Lit Iowa.

I need to look around at more places. Before seeing recent posts on wings I would have never tried to make them. Now I want to do some practicing. They look so tasty! And perfect thing for when friends are over.

I want to make ones similar to a local BBQ joint. Rub only or rub and some BBQ sauce. I don't like Tabasco flavored hot wings.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Just a quick tidbit. Wings are the best part of the chicken. Big wings are the best. Don't waste your time with small wings. A purveyor may call them "jumbos"…but you know when you see them. Up here in the DC area (MD, VA) Giant food has monster wings. The Family Pack has 20-24. Get that if you have a Giant Food….otherwise, look for biguns. 

Happy winging!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I prefer my wings cut at the joint. I am currently a fan of whole foods wings. $3.50 / lbs for bell&evans chickens.
  • Metalmaker
    Options
    Just be sure to check the package. If it says "Enhanced with a solution of blah blah blah" I try to avoid them.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Froman‌ Iowa?? Come on, everyone knows your the sausage king of Chicago!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    Options
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Locate a local butcher and buy fresh jumbos. You'll pay more but well worth it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I prefer fresh wings and I like to keep them whole.  I will cut off the tips if I need room.  If I am having them as an appetizer for guests I will cut them into the wingies and drummies so they are easier to eat (finger food).  Then of course there are lollipops but I only have the attention span to do about 12 of those.  

I have also tried the bag of frozen wings from Costco/BJs like @KiterTodd suggested and they are great as well.  If I am doing a big batch I will go for one of those. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Wings used to be scraps and thrown away. Not they are ridiculously overpriced. They will even say there is a shortage around Super Bowl time and raise prices more.

Considering how much meat is on them, ehole breasts are usually cheaper so I end up making baffalo chicken sandwiches.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Wings used to be scraps and thrown away. Not they are ridiculously overpriced. They will even say there is a shortage around Super Bowl time and raise prices more. Considering how much meat is on them, ehole breasts are usually cheaper so I end up making baffalo chicken sandwiches.
    The wings, like the rest of the birds, are much bigger now than when they started making them in Buffalo. Still, I can't bring myself to spend more on wings than legs or thighs. Back when, I could always tell when the economy was going thru a rough patch 'cause a local market would start selling packages of chicken necks and back. Things never were bad enough that they would sell wings.

And don't get me started on "ox-tails." The only place I knew selling them was in bulk from a slaughter house, and they went for .07 - .10 a pound.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ if you are ever north up here Fergusons has really good jumbo wings and they are only $12-$13 for a 5 pound bag. They come seperated though which is more flipping.
  • Froman
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

@gdenby‌ I was thinking like you. How could wings be more than boneless skinless breast! But... I'm going to start messing around with them. A few weeks ago I would have never thought to make them.

@blind99‌ Haha. I've heard that before with my handle! He is probably mad when I get his handle somewhere. What if he became an egger!?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I buy them at the butcher, yes more expensive but his whole chickens are 5 - 7 lbs so the wings are huge. They can stand up to overcooking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hard to even find wings this time of year around here. Bowl season and NFL playoffs are very good for the wing suppliers here in N. IL.
  • blind99
    Options
    Froman is all yours. He can be TheRealAbeFroman.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I've been buying my wings from SAMS for years now. They come lined up on a tray so you can get a good idea of their size. Typically there are 25 to 28 wings to a package that runs about $14. These are whole wings and I just take a butcher knife and separate each into 3 pieces. I used to try to make stock from the tips but honestly it's not worth the effort. BTW the brand I believe is Pilgrim.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Duh.  It didn't even dawn on me that football was to blame for having a tough time finding wings last weekend.  
    I'm a sad excuse for a football fan.  

I did find bags and bags of frozen "wing portions" at Krgoer the other day.  Looked a little too questionable.  May try Sam's or Costco next time  

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Wings use to be cheap.  but then the fad caught on, and now those of us who have always loved chicken wings have to pay more due to the popularity.  Perfect example of supply vs. demand driving the cost.  However, I have found if you can buy whole wings, they are cheaper.  Of course you are paying for the weight of the tips, but I love gnawing on the tips as well.  If you don't want to serve the tips, you can still cook them, but don't sauce them and save them for making homemade chicken stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Try your local Fareway store (I'm originally from Iowa). They typically have a very good meat dept. I wish I had a Fareway closer to me as they have very good prices too.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't forget turkey wings. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i get the cheapest wings at my local market basket that they have and avoid the yellow orange ones like the plague. they seem to nly sell left wings up here
    :-\"  i really dont know what they cost but never noticed them being more per pound than thighs. recently started using the boneless thighs for buffalo chicken sandwiches
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShadowNick
    Options

i get the cheapest wings at my local market basket that they have and avoid the yellow orange ones like the plague. they seem to nly sell left wings up here
    :-\"  i really dont know what they cost but never noticed them being more per pound than thighs. recently started using the boneless thighs for buffalo chicken sandwiches
    I too have converted to boneless thighs for my buffalo needs.  More meat, more surface area for the wing sauce to cling too.  Easy to grill.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I buy chicken wings in the 2-pack. They come with a bonus... the rest of the chicken is attached. I've never bought or cooked just wings. I like em but that just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut