Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not another spatchcock...

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Yep, another ordinary spatchcock... I'm trying the salt in the drip pan trick from @Mickey to see how it helps with cleanup.

Montreal Chicken Seasoning for rub:

Got the small to temp with a small chunk of pecan. And it was 16* at startup time.

Bird went on, lighting or white balance, or both, was really weird.

And now there are decisions to be made...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Looking good so far.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Excellent!!! Fantastic selection except.... :-?? No Yuengling? Isn't that like our Mothership? What's up wit dat Dwayne? :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You are in good shape for the night
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    @NPHuskerFL - You're right...in fact it's been awhile since I've had that in stock. I need to lower my inventory and that will be my next restock.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    I'm sure you could find a volunteer or two or three to help you lower your inventory :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Looks good. None of my beer :-&
  • DMW
    @UrbanForestTurnings - OK, what's your poison?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Always love your back drop....Not to shabby on the adult bev's..Have a great evening.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    edited January 2015
    @UrbanForestTurnings - Sometimes my memory isn't so good. Not sure why when discussing beverages that tends to be the case...  :-??
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    DMW said:

@NPHuskerFL - You're right...in fact it's been awhile since I've had that in stock. I need to lower my inventory and that will be my next restock.

Get rid of the cider for it. [-X
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    Chubbs said:

DMW said:

Get rid of the cider for it. [-X
    You reorganize. You don't deplete. More inventory is better.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • My daughter just came home from Florida. She went to nasa and universal. See what she got me.image
  • NPHuskerFL
    @UrbanForestTurnings‌ What no.....t-shirt :-\"
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    @Chubbs - The cider wasn't my idea...
    Check out these embarrassing drinks wasting space in the fridge door...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    The only people disappointed about another spatchcock...are the chickens LOL =))
  • NPHuskerFL
    Those are to be consumed pinky up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just messing with you @DMW. Solid selection. I need to restock my beer fridge
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @UrbanForestTurnings‌ What no.....t-shirt :-\"

Yep. So I took back her Christmas gift. Got a new jerky ripperimage
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @DMW-props for the cook and the endorsement from "Little Guy.!"  
     However, when deciding what to load into the adult beverage fridge I have always invoked the "Life is too short for light beer" mantra-Personal preference over a few years on the planet.  Never been disappointed!  :)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nice cook. You son looks like he enjoyed it.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    angry orchard is good... toss that johnny Appleseed crap! :D and the budlight....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    If the kid likes it, you've done good. Looks like you pulled it just at the perfect temp.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me brother D =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited January 2015
    Love me some spatch Yard bird!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Your son is very serious about that leg!
    Get rid if that cider. It is good for nothing but injecting into Brisket per @NPHuskerFL‌
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DMW
    Thanks guys. I did have one oddity with the skin. I had dried it overnight in the fridge, and for the most part had perfectly crisp skin. 

However, a circle of skin directly below the chimney was damp and rubbery. It almost seemed like it had been rained on, but there was no rain. You can kind of see it in the pic on the lower part of the breast skin.

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm thinking that with the chicken being so close to the dome and the cold ambient temps, condensation of some sort gathered? I really have no idea and this is a stab in the dark.

Also, pulled the drip pan out last night and set it out to cool. This morning I brought it in and the salt made cleanup so easy. The salt had absorbed all the drippings and I simply wrapped the edges of foil in and dropped the foil/salt/grease in the trash.

It's kind of gross, so I won't embed the image, but the thumbnail is there if you want to see what it looked like.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Create looking spatch.  I really like the montreal chicken seasoning.  For a commercial rub I think it is really good.  

That is odd about the one piece of skin.  My guess would be that the juice from the chicken simply puddled up there.  Maybe it was the juice coming from the legs where they overlap a little.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Love that salt trick. Been doing that last couple of long cooks. Works great.