Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Handles

Options
2»

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌, just noticed in your signature line that you have a XLBGE. The drawing is for a large.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    @RRP‌ what finish is on those handles, btw? There're beautiful. I need to do something with my OEM handle, as well as the shelves I bought with my large. Still haven't put the shelves on. Was wanting to figure out the best way to finish them and the handle before I put them on, to avoid too much fading or sun damage. Can you give me some direction? Yours are the first handles I've seen close up and I really like them.
    Those were made by LawnRanger and I'm pretty sure those were finished with poly urethane. Even though I keep my eggs covered they have dulled over the years. I personally have had very good luck using marine spar varnish on this fold down side shelf. Just follow the mfg suggestion and apply at least 3 coats if not 4.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    I hear you on all of the above! You are correct it is a Jet 1236. I can see that I'm going to want something with more clearance soon though. I found you in facebook right after I posted that. I love that spalted cherry bowl! Beautiful work sir!

Well thank you. Wood is in my blood. Or sawdust for brains. ;)
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    RRP said:
    Keep the tools sharp. And take your time. Full face shield. Don't drink and turn. Trust me on that
    Excellent ideas - one thing that I love is my turner's apron as I call it.  It has a bib that goes clear up to and around my neck and then uses Velcro to secure it behind my head. Even the material itself is slick so the sawdust doesn't stick to it.

It's nice to see other wood turners are egg heads.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Cherry shavings all day long. Think I have all the parts for a cold smoke generator.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    You know Ron it's funny other than the ones going down the neck of my shirt I don't mind the shavings at all. I really haven't been able to spend a ton of time on the lathe yet because shortly after I got it I came into this other deal on the whole shop. I bought the lathe then went looking for a bandsaw and low and behold now I'm trying to clear out my two car garage to make room for the shop. I just had a 10'x16' shed built in the back yard which took a majority of the mess from the garage but now need to move all the other tools out of the way so I can get the rest of the stuff in. The first night I put that piece of zebra wood on the lathe and put the skey chisel to it I was hooked all over again. Last time I was on a lathe was high school. But as soon as the first warm chips flew all over my arm I was in hog heaven! I'm working every spare minute I have without loosing family time to try and get things going. Hell I haven't been on here much at all in the last three months and my wife swears you guys are my second family!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    And it's a shame most schools don't have any kind of shop class
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    And people wonder why kids can't even put together boxed furniture anymore!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    Options
    And it's a shame most schools don't have any kind of shop class
    I hear you, George, but even in 1959 when I was able to take SHOP our school did not own any power tools other than a drill press. OTOH I grew up with a Father who loved wood working though his tiny space left little room. When I showed a budding interest at age 12 or 13 as he recalled I helped him build an 8' metal stand which held his lathe, a scroll saw and a grinder which was actually an old washing machine motor. BTW my Mother had given him the lathe in 1933.

FLASH forward to 1984 at age 40! My desire to return to wood working was rekindled. At that point Dad was aged and gladly gave me the lathe which I then refurbished and built a stand for. This isn't a great picture, but you can see it in the background behind my table saw. 

I too love turning and I too need to get back to it!
  • RRP
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    And people wonder why kids can't even put together boxed furniture anymore!
    LOL - no kidding! BTW I know an egger who is a master turner...he has never posted here but let me see if I can drag him into this conversation! LOL!
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    That is super cool Ron! My dad unfortunately wasn't very good with his hands. He could put a rig in hole nobody else could though! I was very fortunate to learn how to drive from him. That is so cool that you get to turn on his lathe! I get to shoot my dads guns :-). I need to find a local turning group that I could spend some time with. It's a bonus these days that you can find so much on the Internet but I would love to spend a day or two with someone who has been around the block a time or two. I didn't realize they pulled shop out of our schools! My girls like to work with their hands and my oldest has spent some time doing projects with me. I was hoping she would be able to take a shop class when she reached that grade but I guess that won't happen. I promised them both doll houses for their American girl dolls once the shop was back up and running and plan to have them help with the build. I'm really trying to make sure my girls have an idea of what it takes to have work done around the house and on automobiles so they aren't taken advantage of later in life.
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
     I have a Shopsmith that turns into a lathe as well as other things. I do enjoy woodworking but I haven't had time in a while to use it. 
      I think that I'll have to get back into it. 

Your space is too clean. Are you sure you use it that much. If so who is your cleaning Lady? Or I should say cleaning person just to be politically correct?
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    leo123 said:
     I have a Shopsmith that turns into a lathe as well as other things. I do enjoy woodworking but I haven't had time in a while to use it. 
      I think that I'll have to get back into it. 

Your space is too clean. Are you sure you use it that much. If so who is your cleaning Lady? Or I should say cleaning person just to be politically correct?
    @leo123 I assume you are talking to me...actually I took that picture along with a whole series to make a PhotoBucket slide show giving a 360 degree view of my shop. for that purpose, yes I had spent a couple days cleaning it! Trust me it seldom stays swept up, but my dust collector tied to my stationary tools helps to keep the dust down. You can even see the PCV pipe behind my lathe that does a pretty good job on keeping that mess down. BTW that white pegboard to the left are antiques.
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
      I am envious of a clean shop.
      This year I am going to get back into woodworking. But I first have too clean up my shop.
      If I sent you a pic it would be banned.

I'm from Canada and purchased a Rutland from you a year or so ago. Still working great. Thank you again for being a supplier and shipper. I also enjoy reading your posts.