Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Gave Away Kitchenaid Mixers For Gifts This Year

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    @Durangler‌ Just noticed your other post. I'm probably working on your exact same mixer! I'm doing one of our close friends mixer that was her Grandmas
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @WeberWho. Thanks for the gasket info.
    I have a couple pics I'd like to post. The beauty band, the sticker, some cast & stamped numbers inside the rear housing cap & for @jlsm the smashed feet. imageimageimageimageimage
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @Durangler, is that off-white? It looks like the exact mixer I have. Mine has been dated fairly reliably to '82 or '83. The feet looked the same, too; mine just wouldn't stick to the counter and the mixer would "walk" even when doing light duty.  I was going to replace them until I priced them: $5 each! I used some 120 grit wrapped around a flat object and sanded them just enough to get rid of the shiny surface. Work perfect now. (This is assuming that the feet still stick a bit beyond the base.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @jlsm, They are barely beyond the base & are pretty hard. I'll give the sandpaper a try & if that doesn't work I can resort to something else. I've found two different types from Goodmans. $2.49 ea & $2.99 ea. 

Oh!! Yes it's an off white color.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @WeberWho I think you could have a side business of repairing these for people. I never knew so many people had a need for these things to be repaired. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @Durangler‌ I forgot the pic in my post. My bad
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options

@WeberWho? My 1987ish Kitchenaid started making a bit of noise a couple years ago.  I had been wanting a KA with a bigger bowl anyway so I snagged a KA Pro 6 model on sale.  Of course I held on to the original.  Do you suppose my original would benefit from a re-greasing?  Or, maybe I was just making up the increased noise level to justify the purchase of the new model.  ;)

@jlsm - You go, girl!  IEH

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ I think most people think they don't need maintaining for how little they use them. It's completely opposite. The less you use them the better the chance the grease turns into liquid. People see something leaking and their mind automatically thinks, "it must be broken - junk" So maybe I can save a mixer or two and $300+ for someone. Making a little extra cash on them might be nice. I bought a couple year old black Kitchenaid mixer a few weeks ago for $50 off Craigslist. I figured I would re-grease it and flip it for a profit. I feel bad after I bought it. When buying it from the gentleman he said he must have had 30+ calls on it and even had a person offer him $110 for it. He said no to the offer and held the mixer for me. So I can't get myself to sell it. Just feels wrong at this point.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    itsmce said:

@WeberWho? My 1987ish Kitchenaid started making a bit of noise a couple years ago.  I had been wanting a KA with a bigger bowl anyway so I snagged a KA Pro 6 model on sale.  Of course I held on to the original.  Do you suppose my original would benefit from a re-greasing?  Or, maybe I was just making up the increased noise level to justify the purchase of the new model.  ;)

@jlsm - You go, girl!  IEH

Does it sound like a motor noise or gear noise? Is the mixer a Hobart Kitchenaid? The Hobart Kitchenaid motor seems to run much quieter than the newer Whirlpool motors. I'm guessing the noise is probably the gears not getting enough lubrication if the mixer has never been re-greased. If you decide to re-grease it take a look at the gears to see if they have any damage. Replacement gear parts are cheap if you do find any damage. Might be a nice 2nd mixer if it just needs some new grease

Minnesota
  • jlsm
    Options
    @WeberWho? I've hit a snag from the get-go. My plug looks nothing like the plug in the video and I can't seem to take it out. You know how to handle? Here's a pic:
    I have since broken that little loop, naturally. I can spin it around in there but I can't ease it out.
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2015
    Options

@jlsm‌
    I HATE THOSE CLIPS!!!! I finished up my friends wifes Kitchenaid/Hobart mixer who had that exact same clip. I've only done one other prior to that one. I have patience of a mad man and that clip is relentless! My wife got sick of me swearing at the dang thing. She figured it out enough to get it out. She said that she took a flashlight and pointed it up where you could see the metal housing and the clip. She then rotated the clip until she couldn't see any more light coming around the clip and housing. She then pulled down with a needle nose to free it. It's one of the worst designs I've ever seen. Don't worry about the broken clip. My friends clip looks ruthless after digging that thing out. I absolutely hate that clip. It makes everything else seem rediculously easy.

Minnesota
  • jlsm
    Options
    @WeberWho? Thanks. I think I'm giving up. Can't get that pin out, either. Put some WD40 on it but don't think I'm going to budge it. Very disappointed.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @jlsm Have you tried punching the pin from the other side? Sometimes it moves easier one way than the other

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @jlsm ... those are strain relief clips.  The secret is to not try and take it out through the slot that shows in the picture.  It comes straight out through the bottom of the hole.  If you look at your picture it looks like the "C" shaped piece is on the right side and the smaller rectangular piece is on the left.  This is what it looks like when not installed:
    Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch the small piece into the C-shaped piece - inside the mixer - while you are pulling down on the cord.  You might have to wiggle the cord back and forth a little.

Don't worry about the small strap holding the two pieces together ... that's there to keep the two pieces tied together during manufacturing/assembly.

Good luck.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jlsm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @WeberWho? and @Jeepster47, total success. Very pleased with myself. I had to really whale on the pin to get it out and it took the same amount of effort to get it back in. All and all, just one small scratch, back near the cord. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

• WeberWho
    Options
    jlsm said:

@WeberWho? and @Jeepster47, total success. Very pleased with myself. I had to really whale on the pin to get it out and it took the same amount of effort to get it back in. All and all, just one small scratch, back near the cord. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

@jlsm‌ AWESOME!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear you didn't throw in the towel. I felt bad after reading your post above. I was hoping you didn't get into something that you would end up regretting. The plantary pin can be a pain in the arse. Especially if it's been stuck in one position for 30+ years. Looks like you nailed it out of the park! Your mixer can't thank you enough. Your picture above looks like the old grease has dried up and not doing very much. I'm guessing the mixer will run much quieter now and you will get that nice sound of grease at it's finest. You might have gave that mixer another 30+ years of life for a few hours worth of work. Very cool!!!!

Minnesota
  • jlsm
    Options
    @WeberWho?‌ Thanks to you. So easy after the initial roadblocks. And it was less than two hours. I'm now looking for old cheap mixers on Craigslist for friends. You are great. Thanks again. This was so satisfying. Love connections like these.
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jlsm said:

@WeberWho?‌ Thanks to you. So easy after the initial roadblocks. And it was less than two hours. I'm now looking for old cheap mixers on Craigslist for friends. You are great. Thanks again. This was so satisfying. Love connections like these.

@jlsm
    Your MIL and husband are super proud without doubt! I totally understand the satisfying aspect of it once finished. Makes you want to go find another one and do it all over again! Sometimes they turn into Christmas presents! ;)

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I took apart my Pro 600 (575 watt) and I have a gear almost worn out. I did some searching and I found some new for $7.00. It looks like KitchenAid added a plating from the photos of the gear and it has a new part number. When my new gear comes in, I'll do a hardness test on the old and new gear and see if they increased the hardness or just a plating added.
    Below are a few photos of how it looks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bigguy136
    Options

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

And here is what I make every weekend. I use my mixer a lot but I bought the heavy duty. Maybe I need to look for another brand?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• jlsm
    Options
    Wow @bigguy136, you really broke that sucker down. Let us know the results.
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    Fyi we have a pro model that is 5qt and it has nylon gears so not all the pros are all metal.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @bigguy136‌ Nice break down and clean out! I hope the replacement part keeps your mixer going strong. How old is your kitchenaid mixer? I'm surprised the part needs replacing. Obviously a Kitchenaid mixer isn't meant for comercial use but a weekend batch of dough shouldn't hurt anything. Especially with you having the Pro Version. Definitely will be interesting comparing the hardness between the two parts

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @ummgood‌ Thanks for the information. How old is your mixer?

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @bigguy136‌How old is your kitchenaid mixer? I'm surprised the part needs replacing. Obviously a Kitchenaid mixer isn't meant for comercial use but a weekend batch of dough shouldn't hurt anything. Especially with you having the Pro Version.
    I bought it new a year and a half ago and use it in the winter months. I have 5 months on it from the 1st year and 3 months this year. Not real impressed yet.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @ummgood‌ Thanks for the information. How old is your mixer?

I bought it refurbished in 2002. If you search for RRK5AGR it will come up on Amazon.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • bigguy136
    Options

I got my new gear has there is hope. The original gear measured 21 HRC and the new gear measured 30 HRC. I'll be making some cinnamon rolls in the morning and will see how it sounds. I also put in a 70% moly based grease for added protection.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• WeberWho
    Options
    @bigguy136‌ Good to hear the new gear is a heavier steel. Hope all goes well with the cinnamon rolls

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Hopefully everything holds up as I used a good grease and the new part number gear. I'll take it apart in the spring and see if there is any wear. If it looks like it's not going to hold up, I'll hardness test the worm gear and make a new ring gear a few point softer. It would be nice if a $6 gear will fix it otherwise I'll have about $50 and 3-4 hours into a new one.

Big Lake, Minnesota