Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help-PP

RAK
RAK Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys, I'm trying my second butt. Had it rubbed down for 2 days in the fridge. Cleaned out the Egg, stacked fresh charcoal, got a small fire going. Added more coal. Put in Butt on rack over pan. Everything ok up until now. Temp got to 150, so started closing it down. Got the bottom vent to a slit, closed the daisy to a slit. Thought everything was going ok. Checked in 15 minutes, and temp was 300. It climbed to 325, but has settled at around 300. I've closed everything as much as I dare. What now? Do I wait until it drops on it's own? Is there any way to help it along? I'm afraid if I open it, it will just feed it more oxygen and make it hotter. How long should it take to drop on it's own? If I leave it for the night, will it drop and die out? Quick, somone tell me what to do! Will it turn out ok even though it is too hot? Rak

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Rak,[p]I'm not sure why it got so hot, but all is not lost. Close the lower vent and daisy all the way and let it drop to 200 - it shouldn't take that long. Then barely crack the daisy and lower vent. You might have to babysit for a bit to make sure it doesn't zoom up again. If you have to, close the lower vent completely and leave the daisy barely open. The Egg is leaky enough to let in enough air to keep your fire going.[p]A few spikes or dips don't matter. Pulled pork is very forgiving, and those peaks and valleys average out over a long cook. [p]Hang in there, it will be fine.[p]Cathy

• RAK
    RAK Posts: 27
    Cat,
    Thanks. Glad someone is still awake:-) Rak

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Rak,[p]Hope you get some sleep! And happy PP tomorrow.[p]Cathy