Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Opinions

Options

I have the opportunity to get a new Le Creuset DO 7.25 round for $255. I really wanted the wide 6.75 but cannot find it for less than $255. Any opinions on getting the 7.25 for a large egg over the 6.75 wide? 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are going to use it on your egg, I would recommend getting a Lodge instead. They are considerably cheaper and are about as heavy duty as you can ask for. Just a thought my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What SGH Said!!!  My 8 qt Lodge Porcelain fits perfectly fine in my Large Egg!!
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    My 5 qt. Lodge works great!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Sistm
    Sistm Posts: 53
    Options
    Good point. Much better price point on the Lodge. We are all talking about enameled correct?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sistm said:
    Good point. Much better price point on the Lodge. We are all talking about enameled correct?
    No. For outdoor use I do not use enameled. Just solid black iron. Now for indoor use, enameled is very nice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dude...hit TJMaxx. ..70% less.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd go for the round. 1/2 quart more volume... I use my LC on the egg. Just a little elbow grease to clean it.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Hit the antique shops and flea markets. If you are going to use it on your egg straight cast iron will be your friend. If you are a little anal and buy enameled and try to keep it looking clean, you will go insane.
  • Sistm
    Options
    I think my wife prefers the Dutch oven on the egg!
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The lodge CI enameled braiser is my all-time favorite pan for my kamado. Highly recommend it. Cooks like a dream, Here as some shots of it in action
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    You can also get one from the wholesale clubs if you keep an eye open.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    I have a 7.25 and a 13 qt oval....i use them both on the egg frequently and wouldn't trade them for a lodge again...unless i couldn't swing the price. Something was said on here about acidity over time on the CI with chili and such is bad for the lodge and btw my LeCreu cleans up with soap and water pretty easy. 

Beaufort, SC
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Lodge. At Walmart on line. Wife found them at the best price.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I use a lodge pro black cast 7 qt. ...you will love it

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I'd go for the round. 1/2 quart more volume... I use my LC on the egg. Just a little elbow grease to clean it.

Volume? How about the L.C 14 qt oval. Hard enough getting it from the stove top to ovenimage
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    That one stays in my basement stove
  • Sistm
    Options
    @keepervodeflame‌ what size egg and DO is that?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nothing against the lecruset, but I bought the Mario batali ones from Crate and Barrel you could get two, maybe three for that money. As stated earlier, Lodge also makes the enamel stuff at a good price. Either way I think the enameled cast is awesome. I think I have four or five pieces.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sistm, 

It is a large egg, with one of the shots taken on my old Vision (18" grill grate) The Lodge pan is called a braiser, I believe it is 3  qts. (there are two sizes, one a bit more shallow than the other, thats the one I have) It comes with a lid. I picked it up on sale at true value for 60 and change. Best pan I own. I have cooked and still cook with straight non enameled CI. This enameled pan is much better IMO. It gets smoke patina and steaks from using it on the kamado. But I don't really care as I only use it on the kamado and  could care less what the outside finish looks like. I only clean the inside of the pan and simply wash and wipe off the outside finish. Here are some pics after about 2 years of constant use. This is a more than adequate pan for kamado cooking, I would never spend the money for a LC or Staub just to use on the kamado. I have some LC that the wife uses in the kitchen. Performance is equal IMO. Best of luck in your search. 
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Check Costco. Much cheaper. They even have a Kirkland brand. But I agree that lodge is the way to go
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Nothing against the lecruset, but I bought the Mario batali ones from Crate and Barrel you could get two, maybe three for that money. As stated earlier, Lodge also makes the enamel stuff at a good price. Either way I think the enameled cast is awesome. I think I have four or five pieces.

Handmade in France vs. assembly line in China.

Either way, Costco offers a nice DO. It is KS-branded and now made in France. It's apparently made by Staub which you can't beat for 70 or 80 bucks for a first line product.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Handmade in France vs. assembly line in China.

Either way, Costco offers a nice DO. It is KS-branded and now made in France. It's apparently made by Staub which you can't beat for 70 or 80 bucks for a first line product.
    I hear you. FWIW, the Batali stuff kiss made by DANSK. I dont know where they're actually made. I use them inside and out without issue. They clean right up. Like others have said, lots of options now, unlike years ago when you had few choices.