Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ Adapter Mod

Options
Couldn't decide on a title.  "Am I really OCD" and "A solution looking for a problem" seemed to fit also.

The adapter for the DigiQ is flat and the intake vent is curved, so it's a hassle getting the two to mated up.  Lots of pushing and shoving. I have my large egg in a nest, so can't slide the adapter in from the side with the long side vertical ... I have to use the steel clip.  @TheShaytoon showed how he gently bent his to fit, but the folded steel clip is extremely stiff and doesn't lend itself easily to being bent.  Decided to do a little experimenting and here is the result:

I measured the diameter of my large egg at the lower vent and came up with 16 inches as a compromise between the diameter at the top and bottom of the vent.  Then, knowing that metals spring back a little after being bent, the diameter was reduced to 75% of the actual diameter ... simple WAG.  Cut a small rectangle of wood, drew a 12 inch diameter curve on it, and cut the curve out on the band saw.  Here's the fixture shown with the adapter already shaped:

Here is how the fixture was positioned on the adapter ... it was positioned like this, placed in a vise, and clamped tight.  Applied to both the top and the bottom of the adapter plate:

Here's a quick picture of the result on a tablet to show how much and how smoothly the adapter is curved:

You'll notice that the steel clip is also curved, so that now it'll slide easily back-and-forth across the top of the adapter.  The adapter now slips easily into the lower vent and the air seal looks to be a little better..

I only have the one egg, so no problems with modifying the adapter (they're only $25) to fit.  YMMV.  Also, if I had to do it again, I'd measure the diameter at the bottom of the vent and make the fixture based on that dimension ... the steel clip has more spring back than the stainless.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dang.  I just pushed mine up against the frame of the egg and got the same results, except I still have the spring back like you said.  You are way better than me!
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Jeepster47   Does your adapter not fit in the vertical position? No clip required.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Sammi ... with the egg in a nest, the leg of the nest interferes with inserting the adapter in the vertical position.  Not a problem with table installed eggs.

In the back of my mind, I remember an old post where someone complained about having to remove the egg from it's nest to install the adapter.  My assumption is that the sliding clip was developed for nested eggs. Yes/no?

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have always wondered why that was such a screw up.  I just assumed it was a universal issue, but all along it was the nest that created the problem.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Jerald said:
    Dang.  I just pushed mine up against the frame of the egg and got the same results, except I still have the spring back like you said.  You are way better than me!
    Find something that's approximately 75% of the diameter of your egg ... telephone pole, light pole, etc ... and use your approach.  Should work and not be as futzy as what I did.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine fit fine out of the box. Large with nest.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skellis614
    Options
    Better than me, too!
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    #-o

Mine was fine out the box...nice work though.
    Seattle, WA