Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Top to BGE - Oh My God

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today, Disaster struck in Missouri. We were cooking steaks at 1000+ degrees on the BGE. My buddy, who has not been instructed in the finer points of BGE cookery, attempted to close the top without pushing down on the lever. In slow-motion, the lid to the egg went out of the bracket and crashed on the pavement. Has anyone had this happen? What is the approximate cost to replace?[p]Thanks,
Smoov-E-Luvman

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman, Call BGE at 1-800-939-EGGS, and they will tell you what a new top will cost you. Sorry to hear about your "accident". Yours was worse than the few that reported the same incident. "Never" allow anyone not in training to mess with your cooker. My sweet sister-in-law (bless her little investigative hands) did the same thing..I had to replace only the bands. You will have both to replace if they are bent. Things could be better in Missouri!!
    Cheers..Char-Woody[p]

• SLOPPY PIG
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman,Don't feel badthis has happened to mw twice.the second time was at the Memphis in May BBQ Championship.The tops can be replaced.I don't know the price because the culprit in both cases purcahsed new ones and I was not about to ask what it set them back.You will probably need to replace the band as well.If is bend you will loose your seal.THE LESSON TO BE LEARNED "DON'T LET PEOPLE SCREW WITH YOUR EGGS".