Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best price for Maverick?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
I think my Maverick ET-73 is giving up.  Last time I used it, I overshot the internal temp of my rack of pork by 20 degrees.  It was still moist, but I think I may need a new wireless thermometer.  No, I haven't done the boiling water test yet to prove my theory, but I will before making this purchase.  This seems like a good deal.  Anywhere else to look for one?  Oh, and Happy Friday!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1VTPI/?tag=amazi0a8-20&link_code=as3&creative=373489&camp=211189

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'm not sure when it is coming out, but you may want to wait for the new ET-735 which can accept up to 4 probes and they are a new waterproof design.   Since my dog ate my last one (chewed on the probes, they still work but the wires are exposed) I think I''ll see if the 735 works as advertised.

My only concern is I don't think the bluetooth range will be able to match the RF range of the 732 which can pick up the signal from just about anywhere in my house or yard. I knew with my phones bluetooth headsed I can't get more than 20' away from my phone...maybe the data connection will be longer, though as it only has to squeak a small packet through every once in a while.

Pre-Order link

other forum discussion on the topic
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I'm not sure when it is coming out, but you may want to wait for the new ET-735 which can accept up to 4 probes and they are a new waterproof design.   Since my dog ate my last one (chewed on the probes, they still work but the wires are exposed) I think I''ll see if the 735 works as advertised.

My only concern is I don't think the bluetooth range will be able to match the RF range of the 732 which can pick up the signal from just about anywhere in my house or yard. I knew with my phones bluetooth headsed I can't get more than 20' away from my phone...maybe the data connection will be longer, though as it only has to squeak a small packet through every once in a while.

Pre-Order link

other forum discussion on the topic
    Maybe if we're lucky those probes will also work in the 732/733. Bluetooth range is just too limiting for me. I also prefer a dedicated receiver I can watch while prepping other stuff, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I already had an iGrill but they had a Maverick like the one above on Amazon lightning deals before Christmas for $45.  I bought one for my father-in-law so he stops over or undercooking food when I am there hahaha.  Perhaps they'll have them on sale again.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So the 733 is better still than the 732, cause it can take higher heat, but the 735 is coming soon.  And since it's bluetooth, it has a shorter range than the 300" RF range of the 732 and 733.
    http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI

Member since 2009
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @500 ... I've got both the 732 and the 733 units.  The manuals for both units contain the same statement:

The Barbecue Thermometer registers temperatures as ... high as 572 ºF ... HHH will be displayed above 572 ºF.  Do not use the stainless probe sensor above 572 ºF.  Doing so will deteriorate the wire.

Maverick, on their website, says that the 732 probes are heat resistant to 712 degrees ... their outdated website doesn't even list the 733.  However, Amazon lists both units as having probes heat resistant to 712 degrees.

The 733 does have more features than the 732, but I'm not seeing any temp difference in the probes.  BTW, the probes are interchangeable between the two units.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Good to know you have both Jeepster47.  At the time I bought my 732, I think I was seeing worse reviews for the 733 so I just bought the 732 and have been happy. It was also available for a cheaper price.

So, in your mind they both work well.  No reason to get one vs. the other?  (the features I saw mentioned seem minor as I'd always use one for grill temp I don't need a "hybrid" probe)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @KiterTodd ... I've used the 732 exclusively.  I bought the 733 over Christmas 'cuz they were on sale for $55 ... couldn't pass it up as a back-up at that price.  My first impression is that I like the simplicity of the 732 and the straight probes that come with the 733.

Let's get @Ozzie_Isaac to comment.  He used my 732 for quite awhile until he acquired his 733.

Todd ... please check your messages.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Options
    These comments are helpful in me making a decision.  I like the smoker probe.  Looks like the 733 probes are both for meat, but I guess that's what the "hybrid" means.
    Member since 2009
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    500 said:
    These comments are helpful in me making a decision.  I like the smoker probe.  Looks like the 733 probes are both for meat, but I guess that's what the "hybrid" means.
    Nope, both of the 733 probes can be used for either. 2 grid clips are included so both can be either smoker probes or meat probes. You can set the receiver on what you want to alarm on, high temp only (meat), or both low and high temp (pit). These settings are independent per channel. I have both and if I had to pick only one it would be 733.  
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The difference between the 733 and 732, other than the better universal probes on the 733, is the 732 has a timer - count down or count up. Nice if you need to be reminded to check your cook, or in my case to ensure I do not leave my electric starter in the egg because I walked away chasing some shiny object. 
    The 733 has food selection menus with rare/med/well type selections, it does make it easier to set once you get onto it. Setting temps on the 733 is much like the old 72/73 series. 

For $10 more (unless you need the claws as noted above by @Conman64) I'd get the 733.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have used both the 733 and 732 for about a year.

They both function essentially the same. I prefer the size of the receiver on the 732. Its display is simpler. I like the 733 being able to adjust temp up and down instead of only being able to go up until you go all the way back to the min temp.

I like the short 732 grill probe, but I like the hybrid probes on the 733 too. This is a toss up for me.

The range on my 733 was much better than the 732. They both say 300ft but neither hit that mark. Ultimately range was the most important factor for me so I choose the 733. If range was not an issue the 732 would be great.

Here is a summary of a range test I did:

My measured range: ET-733 was 85 yards, ET-732 was 57 yards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My process
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ET-732 box says "Monitor Barbecue up to 300 ft away"

ET-733 box says "Large 300 Ft Range"

Both transmitters look identical and both are marked as 300 ft devices, but on the forums I have read that the ET-733 has a greater range. I decided to test it.

I setup both transmitters on the same table then walked away until both units were out of range. I slowly walked back until they began to receive updates.

ET - 733 started updating when I was 255 ft away.

ET - 732 started updating when I was 171 ft away.

I was in line of site of both transmitters.

As an anecdote the 732 loses signal in my house much sooner than the 733 does. Luckily the 733 works in my bedroom so I can start something late/early and go back to bed. I tried the 732 but turns out the beeping is really annoying at 4:30a.m. when there is only an intermittant range problem.

Both are market as 300 ft range (I could not achieve that on either), but the 733 (in my case) had significantly better range.

The ET-733 had the factory batteries in the transmitter and receiver, the ET-732 had Rayovacs which have been recently replaced.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • KiterTodd
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have used both the 733 and 732 for about a year. They both function essentially the same. I prefer the size of the receiver on the 732. Its display is simpler. I like the 733 being able to adjust temp up and down instead of only being able to go up until you go all the way back to the min temp....
    Ozzie, thank you for the detailed comparison.
    While the range is a big one for me, I think that stupid one way temperature scrolling is reason enough to get the 733!!  Man that is annoying.

However, as stated, my grill gets pretty crowded and I have appreciated the bend of the meat probe and the shortness of the grate probe with the 732.  My dog has no preference and likes chewing on both probes. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I sent an email to Maverick last week asking about availability and the range of the bluetooth on the new unit (735) and this is their reply;

The ET-735 will be available in early March on Amazon.com.
    The range is 175 feet from the unit to your phone, so you should be good!

So if it works as advertised, and I know it rarely does.  The range would match what Ozzie_Isaac measured above for the 732.   Maybe we'd see 100 feet.  Which isn't awful but clearly not up there with 733.
    LBGE/Maryland
    Options
    Well after testing all of my therms in boiling water (Tel-Tru Egg dome therm, Thermapen, ET-72, and ET-73) I found them all to dead accurate.  I think I will wait for the reviews on the 735, and see what the price point will be, before pulling the trigger on a new one.  Great exercise, and theory on this.  Appreciate the help.
    Member since 2009