Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best and Most affordable way to light BGE- problem keeping the BGE about 600ish

I had a hard time getting the BGE fulling ignited the other night. The retailer I purchased the BGE from gave me several starters blocks. Using the BGE brand charcoal I was able to get it roaring with three. Using the 100% "all natural" lump wood charcoal from Publix though it took more like 6 or so. I am wondering if there is a cheap and effective way of getting my BGE lit. I am also wondering if my difficulty in lighting was due to lesser quality of charcoal in the public brand vs. the BGE brand.

I have the BGE XL, and I also had trouble getting the temp past 500. I filled the fire box to right below the air holes, and tried to cook pizza. Pizza turned out pretty good, but I had seen on all of the recipes that you want to keep the temp above 600 and closer to 650. I had all of the vents all of the way open, and to no avail. Any tips on how I can maintain a higher temperature for longer? am I using too much or too little charcoal?

Thanks for helping me with both of my questions. I am a newcomer here!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    You're opening a big can o worms here :D

there are all kinds of ways to light, I personally use a MAPP torch. 2. Lump can make a difference. Don't know who make public brand, but BGE is royal oak in a fancy dress. You can fill it up to the top of the fire ring no problem, I always fill it up no matter the cook. If direct I cook raised 9 out of 10 so flare ups aren't a big issue.

it sounds like you weren't getting airflow. Did you stir/clean before you lit for your pizza?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You should be able to use one starter cube, maybe two if you are in a hurry. Fill the lump up to the fire ring, above the air holes. If you have it wide open it should get to about 1000. You may have a bunch of ash built up below or between the firebox and the walls of the egg. That being said, the electric starter or a looft may be the ticket for you.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Only to the air holes? Pizza dough has different cooking methods. Just cuz one pizza cooks well at 600 doesn't mean another will cook at 600. Most of my pizzas are done 450-500. If i tried at higher temps it would burn. Know your dough. As for lighting I use chimney.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tbramse
    tbramse Posts: 31
    Yeah. I stirred pretty well I thought. Might have still had some moist ash. Wet day the day before. Everything was all closed up but moisture might have still gotten in. Didn't realize I could fill it up past the holes on the firebox. Maybe I just didn't put enough charcoal in??
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have tried many different ways to light my lump. I used to use the starter blocks. I then used a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. Then I started trying rubbing alcohol poured directly on the lump. 

I now use a heat gun. I like this method because I can have a roaring fire in just minutes. I prefer Rockwood over BGE lump. I am not a patient man. I want my lump lit and ready to cook on quickly. 

I recently changed over to a High-Que grate and wow what a difference. My eggs get to temp very fast now. 

Make sure you have enough lump in the egg and your air holes are unobstructed. You will get it figured out. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    If I'm doing low and slow, I have to rearrange lump to get the plate setter in. Filler up!

@johnkitchens‌ the high-que made a big difference in the large? That's my wife's biggest complaint. She's not patient during the week.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Your charcoal does not have to be ashed over like Kingsford on a weber. You are looking for the desired temp as well as a pleasant smell. Regardless of how much lump appears to be burning. If the smoke still smells acrid when you put the food on, the food will taste that way as well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've been using a MAPP torch and it's affordable and efficient at lighting it up. Plus I use the torch for other things around the house and at work. I already had it so once I ran out of the starter blocks that came with the LBGE welcome package I started using the torch.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've tried all kinds of solutions to this problem. For my money the best and least expensive way to light the BGE is with 1 or 2 paper towels wadded up and splattered with whatever cooking oil you have close at hand.

Here's what I do w/ my XL:

Stir around any unburned lump from the last cook. Top up the fire box with new lump (and by top up I mean all the way to the grid). Make a gap in the lump right in the front of the Egg, not a big one, but big enough to see one fully unblocked air hole at he bottom of the fire box. Take two full paper towels and roll them somewhat loosely in a cylinder. Tear that cylinder into three pieces and put them into a triangle shape around the lump (two on the sides and one in the back). Dump on some cooking oil to about half of each piece then light them with a match. Open the lower door all the way and leave the egg open for the first 5-7 minutes of the burn. After a few minutes close the lid and remove the ceramic top or DFMT. Another few minutes should get a good set of coals going and probably have dome temp to 250 or so. From here just dial in the door and the DFMT and you're good to go. If you want to push to high temp for pizza try about 2.5" on the door and DFMT all the way open (not just the daisy wheel, the whole top).

Don't worry, you'll get it.

The only other option I ever really liked was a chimney starter, but in the end I think this method is easier.

Cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • johnkitchens
    @theyolksonyou it made a huge difference in mine. The other night I was going to cook hamburgers on one and chicken on the other. I lit them and lowered the lid and they were both around 200 and starting to rise. I walked in the house to get the meat and came right back out.

I was gone less than a minute and they were both almost at 700! That never would have happened before

I highly recommend them. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2015
    The method of lighting has no bearing on how hot the XL BGE will get. It should easily reach 500. Airflow and to a lesser extent, time and the type of lump do matter. As others have mentioned fill the lump up to the top of the fire ring. You need plenty of fuel. The higher temps use a lot of lump especially in the XL. Be sure your lump is dry and ther aren't too many tiny pieces blocking the airflow. Also, I'd try cleaning out the fire bowl before your start to ensure there is good airflow. No matter how you start it you should be able to hit 750 in 30 minutes with BGE lump. If you wait longer you can go higher. BTW lighting is personal preference- I now use a MAPP torch, but I've used most of the others at one point or the other as well. Just not the looflighter or the weed torch. Each has its pluses and minuses.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnkitchens
    jhl192 said:
    The method of lighting has no bearing on how hot the XL BGE will get.  
    I agree. We were just answering his question concerning "a cheap and effective way of getting my BGE lit." 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @theyolksonyou and @johnkitchens ... I installed a Kick Ash Basket right after Christmas and found that it helps the airflow also.  The egg does fire up faster, but it also helps greatly during low and slows ... temps more steady than with OEM grate.

John, do you find that same result with the High-Que?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnkitchens
    @Jeepster47. I do find that to be true with the High-Que. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    @johnkitchens ... thanks for the feedback.  That was an unexpected, but pleasant benefit of the Kick Ash Basket.

@tbramse ... I like the electric starter ... I have the BGE starter, but will replace it with a $10 one when it dies.  Takes five minutes to lite the center of the lump.  Another five minutes with the top open to expand the fire and it's time to close the lid and start working towards cooking temp.

When it's raining (seems foolish to stand in the rain holding a drop cord) I use MAPP.  I like the speed of MAPP, but not the sparks.  Sparks in time lapse pictures are surreal, but the holes in my jacket don't look that good.

I have an unopened box of starter cubes ... will try them someday,

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    @johnkitchens‌ @Jeepster47‌ and once again the forum thins my wallet, now, where to spend the $$? Guess I have some research to do...
  • johnkitchens
    Tell me about it Jason!

• 1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited January 2015
    tbramse said:
    I had a hard time getting the BGE fulling ignited the other night. The retailer I purchased the BGE from gave me several starters blocks. Using the BGE brand charcoal I was able to get it roaring with three. Using the 100% "all natural" lump wood charcoal from Publix though it took more like 6 or so. I am wondering if there is a cheap and effective way of getting my BGE lit. I am also wondering if my difficulty in lighting was due to lesser quality of charcoal in the public brand vs. the BGE brand.

I have the BGE XL, and I also had trouble getting the temp past 500. I filled the fire box to right below the air holes, and tried to cook pizza. Pizza turned out pretty good, but I had seen on all of the recipes that you want to keep the temp above 600 and closer to 650. I had all of the vents all of the way open, and to no avail. Any tips on how I can maintain a higher temperature for longer? am I using too much or too little charcoal?

Thanks for helping me with both of my questions. I am a newcomer here!
    No matter the temp of my cook, I always fill my Egg to the top of the fire box which is quite a bit more charcoal above the holes than below the holes due to the taper shape.  Temp control is established by air flow control, not fuel control.  Propane you adjust the fuel, BGE you adjust the air flow (aka controlling the oxygen to control the rate of burn).  Me thinks you may be not using enough charcoal if full open won't get you to your desired temp.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Rubbing alcohol is all I use, just be sure it's 91%, not the standard 70%. Also get or make yourself a wiggle rod to be sure the bottom holes are not blocked by ash or small pieces of lump.
  • I also think it has to do with the amount of charcoal. I always stir the old charcoal real well to make sure the ash has fallen to the bottom. I then glance to make sure the air holes in the fire box are not plugged with small pieces of charcoal and fill it up to the top of the fire box or bottom of the fire ring. If I am planning a low & slow cook or plan on searing steaks at 1000 degrees I fill the charcoal up to about half away up the fire ring. Allows for longer cooks or closer to the heat for a sear.

I have always lit my egg with a fire starter stick right in the middle somewhat buried down in the lump or 3 half pieces of fire starter sticks in 3 spots if I am in a hurry. I did watch guys using LooftLighters at the OKC Eggfest and have since added one of them to my wishlist. Looflighter was fast and also several guys were lighting the charcoal in 2 or 3 spots with it and were up to 500 degrees very quickly.

Good luck with your egging and you will get it down in no time.

Kenny

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you need to fill it with more lump for high temp pizza cook. i like to soak the napkins in oil for a few days before lighting, pretty simple to make a years supply of starter

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

"Make a gap in the lump right in the front of the Egg, not a big one, but big enough to see one fully unblocked air hole at he bottom of the fire box."

This is the key to 1) high temps and 2) sleeping well during an overnight low and slow. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    @theyolksonyou‌ let us know what you decide. I'm looking for the same, as my wife gets antsy during the week as well. Doesn't help that I usually don't get home from work before 630.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    If you do continue to use the starter cubes, cut them in half or in thirds.  I do thirds when I use them. I place them in a triangle about 3" - 4" apart and that normally gets a good fire going in 5 minutes.  Then close the lid (DW off and door wide open) and soon the egg temp starts climbing.

I have used a chimney sitting on the gas grill side burner with good results too. Fill it with new lump, set it on the burner.  Come back in 5 - 10 minutes and the coals are hot and all the VOC's are gone too. I now use the propane torch that @MadcapMagician linked.  I don't think it is the most economical method (oil soaked paper towel gets that award), but 2 minutes of the torch and a lot of coals are lit.  1 minute is all that is needed for a low & slow.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It had nothing to do with your lighting technique. You don't have enough lump. The air holes are there to introduce oxygen into the burning lump not over it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    In my large I have the High Que charcoal grate. In my XL I just installed the Weber 7441 charcoal grate from the 22.5 BBQ it's 17". I read the tip here. The Weber 7441 is 12.99 in Ontario from Home Hardware. It's a fraction of the price of the Xl High Que grate.