Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon Tips? - Looking for simple one temp cook.

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I've made 'em before, but this is the first time on the egg and with the price of beef, I want to try to not overcook them!
It's 15 degrees outside (and I'm lazy) so I will skip the reverse sear, but am not opposed to using cast iron.  Going for a quick simple cook.  Probably will not experiment with caveman this time, but it is on the agenda for the future.

We like steaks on the high side of MR or a perfect medium.  So I think that is 135-140.
Being small cuts of meat, 8-10 ounces each, but thick cut, I was not sure how much temperature rise I'll get after I pull them.  I was thinking of pulling them at 130 and tenting for a bit while I get the rest of the meal plated.

• Direct or raised direct?
  • Approximate cook temp?
  • Cast iron pan or right on my CI grates?

I know it'll turn out fantastic no matter how I roll it (as long as I don't turn it into leather) but figured I'd look for some favorite guidelines. 
Thanks!  :-bd
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• KiterTodd
    Interesting...came across this website with slightly higher cook temps than I saw in other charts.  But there is another chart that shows 5 degree rise from when you pull it until it's done.
    FYI - Grill Times & Temps for Steak.

LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Agree with your target temp - I think the temps on that chart are high.  And if you're wrong on the low side you can throw the meat back on the grill, but you can't uncook a leather steak!

I'd set the grill for direct and a dome temp of 350-400.  Lower end if steak is thicker, like 1.5".  3 minutes, rotate, 3 minutes, flip and take temp, 3 minutes, rotate and take temp.

Be sure to post pics whatever you do!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    Thanks. 

At Fire Ring level?   That's what I'll go with unless anyone shouts otherwise.

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited January 2015
    Alright then, I know this is a pretty basic cook but since you guys provided advice I feel it is only right to follow up with results and FOOD PICS!  :D

Filet was excellent.  I grilled a couple nice ones for the wife and I, some cube steak for the kids, and some potatoes/mushrooms for all.

Came out perfect.  Except for one problem...
    I commented to the wife that I was surprised that I really couldn't taste the charcoal flavor at all.  (on other steaks and salmon cooks, I always get a hint of it).  She said, <gulp> "that's good I'm really tiring of the smoke flavor and wasn't crazy about the Prime Rib you made last week."
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!  I've heard others have heard similar SWMBO comments.  And that prime rib was with RW charcoal, virtually no smoke taste except on the ends or the very outside.   Darn...

Anyway, I know these aren't the best pics, but trust me all was excellent!   The one on the left is a larger filet and was a perfect MR and the one on the right was a bright pink medium.  Perfect for us!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

That looks awesome.  I'd hit it.

I don't have any good advice about the SWMBO smoke flavor issue.  Maybe just keep cooking, but for a while, stick with faster cooks like this one and avoid the slower more smoky ones.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Oh heck yes!  Nice job.  What temp did you pull at?

I had exactly the same problem with my wife.  She got really tired of smoky flavored food. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    I pulled at 130.  Surprisingly (to me) for a small cut of meat there was a lot of variability depending where I poked it...122 to 133ish, all taken in fat center areas.
    I never did measure the temp after it sat, though.

Anyway, I'm stubborn and likely won't back off the smoke, but it may be a good excuse to start experimenting with different woods to see if she likes some more than others.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    blind99 said:

Oh heck yes!  Nice job.  What temp did you pull at?

I had exactly the same problem with my wife.  She got really tired of smoky flavored food. 

Looks pretty nice. You don't need any advice. 

For steaks, SV is the answer, IMO. Temp is perfect and edge to edge finish can be held without overcooking until everything else is ready. Reverse sear is done in CI pan, with a torch or if SWMBO is eating other than steak - over an inferno egg. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Skiddy,

Let us not forget the humble hot tub method either. Just drop bagged or vac sealed steaks in hot tap water under 120* for 40 or so minutes per inch of thickness and do a finish sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757

For steaks, SV is the answer, IMO. Temp is perfect and edge to edge finish can be held without overcooking until everything else is ready. Reverse sear is done in CI pan, with a torch or if SWMBO is eating other than steak - over an inferno egg. 

Awesome advice .. tried a filet with my Anova last week and finished it on a cast iron pan on the gasser .. 
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL