Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how much lump for different cooks

Options
Do you guys use different amounts of lump for specific cooks? Or do you always use the same amount and adjust the flame to the specific cook. Thanks
___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Meat costs more than lump.
    I fill my fire box for each cook and then when I am finished I close the vents to choke the fire.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I fill half way for most cooks and all the way full for long low and slows. The left over lump is never wasted, just used for the next cook.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Good question. For day to day just top up as needed keeping the egg more or less full. If you are cooking something fatty you can put very little lump in to reduce flare ups.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I usually fill to the fire line or slightly below for a quick steak. Full Full Full to slightly above the fire line for low and slow. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Filler up into the fire ring virtually every time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just stir the old and add some more. No idea how much more. If a long lo n slo cook, I mostly fill the fire ring. Otherwise, I just add "some".

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Agree with above low & slows fill it up for quick steaks or 1-2 hour cooks just stir and add more from previous cooks

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"