Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing fire ring for searing?

Options
Had good luck searing steaks with a normal set up and in cast iron pan but was wondering if getting lower is an option. Don't have a spider or anything to get down low near the coals but was was wondering if any one has removed fire ring and put grate right above the box. Stories? Alternatives or homemade contraptions?
Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    You can put that bad boy directly on the coals - caveman style.  So cool.

I think folks do what you are saying.  I have a spider for such shenanigans, and have gone direct on coals also.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a few small diameter grill grates that I can drop inside the fire grate.  They cost around $10.  I would go that route rather than subject the fire ring to breakage.  But yes, you can remove it and drop the factory grate lower.
    Options
    I have thought about doing that as well but haven't tried it.  Another option is if you can find a smaller stainless grid throw it on the coals, or just go caveman right on the coals. 

I have tried caveman and it is fun, but to be honest I get a better sear with CI.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Doesn't BGE sell a smaller height fire ring for searing?

When in doubt, throw $ at the problem
    :D
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Doesn't BGE sell a smaller height fire ring for searing?

When in doubt, throw $ at the problem
    :D
    They did for a short while - but it was only for the large egg. I have one and have only used it once in about 7 years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Buy the spider or a combo with a spider from CGS.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just fill it up with more lump.
    NOLA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Just fill it up with more lump.
    The easy answer, rather than lower the shelf - get a ladder, or put another way, rather than bring the grid to the lump, bring the lump to the grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Personally you can't beat the cast iron, flipping often and basting with butter. Ymmv, IMHO, omg, wtf, BRB, rotflmao...yo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dorfami
    dorfami Posts: 50
    Options
    If you do, use a smaller grate or take it out as soon as finished. I did this but left the grate in and shut down. Next time I looked at the egg, it was cracked with a linear crack that went from the front to almost the back at the height of the grate. Guessing the heat caused the ceramic to expand some which allowed the grate to settle in some, and then on cooling and contraction, something had to give.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    dorfami said:
    If you do, use a smaller grate or take it out as soon as finished. I did this but left the grate in and shut down. Next time I looked at the egg, it was cracked with a linear crack that went from the front to almost the back at the height of the grate. Guessing the heat caused the ceramic to expand some which allowed the grate to settle in some, and then on cooling and contraction, something had to give.

ceramic once fired doesn't expand due to heat anymore, but the metal grate does expand. What happened to you is not uncommon and is due to the very design of the grate with the circular outer circle. With cast iron grates some people have taken a hack saw and cut through. That kerf will eliminate stress by allowing movement during uneven heating and cooling. That make sense?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.