Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering adding a MiniMax

Options
I have owned a XLBGE, and am considering adding a MiniMax.  I find that I don't use the Egg as often as I would like, one key reason being that it takes too long to get ready, and I am often just cooking for two people.  I have read as many posts on the forum as I could find, and have a couple of questions for those who have it.

1) Does the charcoal light faster, and is it ready to cook in less time than a larger size unit?  I have read differing accounts on this.

2) How heavy is the unit?  Can it be lifted by one adult?

3) My counter outside is 39 inches tall, would it be practical to put the MiniMax on top of this to cook?  I am 6' tall.

4) Could a MiniMax fit into a small nest?

5) Can the setup time issue be solved by a lump reducing rig from CGS?

Thanks!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1»»Yes (less ceramic thermal mass)
    2»»Approximately 73# with ceramics, PS and lump
    3»»Yes mine is 36"H and I'm 5'10" which is comfortable
    4»»Why it has its own nest. If you are a welder or have means of fabricating the sky is the limit so...Yes
    5»»Yes, XL lump reducer would help. However, you still have to completely heat the ceramics (huge thermal mass).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Perfect timing.

Prior to buying my Mini Maxx, I would be reluctant to use my XL if time was an issue.  Take tonight for instance.  Came home, wife said she wanted fettuccine alfredo.  I wanted to spice it up a bit with some shrimp, so I fired up the Mini Maxx.  It came up to temp in a matter of minutes, threw some shrimp on, let them cook and they were done as well in a matter of minutes.  Was able to cook on the Egg midweek, even when getting out of the office late.  I was really motivated to do this just to see and prove it to myself.

I'm continually amazed at how quickly the Mini Maxx gets up to temp, and vice versa, how quickly it cools down.  Granted, it's 15 degrees here, but by the end of dinner 30-45 minutes later, the Egg was cool to the touch and could be moved.

I'm getting used to moving the Mini Maxx around as well.  At first I was a bit taken back by the weight.  But now that I know what to expect, I'm lugging it around wherever needed without any problems.

P.S. @NPHuskerFL, just got a FedEx update and my Mini Maxx CGS setup is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  This is a Christmas season that keeps on giving!!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @YEMTrey‌ you're gonna love the WOO! It hasn't come out of mine since I got it. Well built and well thought out.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I still LOVE the Original MINI

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I too have an XL that hardly gets used now that I have a MBGE and now the MM. Really considering selling off the XL.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Dibs on the xl when you sell @r8rs4lf‌
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    We have a mini-max, L & XL. The mini-max has become our daily driver. Do it.
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yes to all, I have one and it compliments the large for the reasons you state. It weighs 70 lbs, I can move it around easily. Get one!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Have had our for a little over a week. 3 cooks so far and am very impressed. Comes up to temp in a hurry and easy to maintain. Did a reverse-sear steak this weekend. Had it move from 350-550 in less than 10 minutes.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I have the same BGE's as MeatChurch.  The MiniMax gets by far the most usage now on a regular basis and the L and XL are called upon for larger cooks (full briskets and multiple shoulders) and for parties when there is a bunch of people to feed.  just do it and be happy.  you won't regret it

A pretty strong adult (I am 5' 11" and weigh a svelte 270 lbs) can carry it around without getting a hernia but it does weigh  a little over 70 lbs from what I've been told and it definitely feels that heavy.

It fires up to temp fast- both due to less ceramic mass as noted above and due to large firebox grate area and holes.  Mine is up to temp in 10-15 mins usually.  I do use the electric charcoal starter with a chimney and then pour lit coals onto some unlit ones in the firebox and the 15 minutes is all-inclusive of this process.

It uses a LOT less fuel than XL (even with Vortex or CGS lump reducing angles) and the L.

The height of the counter you are using is fine, but be sure you've got clearance and a non-flammable surface underneath it

get it and get the woo.  you will use the MiniMax for more applications than you ever imagined. It's a handy unit to have to augment the XL, and it's great for throwing a few burgers or sausages on, or using as a smaller pizza oven (which I will be experimenting with one week from Saturday)

I don't know about the small nest fitment though but it does come with a carrier.  I do have a little folding cart I use to get it to the parking lot for tailgates and to haul to the beach in Mexico for ultra fresh fish tacos!

• GreenWave36
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    You guys are going to make me spend more money. Now I want a MM!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I am still waiting on my dealer to get some in stock here in Baton Rouge

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    from everything I've heard the Kamado Joe Jr. is superior to the mini max in almost every possible way.
  • tz666
    Options
    my local dealer just told me that BGE is so far behind on filling orders for the MM that it will just be a waiting game and one day there will be a couple on the truck and she will call me. I have a stack of gift cards waiting.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2015
    Options
    from everything I've heard the Kamado Joe Jr. is superior to the mini max in almost every possible way.
    "is superior to the mini max in almost every possible way"

if by everything you mean it's cheaper? Yes

The Jr is different in many ways. I have one and like it. I think it's a better value but would not say it's better built. It does include a raised/indirect cooking rack. I don't really like it and still use my Woo from my Small BGE.
    Some like the stand better on the Joe Jr. Some don't because it's bulky.

It's all personal preference.

If your post was just to stir the **it sorry to get involved. lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    Options
    from everything I've heard the Kamado Joe Jr. is superior to the mini max in almost every possible

SDE-

That's like saying going to school in Tucson is superior in every way to going to school in Tempe!  GO DEVILS!

My local dealer in Tempe did indicate that the KJ JR. is a good grill to use but warranty follow-up by the company is a little more challenging than warranty replacement by BGE. 

All the drama on the MiniMax delivery dates last year (and at present time for those who have one on order) was and is a pain in the @$$ but to me, was well worth the wait.  HAD I KNOWN that the KJ JR was available at COSTCO via their roadshow last summer for the $349 deal, I would have picked one up last summer and forgotten about the MiniMax altogether.  Having the MiniMax though is very satisfying and I am glad I got it.  Who knows, maybe the KJ JR comes back to COSTCO this summer as part of the roadshow to Phoenix, maybe I'll pick one up just for comparison's sake.  BUT, I am a Big Green Egg loyal customer and that's who gets my money that I work by butt off for.   

But, I can say, Big Green Egg's replacement under warranty is stellar.  I've replaced an XL fire ring and XL platesetter (both cracked from heat stress)  AND multiple cinch studs/springs for XL at least three times for no cost.  I've not owned a KJ so I can't speak to the customer experience with them.  But, having a KJ JR at the Costco traveling roadshow price break might fit into my birthday or father's day celebrations this spring/summer.

All that being said, I LOVE the three Big Green Eggs I have  (XL, L and MM) and the MiniMax is quickly becoming a major workhorse, my 'go to' grill for many more cooks than I was doing with merely the L or the XL.  Firing up the XL was an event, the L became less so but still a pretty good fuel consumer and it required relatively more time to heat up vs. the MM.  Having the MiniMax now for a month and a week, I've probably fired it up 4x more frequently than I did the XL and 2x more frequently than the L.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     westernbbq   There is nothing challenging about the KJ warranty. It is all done direct with KJ not with dealer. No hassles trying to find a good dealer to help you. I have had great service with parts and questions with no issues. A few BGE dealers will just swap you a new part on the spot and I commend their service. My BGE dealer is great but they do order replacements parts for me at no charge. KJ had them delivered to my home at no charge. No waiting for weekly or monthly delivery from the BGE Dealer. Most of the time BGE service is only as good as your local dealer makes it. Good dealer, good service. Bad dealer, poor service.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    Options

that's actually excellent news and it makes me think even more intently about adding a KJ JR if they show up at Costco.   i will keep posting here regardless of whether that happens! Thanks for the info!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Photo Egg, that is good news indeed, about the warranty with KJ Jr.
    The reason I say this is I lost what little patience I have, and pulled the trigger on a junior through Ace Hardware. I will pick it up either this Friday or next. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    For all the KJ lovers :x >:D<
    http://forum.kamadojoe.com
    And they have tapatalk. Hasta Luego. :-SS
    Troll away.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I hear all they talk about over there are BGEs. b-(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Don't be hatin just cuz it's red, cost less, and comes with actuall accessories and cooks the same
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    grege345 said:

Don't be hatin just cuz it's red, cost less, and comes with actuall accessories and cooks the same

No hate. But, why be on a BGE forum if you think KJ is better by being cheap? Literally every MM thread regarding somebody wanting to buy one the the KJ appears. Don't like the MM then don't buy it. But, don't hate on it. There are many different vessels available. Look @SGH‌ and all his units and even a KJ. Folks with gassers, Blackstones, etc but, ya don't hear them do the bashing. I'm calling a spade a spade. I like the Red so make no mistake I don't dislike KJ.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Enough about the Joe jr...what do people think about the small egg vs the new mini max? I bought a small about 6 months before the mini max was released and want to know if I'm missing out!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @tz666‌ -- if you don't feel like waiting for the dealer in Baton Rouge to get the mm.
    Bassil's Ace hardware in Metairie has them now.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'd sat get the MM.. I'm cooking often on my large, and wanted something smaller for the little cooks.
    I find, that I can cook for my little family of 4, with two toddlers, and have plenty of room. Heats up fast, lights fast, needs two fist fulls of lump and it's ready to go. Only downfall is cleaning the minimax out. Hard to pull the ash out is only downfall, IMO. It fits nice on my SS table, and it's easy for me to move around if need be. Infact I bought it for the purpose of taking with me to our mtn get away in the spring through the fall in NC.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tz666
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ I have 400 bucks worth of gift cards to good wood hardware

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Hoov I don't have a MM, but do have a small and *ahem* another cooker sized similarly to a MM. They cook very similar in my book and I like the height of the small in a nest. Unless you want portability, I would say you aren't missing out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    @DMW‌ thanks for the input. I really like my small, but was thinking about a mini max because of all the rave reviews!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK