Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer cooler jockey box

2»

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    No I wish I had the time to get into it.  I enjoy watching other people craft it and I am good at drinking the results.  I am making the jockey box for my wedding / tailgating.  I'm not convinced it is truly necessary but I want one anyways.  Currently I'm looking at the kit from kegwork's or do you have any other recommendations on where to purchase these sort of kits from?    

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Yes.  Been doing about 9 years.  The past three years has just been a few 5 gal batches annually.. very busy. Before that I brewed ALOT.. more than the legal limit.. haha.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    @rtt121 - Nice, I'm getting close to my one year anniversary.  Up to 14 - 5 gallon batches right now.  Recently made the switch to all grain, although I still like the ease of extract brews.  Thinking about entering my first competition in the new year.  What is the legal limit you are allowed to brew?  Here in the GWN, I don't think we actually have one.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • rtt121
    If I recall correctly it is 120 gallons annnually . you actually need a state issued permit for 15 bucks too. I never got that so its all illegal. He he
  • Greeno55
    @McStew - I looked at those as well.  They have some real nice stuff.  From all the reading I did, the stainless steel is better than copper because you can run some more aggressive cleaners through it.  But for the amount of times I'll be using it, I decided on copper to save some money, flush the lines right away with something mild and sanitize.  The other thing to consider is how quickly you'll be running beer through the line.  For me, at most there'll be 3-4 pints poured at a time, so the 50' line can keep up.  But if you plan on having it pour pretty steady, you'll need 100+ feet to cool the beer quick enough.  That is, if the beer is not kept in a big bucket of ice and kept chilled.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • McStew
    well I have received all the parts in the mail so the assembly has stated. However I am a bit confused as to where the plastic ball and cup go?  any thoughts?   
    imageimage
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Greeno55
    That's a great question McStew, I've never come across anything like that.  What else is in that box? Just the tap?
  • Greeno55
    edited December 2014
    Wait wait!!  I just read your private message, and it goes in the coupler.  I remember now first time I took my Sanke apart to clean it, I had a hell of a time getting it all back together.  So I saved this.  Did you buy the coupler for Sanke kegs, or are you using home brew corny kegs?
    tap.png 14.3K
  • McStew
    @greeno55 it is a american style keg not a home brew. I think I can figure it out with this diagram.  Thanks I will let you know in a bit Thanks again 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    @greeno55 it fit like a charm thanks.  I ended up getting it from nybrewsuppply very nice product I just wish they had included some instructions.  image
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Damn, I just want to drink beer
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Greeno55

henapple said:
    Damn, I just want to drink beer
    Welcome to my all the time!
  • McStew
    Beer Tap handle finished for the big day!  Still pending the arrival of vintage Coleman cooler.   image
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Dang!  We built that in college.  I was in the Athletic Dept and Coke was a sponsor of us.  We got free co2 and any tubing we needed.....  We practically plumbed 5 adjoining apartments with beer lines.....

Oh, and also had access to all the ice making facilities that the university had..... unlimited ice!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• McStew

a work in progress but so far so good currently doing an air test .....I need a keg!

imageimage
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • rtt121
    edited January 2015
    Nice @McStew

I was replacing all my beer lines today and I realized that I was using 15' or 1/4id lines. Normal beer lines are 3/16id and I am down to about 10 ft with normal lines.  Still more than 6' by far.

@Lit , did you ever try longer lines and higher psi?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @rtt121‌ I have not but this just reminded me. I just checked and mine is right under 10 PSI right now with maybe 5' of hose. Not sure the diameter.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2015
    Man I drink a hell of a lot of beer. And I have never heard of a jockey box. I am either buzzed too often or live under a rock. Regardless, this is cool and a hobby I could see myself getting into.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Greeno55
    Nice to see it coming together @McStew‌. Got any shots of the back/inside? You do realize how to solve your missing keg problem right?
  • Greeno55
    Chubbs said:
    Man I drink a hell of a lot of beer. And I have never heard of a jockey box. I am either buzzed too often or live under a rock. Regardless, this is cool and a hobby I could see myself getting into.

It's a hell of a lot of fun. I did my first batch with a buddy on January 25th, 2014 for something to do for fun. Well I currently have my 16th and 17th batches fermenting, and have almost cut the chord completely with big breweries.
  • McStew
    Greeno55 said:
    Nice to see it coming together @McStew‌. Got any shots of the back/inside? You do realize how to solve your missing keg problem right?
    Thanks @Greeno55 this was a fun project the shots attached of the back and inside are bad as it is pushed behind a bunch of stuff for now until the big day.  I was a bit lazy when doing the tubing on the inside but it will do imageimage
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Greeno55
    Looks great. Will work awesome on the big day. Congrats.