Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's a Bit Cold in Madison

Options
dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
It may only be 0 degrees, but the Fiery Shrimp Diablo off the egg warmed me right up.  A couple of shots of Stoli Vanil in Diet Pepsi didn't hurt any either.image

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That's a nice app. What's the main course? :-?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Only kidding. Looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice shrimp 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice cook. Sounds like you had a little antifreeze to help you out.  Egg on!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Its cold in Glenbeulah WI also...

but you know you live in the only "Waunakee" in the world

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

ON WISCONSIN!

Try THAT with any other grill!  it's possible to cook this time of year in the frigid Midwest but the results off the BGE will be off the charts

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Kudos for cooking! 

GO BUCKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yes, kudos for cooking.  This is what I woke up to this morning ...

Looked so neat ... I left it as is and warmed up tortilla soup for dinner.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Yes, kudos for cooking.  This is what I woke up to this morning ...

Looked so neat ... I left it as is and warmed up tortilla soup for dinner.

FYI @Jeepster47 I put my grate rack on the sides of my large. It allows me to use two racks on one egg and keeps everything out of the way in front where all the business takes place.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    FYI @Jeepster47 I put my grate rack on the sides of my large. It allows me to use two racks on one egg and keeps everything out of the way in front where all the business takes place.
    @pgprescott ... I had the grate rack on the rear until I put a nest handler on a few weeks ago.  With the nest handler, the only open position is the front.  And yep, it doesn't really work there ... still thinking about my next move.  Thanks for the input though.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    I thought my smokeware top blew off, turned out the snow had just completely buried it!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @pgprescott ... I had the grate rack on the rear until I put a nest handler on a few weeks ago.  With the nest handler, the only open position is the front.  And yep, it doesn't really work there ... still thinking about my next move.  Thanks for the input though.

ok, yeah. You would need to drill another hole in the back leg of the nest just below the original that is being used by the handler. Any way, good luck. The handler is a really nice addition if you move the nest at all.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Tonight we are supposed to drop to -10 F.  Doing some Ribeyes Sous Vide and will sear them at 700 on the egg.  Will top with a nice wild mushroom demi glace sauce.

I did learn since I moved north that if I put tinfoil between the top and base, the eggs won't freeze together.  Took me a half hour the first time to get them unstuck by putting starters through the lower vent.

Egg on gentlemen and ladies!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• westernbbq
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Tonight we are supposed to drop to -10 F

Yikes! that's cold.  I remember those days growing up in Wisconsin and then ventured out west.  My knees, back and neck thank me every day-- no more arthritis.

But, when I was a kid, my dad and I used to grill steaks over the gas grill rectangular grate in our fireplace in winter.  the neighbors would all come over because the 'hood smelled like quite a barbecue.  Apple, oak and black walnut wood all infused incredible flavor.  Heck, sometimes my dad would get the leftover kinsford charcoal and throw that in as well.

But, the Green Egg can handle extreme conditions and it performs flawlessly every time.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    One of the things I like about the egg is that you can cook under any conditions - rain, sleet, snow, high winds...... Nice to have if your power goes out with adverse weather.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn @dlk7. ..good to hear you on here. 5 degrees with a twenty mph wind here tonight. Be glad you moved.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    It's even cold here in SC tonight - 18 degrees and possibly 4 with wind chill.... I knew I should have kept going until Miami.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

It's starting to warm up finally

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Only -12 here. Making Ice!
    NW IOWA
  • westernbbq
    Options

Buddy in WI just told me that the windchill in the area will be around -25 tonite.  Yikes!

72 in Phoenix today.  too chilly to swim but it's nice sweatshirt and grilling weather!

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Nice @dlk7, that looks great! It was -5 when I was driving over to Harbor Fitness this morning; we must be damn near neighbors. I'll have to shoot you a PM so we can share a cook and/or beer sometime.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI