Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gross things found in meat

Options
More and more often, I'm worrying about the things I'm putting in my mouth and the mouths of my family. On numerous occasions, I have found tumerous chicken and large swollen injection sites in chicken from large grocery retailers. Last night, I planned to cook some wings and was clipping the tips and separating the drums from flats. In every single wing of a family pack from Publix, there was a gellatinous pink pocket on the base of the drum. I cut a few of them out, but have no idea what they were. They would somewhat dissolve under hot water, but had the consistency of jello. They weren't a natural part of the chicken...that's for sure. I'm going to startbuying all my meat from a local grocer/butcher, where at least I know where it comes from. There seem to be chemicals in everything we eat. Not to go completely hippie, but this has to play a role in the prevalence of cancer, alzheimer's and numerous other neurological disorders that are far more prevalent today than in the past.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'm with you on this - the American food "industry" is so profit oriented it has long stopped giving a sh*t about nutrition and quality and is focused on extracting as much money as it can from consumers.

A gelatinous pink substance in each chicken wing, a product that is sold by the pound, might be harmless to your health, but you paid $X per pound for that stuff when you should have gotten 100% chicken.

I couldn't find a Thanksgiving turkey in the grocery store that didn't have X% "solution" of salt water and whatever else for $X per pound.

Look at the shelf life of "food" in the interior shelves at the grocery store.

They're killing us.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• cottonseed
    Options
    Eat what you kill as much as you possibly can. (if you kill).

Been doing it for years.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I don't disagree with you, food science and focus on production profit has no doubt led to some compromises in our food supply that aren't always visible, there have been some gains for the consumer as well - just compare the price of any organic/free range/non-hormone meat to what you get at a super, or frozen from Costco.  That brine-plumped turkey is no doubt going to be cheaper than the natural one.  Merely shifting to buying from a local storefront rather than a national chain storefront may not get you where you want to be, you have to ask to know where they source their meat - some small shops are opening up the same boxes of cryo-packed meat that the large supers do.

Your concern about the contribution of food science in disease development is a good one - the history of margarine bears that out and maybe also show's it's not always about the evil empire.  You might find this article interesting as well, it looks at links between cancers and genetic mutations, environmental factors and heredity.  No mention of karma, but some people will sub that for luck in the article - depends on your personal PoV.

http://www.bioquicknews.com/node/2088
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I'm less worried about the price, and more concerned with the health effects. While it may be immediately harmless, it's not a natural thing to put throught our digestive system. I still have no idea what it was. It would jiggle like underarm dpfat when you shook it, and was fully contained against the bone below the skin. I grew up slaughtering livestock, or at least being around it. While chickens are dirty animals, by nature, there is very low occurence of growths or tumors in them, unless they are exposed to methods to increase the growth or productivity. Large chain grocery chicken now has as much fat content as beef did 50 years ago. Chickens do not naturally have the yellow, thick fat we find in them today. That is from growing too large too fast. A local store, Stripling's General Store, in Watkinsville, GA, raises their own hogs on family farms in S GA. For beef and seafood, the get directly from Buckhead Beef. Certified angus beef and frsh, wild, gulf caught seafood trucked in a few times a week. For specialty meats, they use Snake River Farms. The get their chicken locally and won't accept a bird over 3 lbs...their natural size, and where the meat is most tender and bad fat content hasn't started to produce. I've been buying most meat from them, but from now on, everything will come from them.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    If you think buying a 3 lb bird is healthier than a 5 lb bird beacuse its a more natural weight you're mistaken. The life cycle of farmed chickens is very short. Small bird about 4 weeks, large bird 10-12 days longer. They just harvest them sooner for the smaller size. Go organic free range if you want to be healthier.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    So what is the gelatin like substance found in chicken wings? I see that here all the time and have always wondered wtf it is?
    NW IOWA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    So what is the gelatin like substance found in chicken wings? I see that here all the time and have always wondered wtf it is?
    While I'm not sure if what people are talking about is due to added stuff or not, gelatin is a natural byproduct of animals.  In fact, extracting and concentrating gelatin is desired when making homemade stock.  if your stock gels when chilled, it is from the gelatin that comes out of the bones and cartilage and fat and stuff.  it is what adds a certain creaminess to clear soups.  some people make chicken stock from chicken feet to get all of the gelatin goodness they can.
    I tried chicken feet once and found it wasn't as good as my normal stock IMO.  I use a lot of chicken bones in my stock.  I'm canning some Ham stock as I type.  It was a nice gel coming out of the fridge this AM.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Frankly, I have enough to worry about trying to control my sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol intake. I have to limit beef and pork products and eat a LOT of poultry. I've never noticed any weird stuff in grocery store chickens (or chicken parts) though I do have to read the sodium label. Some birds contain 400+mg of sodium per 4 oz serving. Others, 50 or less. I hate labels!

Still, I refuse to become a vegan.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Frankly, I have enough to worry about trying to control my sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol intake. I have to limit beef and pork products and eat a LOT of poultry. I've never noticed any weird stuff in grocery store chickens (or chicken parts) though I do have to read the sodium label. Some birds contain 400+mg of sodium per 4 oz serving. Others, 50 or less. I hate labels! Still, I refuse to become a vegan.
    good for you.  BTW, at some point in time all the food you eat came from a plant.  Cows eat grass (or corn when fed corn), so cows are vegetarians and if you are what you eat, then I am a vegetarian because I eat vegetarians.  Even chickens that eat bugs, well most bugs eat plants, so as long as you go back far enough in the food chain, all food energy consumed came from the sun.  Plants convert sunlight into stored energy in sugars and it is the basis of the entire food chain on our planet.  Eating animals is just eating plant food that has been additionally processed before you consumed it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'm eating healthier, most of the time. Want to extend the 'good years' without becoming a monk, whatever that balance is.   On the other hand...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/world-death-rate-holding-steady-at-100-percent,1670/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Philly35 said:
    While I'm not sure if what people are talking about is due to added stuff or not, gelatin is a natural byproduct of animals.  In fact, extracting and concentrating gelatin is desired when making homemade stock.  if your stock gels when chilled, it is from the gelatin that comes out of the bones and cartilage and fat and stuff.  it is what adds a certain creaminess to clear soups.  some people make chicken stock from chicken feet to get all of the gelatin goodness they can.
    I tried chicken feet once and found it wasn't as good as my normal stock IMO.  I use a lot of chicken bones in my stock.  I'm canning some Ham stock as I type.  It was a nice gel coming out of the fridge this AM.
    Gelatin occurs when collagen is exposed to heat for a long enough time to convert it. There should be no gelatin in raw meat, unless you sprinkle Jello powder on it. Boiling bones(making stock) converts collagen-containing connective tissue like marrow into slippery, unctuous gelatin. Samoe thing happens during the process of making barbecued meat. All slow-cooked meat is actually really dried out. The melted connective tissue is what makes it seem "moist".
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I've also been reading a lot more about the chemical-infused meat products we buy.  i used to buy things that were the absolute lowest cost because i am frugal.  when it comes to spending money on the big green egg and its accessories, that's another matter...

But, I have begun shopping around in my area for more holistic type type of organic foods.  in fact, i make my own red sauce now for pasta and for pizza on the egg using organic plum tomatoes which i blanch, peel and then crush.  fresh, organic produce is everywhere in Phoenix.

As to the meats, Whole Foods, Sprouts and a few other local butchers have some decent offerings which i'll be doing a lot more experimentation with on the cooking side.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Okay, who is going to post the squirrel thread?? @Mickey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    This thread needs pictures! Come-on there has to be some good stuff out there.   :-\"
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Did someone say "where be da pictures?!"

Options
    Mayberry said:
     Not to go completely hippie,
    WTF do you have against "hippies"????

Signed: Class of 77 and consumer of Whole Foods type meats and poultry.

(and former pot smoker)
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This kind of thread reminds me of investigative journalism where they bring a black light to a nice hotel room so you can see hidden disgusting things. Call me an ostrich, but I don't want to know. The alternative is to never buy meat or sleep in hotels.

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    When the title said "gross things found in meat"...I thought my wife was on the forum.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Anyone got a good "egged lettuce" recipe?   :-S

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    damn @Nolaegghead was that necessary??
    X_X
  • henapple
    Options
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited January 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    When the title said "gross things found in meat"...I thought my wife was on the forum.
    No.  I think that would be "Meat found in gross things" or "Gross meat found in things."
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Oregon disease. Not what was on your wings, but still quite common. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Eat what you kill as much as you possibly can. (if you kill).

Been doing it for years.

And hunters get a bad rap
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Fredflintstone. Get your head out of the sand or where ever it may be my friend and hunt or pick up road kill for a living like I do :-&
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep. That's the one. :-h
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    What @NolaEgghead posted is a fear of mine. Pay good money for a large roast for an important meal. Go to slice table-side, and when the first slice falls, something is looks and is obviously very wrong.

I wonder if they can/do screen/x-ray for things like that?
    I wonder if I would notice a difference when I put my thermometer in prior to cooking if I would notice a difference in resistance?!?

With doing as much fishing as I do, I have seen all kinds of things when cleaning fish. Tumors, worms in their flesh, parasites etc. Only once can I remember discarding a fish because of something gross. The rear half of a tuna loin was very dark and super mushy. Kind of like something rammed it, badly bruised it, and the muscle was rotting from the inside out. We ended up cutting it up and using it for chum on the next trip. At least it was not "wasted" via throwing it to the crabs, seagulls or worse yet, the trash.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As far as I know, I've never heard you can get tumors from eating tumors, or worms from eating cooked worms.  Also, disease can be very, very tasty.  For example, corn smut from the pathogenic fungus Ustilago maydis.